Join our zoo community

Luneburg Heath Wildlife park

Discussion in 'Germany' started by Thatzookeeperguy, 20 Nov 2016.

1. Thatzookeeperguy

Thatzookeeperguy Active Member

Hey guys

Planning on going on a zoo tour in Germany next July and was wondering if Luneberg Heath Wildlife Park was easy to get to via public transport from Hamburg?

Im going there mainly to see the bears and wolves in a mixed species exhibit and was also wondering If they are still together and if its easy to see them near each other? ( photography purpose)

2. animal_expert01

animal_expert01 Well-Known Member

I don't know anything about the park and whether or not the bears and wolves are still together but they seem easy enough to photograph. Here is a picture I found on the internet:

Attached Files:

3. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

From your post I suspect you mean this place
    Wildpark Luneburger Heide ,in which case un-like animal_expert01 I will not waste your time reading a post that tells you next to nothing,when I visited the collection they were mixed and from my own experience there is every chance you will be able to see and photograph them together without any bother.As far as I am concerned this is the best Wildpark that I have visited in Germany and I have visited about 5 or 6 of them.The public transport question I cannot answer but I would say knowing Germany that there will be a way of being able to get there without too many problems!

4. Bib Fortuna

Bib Fortuna Well-Known Member

There is a public transportion connection. From Hamburg Central station, take the train in direction to Bremen Central Station. Get out at"Buchholz(Nordheide), it is a 22 minutes ride. From there , a bus is going to the Wildpark Lüneburger Heide. Here's the timetable of the bus:

http://media.wild-park.de/pdf/Fahrplan-4207-4408-4206.pdf?m=1424952651

To your second question :I 've been several times to the park in the past, and and on each of my visits, the wolfs were in their seperate exhibit adjected to the bear exhibit-but it was open, so they could change exhibits at any time. I have also to say I don't like this combination. Both species are no friends in the wild and avoid any confrontation. A few years ago, a wolf was killed by a bear in a german Wild Animal park, and I've seen by myself a bear attack on a wolf, what was coming to close to the bear in another park. So I can not garantuee you will get good pictures of them together at the Wildpark Lüneburger Heide, but maybe you will have luck.

5. Thatzookeeperguy

Thatzookeeperguy Active Member

Hi Bib

Thank you for your detailed instructions for public transport I appreciate it greatly : )

I must say that alot of the reasons I want to go to Wildpark Luneburger Heide is to see the dynamics between these animals in this enclosure. I have heard of a few cases of bears and wolf problems when kept together and it has made me more curious as to how parks are doing it and why there doing it at all.