Join our zoo community

Lynx re-introduction in the UK ?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by vogelcommando, 9 Mar 2015.

1. DDcorvus

DDcorvus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Since when is UKIP one of the main parties. The only election they scored more than the other parties was in one, where on 35% of the voters showed up.

2. lamna

lamna Well-Known Member

I hope they consulted the OMRLP if they talked to Diet BNP.

3. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I believe the six parties interviewed were the Conservatives, Labour, Liberal Democrats, SNP, UKIP and Plaid Cymru.

4. garyjp

garyjp Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Plaid Cymru all wanted Welsh lynxes as did the SNP
    Lab/Lib/Con - only wanted the metropolitan elite lynx
    Ukip wanted a points system for all cat like species
    oh and don't forget the illegal lynx camp at Calais for the lorry jumping Lynx who wanted political asylum

5. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

As somebody of Welsh origin and very proud of being Welsh and part of the United Kingdom,I find this type of attempted humour not in the slightest bit funny!!!!!!!!

6. DDcorvus

DDcorvus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Fair space then for all parties. Only the greens and BNP were left out and both are truly marginal. And as the next elections might give another coalition government it will be interesting to see how these positions work out.

7. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

8. Ailouros

Ailouros Member

A strong argument for reintroducing the lynx and other former natives is this: Conservationists in rich countries like ours are forever lecturing the people in poor countries telling them to preserve their biodiversity.

Imagine an African comes to Britain on safari, to see bears, wolves and lynxes. He says 'What? You haven't got any? Oh, you killed them all to protect your livestock? Then who the hell are YOU to lecture US?

Wouldn't it strengthen our case if we could tell them 'But we brought them back'? And we can much better afford to pay our farmers compensation where necessary than can poor countries.

9. bigcat speciali

bigcat speciali Well-Known Member

10. bigcat speciali

The lynx trust will require a DWA licence which comes from the local authority, somehow I cannot see that happening any time soon. There are many who have found many flaws in Dr Paul O’Donoghue's research. the fear factor and movement of deer, along with lynx are seen as the controller of deer numbers, to the numbers of lynx being reintroduced, to the areas being chosen and the lack of local authorities agreeing on licensing. There will be howls of outrage from the farming community as well as the hunting & shooting fraternity, there is no formal agreement of compensation (as like with the sea eagle), various NGOs and other GOs have said they are against such reintroduction of an apex predator. When I did the report for Paul Lister for the same, lynx reintroduction, at his Alladale Estate, he did not understand how licence, right to roam laws and how the public and organisations have such a huge input into our modern countryside. Needless to say, he wanted and still does want "yes" men in his group.

11. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

I don't understand how the comments in the first article (the UKIP one) work. Are you sure it's even a real article?

"This is typical of our failed immigration policy, which is now a free-for-all for whoever wants to enter our country," That just sounds to clichéd UKIP. It's not a free for all for lynx, they aren't going to be coming across the border of their own accord.

"We don't have the housing or jobs for these animals. They will simply come to our shores, sponge off the state, use our health service and eat our deer and rabbits." Again, this sounds too ridiculous to be something a politician would say. Lynx don't need jobs!

And I don't get this at all: "Australian or Indian animals would be fine, as they can more easily adapt to our ways,"

12. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

The URL for that article even *says* it is a spoof article :p

Always remember; check your sources!

13. Macaw16

Macaw16 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Please may I point out this UKIP, who think unemployed people shouldn't be allowed cars.

The Discover Wildlife article is the one that I spoke of earlier in this thread from BBC Wildlife Magazine (they're the same company), just doesn't have all the questions asked to the political parties.

14. bigcat speciali

Glad someone saw "spoof" in the ink, I was hoping it would have been picked up sooner

15. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member