Join our zoo community

Borth Animalarium Lynx escape

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Devi, 29 Oct 2017.

1. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

Well that is just unforgivable imo - they obviously don't know what they are doing.

marmolady likes this.
  2. Fresco3

Fresco3 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I agree, it seems like they've taken on more than they can handle. Even if enclosures were inadequate when they took over, they should have been upgraded. And this second incident is seemingly inexperienced staff under stress that handled a situation very unprofessionally.

I can't help but think that timing is playing a bigger part in people's reactions though. If the whole Lilleth escape hadn't happened would people be more sympathetic towards this incident?

3. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

It is a bit of a moot point isn't it? The two have happened together and as such people will judge them based on that fact.

I don't think I would be more sympathetic though tbh. I was more willing to cut them some slack re the escape as they do appear to have taken on a big job in terms of the improvements required. Of course they should have adequate enclosures and be making progress on making whatever improvements are required - but I also understand that they may have (rightly or wrongly) prioritised other aspects over the Lynx enclosure.

I'm far less inclined to forgive the fact they didn't seem to be aware of the escape for some time having not checked on the lynx adequately, or the fact they have had this terrible incident. These are animal management / handling issues.

Last edited: 13 Nov 2017
  4. amaroc

amaroc Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Lynx Trust Uk's statement brings few things to light

Lynx UK Trust

Chlidonias likes this.
  5. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Lynx Trust statement is 'stirring' and anti-zoo. Anyone who works with animals knows that accidents happen.

TNT, Fallax, bongorob and 4 others like this.
  6. amaroc

amaroc Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I have worked with animals and yes accidents do happen, but it seems from that statement that the original escape was due to neglect, not cutting the tree back as they were told to do.
    They seem reluctant to answer questions and want to blame everyone else.
    Naivety at the cost of animal life is no excuse, did they not realise when they bought the place that they would need far more money
    to restore and very experienced help

7. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

An exchange with one commentator on that exposes how Lynx UK Trust feel, after the chap pointed out the problems highlighted were with the previous owner

"appreciate previous owners left numerous problems, they did not include instructions to strangle a lynx so far as we're aware"

I can't see it now, but they said something along the lines of "we'll go after any zoo that mistreats lynx"

8. Devi

Devi Well-Known Member 10+ year member

They keep claiming that the escape was due to the poor enclosure, but the enclosure wasn't the issue at all, rather the management of it (trees) and the knowledge of the animals (allowing a lot of fighting, keeping unrelated animals together) along with procedures (counting the animals daily and making sure everyone is present). From my fairly minor zoo career I also learned that there should be a secure boundary outside the zoo meaning that escaped animals have two boundaries to get over before they reach the outside world this clearly wasn't the case here.

Basically most of the issues were the new owners, and blaming the old ones is just erroneous.

As for Nilly, I had a really sick feeling in my stomach when I heard this, she was a hand reared lynx and very tame, the old owners moved her by putting her in a carrier themselves and as a juvenile she would come to anyone. If she needed moving and the current owners weren't able to tempt her into a carrier then why didn't they call the old owners? I have never in my life heard of big cats being moved by dog catch poles, it seems so bizarre to do this over tempting them into an enclosure or getting the vet in to dart them. Plus how long do you need to hold a cat to asphyxiate them? This was not a momentary mistake but a prolonged ignorance.

The new owners have no zoo background, they have no zoo knowledge, there should be some sort of regulation that if these kind of people buy a zoo that they should need to hire a manager. I hope it doesn't close from this, but changes need to happen.

marmolady likes this.
  9. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The zoo will be re-opening on the 2nd of December

This month we have remained closed to undergo vital refurbishment work and in that time, we have also undergone a full inspection. A team of inspectors have spent four days going over our establishment with a fine-tooth comb and they gave us a long list of things that need improving. Many of the things on the list we were aware of and had already planned to tackle the problems. The good thing is this period of closure has allowed us to really crack on with what needs doing and push forward our timetable of works.

We have had a complete clear out and an amazing army of volunteers have been helping us with cutting, cleaning, digging and painting in an effort to bring this attraction up to modern standards. Staff protocols have been completely revamped and our already experienced, qualified zookeepers (and directors) will all undergo an increased training programme including work placements at other larger zoos around the UK.

Restoration work will continue for the rest of this week but, all going well, we will be reopening to the public next Saturday, 2nd of December. I do hope you will support what we are trying to do here and that you have a pleasant experience the next time you visit.

Brum likes this.
  10. 14556

14556 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Fresco3 and Chlidonias like this.
  11. cliffxdavis

cliffxdavis Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It seems the local authority want to ban them from keeping Cat 1 animals.

I had to look up what this meant and if you too are curious go to the gov.uk site and search for

Secretary of State’s Standards of Modern Zoo Practice

The explanations for categories of animal i.e. 1 for highest risk, for next highest and if not listed in 3.

Interestingly they can keep Aardwolves but not Hyenas.

12. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

I have no idea about the categories, but the Aardwolf is a timid little thing compared to it's big cousin.

13. Fresco3

Fresco3 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Category 1 appears to include:
    - Most large Monkeys (Guenons, baboons, mandrills, geladas, macaques, capuchins etc.)

- Kangaroos

- Vampire Bats

- Great Apes and Gibbons

- Giant Anteaters

- Sloths

- Wolves, hyaenas and Hunting Dogs

- All bears

- Wolverines and Ratels

- All species of otter

- Fossas

- All wild cats (Including Lynx)

- All pinnipeds

- Elephants and rhinos

- Zebras, asses and Wild Horses

- Wild Boar, bush pigs, warthogs, babirusa and peccaries

- Hippos (Both Species)

- Camels

- Large Deer (Sika, Red etc.)

- Males of smaller deer (such as fallow and roe deer)

- Moose, Elk and male reindeer

- Giraffes (but not okapi)

- Elands, adult male sitatungas, kudus, bongos etc.

- Buffalo and Anoas

- Ankole cattle, yaks etc.

- Bison

- Adult male waterbuck, sable antelope, lechwes and kobs

- Oryxes and Gemsbok (but not addaxes)

- Wildebeest (but not hartebeest, bontebok, blesbok or topis)

- Musk Ox, barbary sheep, adult male tahrs, ibex, markhors and wild goats

- Bighorn Sheep and Argalis

- Killer whales, false killer whale and pygmy killer whales (but not other whales or dolphins)

- Ostrich and cassowaries (but not emus or rheas)

- Condors, most vultures, harpy eagles, crowned eagles and martial eagles

- Adult parent eagle owls (only with young or breeding)

- Ground Hornbills

- Snapping Turtles

- Crocodiles, Caimans, Alligators, Gharials etc.

- Komodo Dragons

- Gila Monsters, beaded lizards, pythons and boas over 3m

- All venomous snakes

- Poisonous Frogs

- Moray Eels and Electric Eels

- Venomous Fish

- All Sharks

- Venomous and Electric Rays

- Venomous Octopi

- Venomous Crustaceans

- Venomous Spiders

Just thought this may have been of interest to some people.

I know very little of this applies to Borth but just thought it was worth sharing.

Interesting to note that you can keep Okapis and Narwhals with less licensing than European Wildcats and Ostrich.

Seems like a very interesting list to say the least.

But if Borth don't succeed in their appeal, they cannot hold class 1 species anymore. This includes their lynx amongst other large animals.

bongorob likes this.
  14. Zooreviewsuk

Zooreviewsuk Well-Known Member

If they lose that aspect of their license, they will surely close.

15. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It would certainly compromise them being a 'zoo' in the true sense of the word but I don't know what an 'Animalarium' counts as- is it even a word?

16. Fallax

Fallax Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It is quite surprising that penguins are category 3

17. Zooreviewsuk

Don't they have Jaguar, Lion's, Crocodiles, and Snakes. So as well as Lynx they would have to go ?

Fresco3 and Pertinax like this.
  18. Fallax

Fallax Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Leopards not Jaguars. Also I think some primates that are category 1

Fresco3 and Pertinax like this.
  19. Zooreviewsuk

W
    What type of Leopard's are they ?

20. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The elderly male called Rajah is a hybrid