Join our zoo community

Columbus Zoo and Aquarium M. Man's Columbus Zoo and Aquarium Review

Discussion in 'United States' started by Milwaukee Man, 18 Aug 2018.

1. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Here is an “M. Man Review” first – a two-part zoo review! Part of this is because I divided my visit to this large zoo into two days. I assure you, the next segment will not take a few months to post. :p Until then, enjoy the first segment of my review of what was for me, “the one that started it all!”

Review of the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium

Columbus Zoo and Aquarium - Home

The world-famous Columbus Zoo and Aquarium can be found near Powell, Ohio, a smaller town close to the capital city of Columbus. It started in 1927, however it was not until 1956 that the Zoo made its mark in the zoological world; this is when Colo became the first western lowland gorilla to be born in captivity. Years went by, and the Zoo also gained attention when Jack Hanna served as director from 1978 to 1993, paving the way for Columbus to become the world-class institution it is today. At over 7,000 individual animals, representing more than 800 species, the Zoo’s current collection is one of the largest and most extensive.

When I first visited Columbus in 2008, it quickly became my all-time favorite zoo. It also served as the very first in a long line of new zoos I would see each year from then on. So in a way, there was somewhat of a nostalgic feeling returning to this facility. Ten years and many more zoos later, although Columbus has been dethroned as my #1 zoo, I feel it is not only as great as I remembered, but even better. The exhibit areas I originally saw are still solid for the most part, the changes and additions that were made are very welcome, and there is so much else for visitors to do (including an adjacent water and theme park, and golf course across the street) at this Ohio attraction – one could form a short vacation just at this one destination!

Animal Exhibit Complexes

North America – Of the major exhibit complexes featured, this one is the oldest. Despite this fact, however, it holds up fairly well on the whole. Part of that is due to a portion of the exhibits receiving an overhaul in 2016. After following a winding path, the first animal enclosure seen is a shaded pond area for trumpeter swan, while Mexican gray wolves reside in a nice, large wooded habitat across the path. The pathway splits up here, and front and center is a large, horseshoe-shaped grassy paddock with American bison and pronghorn. It’s a scenic and strong beginning to the complex, and a small windmill seen at the top of the hill is a nice touch to the plains atmosphere. I headed off to the right towards the “Habitat Hollow and Barn” area, leading to a small clearing with a train station, old western-style restrooms, and another crossroad. Going to the left takes visitors to the prairie dog habitat, a good-sized dirt mound habitat that can be seen from two separate windows. There is also an added bonus in the form of a walkthrough tunnel with an opening in the middle to pop-up for photos. To the right, the trail continues through the forest, coming across the rest of North America’s wildlife.

To begin with, there is a good spacious habitat for two bobcats, with plenty of grass, a rocky pool, bushes, and even a couple pieces of rural scenery such as an upside down wagon used as a shelter. This is followed by an American black bear exhibit that is average in size and design (though I did see one bear make use of its wood climbing structure), a great lush moose habitat that is viewed on a boardwalk surrounded by a marsh (nice touch), and generic enclosures for reindeer and sandhill cranes. At this point, the path crosses the train tracks towards Polar Frontier and Heart of Africa, and we’ll cover those in a bit. Carrying on, next to the black bears, river otters (didn’t see) have a huge habitat that is packed with foliage, but I was a bit surprised to see a pool that was only about so-so in size for such aquatic mammals. Normally those animals have pools that are the center of attention in such exhibits. Around the corner, two American carnivores are seen – a pair of cougars in a good-sized space with decent naturalistic detailing, and a small, steep wolverine exhibit with viewing from inside a rustic cabin. Aside from the moose, reindeer, and wolverine habitats, these are the exhibits that were renovated or added in 2016 – some of them are either fairly basic or have obvious sight lines, but overall work fine for their occupants.

Down the path is a tranquil walkthrough aviary that is very nice with plenty of vegetation, streams and a pond, and home to several species like American robin, tufted titmouse, killdeer, and ibis (I believe it was white-faced). Nearby, there is a bald eagle aviary viewed through wire that consists of two large nests, a series of logs for perching, and a good amount of plants. The complex finishes off with a wetlands area featuring a decent beaver exhibit with underwater viewing (I forgot how big those rodents are! :eek:), and a series of fishponds with native species. On a side note, I remember these ponds having glass windows, but now there’s educational signage covering them, so now one can only see the fish from the surface. The path finally returns to the bison/pronghorn habitat and the intersection by the wolves.

Polar Frontier – Making its debut in 2010, this is an extension of the North American complex. There are only three species here, but the level of quality is phenomenal throughout from the animal habitats to the guest educational features. It begins with a brief walk past a little gemstone mining area and several thought-provoking quotes about conserving the Arctic and global climate change, before arriving at the animal enclosures. The polar bear habitat is fantastic, without a doubt the best I’ve seen. The great white bears have a massive space (over an acre) with a rocky shoreline, an upside-down boat with a broken bow to form a shelter, a large pool of varying depth that has underwater viewing – part of which curves over visitors’ heads, and tons of green grass and other vegetation that almost blend into the background, creating a great sense of immersion. Nearby, a pair of male brown bears (relocated from North America) also resides in a superb habitat. It is a large area that winds around some mock rock and offers up lush grass, a colossal mound to dig through, and a stream that flows into a nice pool with underwater viewing. Finally, Arctic foxes (not seen as the exhibit was closed) are found in a cage that is average in both size and quality. That’s not all though; the visitor experience is also magnificent. The entire complex is set up like a mining company; for instance, the ramp down to the polar bear underwater viewing looks like a mine tunnel – complete with a mine cart above the passage door! Additionally, there’s a large interactive center called “Ice Bear Outpost.” This is an outstanding structure that has a tiny ice-themed play area, a window into the Arctic fox indoor room, a little gift shop, a plethora of information about climate change, polar bear conservation, and Columbus’ polar bear residents, and even interactive screens on the floor where one must push an ice flow towards a bear to rescue it. It’s all extremely well done, and one of the best exhibit interpretive displays I’ve ever seen. Lastly, the “Polar Playground” is a large play area for children, and is the last feature to be found in Columbus’ Arctic-themed section.

Heart of Africa – The Zoo’s newest exhibit complex, which opened in 2014. A small and barren dromedary camel paddock is the first feature of this complex, before coming across the well-designed “Mudiwa Village.” There are various realistically designed buildings, pathways to simulate cracked mud, a little amphitheater area, and the first views into the two major habitats. There is also the “Mapori Restaurant,” which offers an additional look into these spacious enclosures. The first is the lion habitat, a very long exhibit that is packed with grass; a small rocky pool; panoramic views into the gigantic savannah behind; an up-close viewing area, part of which is very inventively within a crashed airplane; a backdrop that replicates some old ruins; and an incredibly steep moat that divides the big cats from the pathway. To be honest, I’m not entirely sold on the design of this exhibit mostly because of the enormous moat (can they access it?); not only is the space above quite narrow and thus a little small, but I feel it could’ve been better utilized. Having said that, it is still a more than adequate lion habitat and definitely an upgrade from the smaller enclosures near Asia Quest. The savannah yard behind is a breathtaking sight with barriers that are seemingly invisible and blend into the trees and hills in the background splendidly. The habitat itself is magnificent with 43 acres to roam, tall and short grasses, termite mounds, trees that sprinkle the vast plains, a separate enclosure for giraffe feedings, a rocky barrier, and a wonderful species line-up: giraffe (Masai and reticulated), Grant’s zebra, greater kudu, gazelle (Thomson’s, dama, and slender-horned – didn’t see), wildebeest, ostrich – in the “Waterhole” habitat, African crowned crane, saddle-billed stork, and Guinea fowl. Another exhibit situated in front of the main savannah is the “Waterhole,” a fairly large and grassy paddock with a small pool that is looked down upon. There are several animals that rotate throughout this habitat, from some of the savannah species, to cheetahs used for the daily cheetah runs, to a few surprise species like spotted hyena, warthog, and even black-backed jackal. On my visit, six ostriches were found in the grassy space. Across the pathway, the cheetahs live in a grassy enclosure with some bushes that is viewed through fencing and a series of windows. The exhibit is on the small side, but because the speedy cats can rotate into the “Waterhole” habitat sometimes, I think it’s fine. Then, an active troop of vervet monkeys (believe this is a first for me, and including a baby) lives in a mesh-enclosed habitat with grass, branches, and even a shaded area by the viewing windows. This section in question is designed like a traditional house with a patio consisting of chairs and a small table. As vervets are said to be similar to raccoons in Africa as nuisances, the educational signage here creatively teaches people the similarities between the two animals, and how to avoid such conflicts with one another. Finally, before backtracking along the same path towards the exit, there is the giraffe feeding pavilion, which is the only primary view of the savannah yards. Also located here is an animal enclosure that almost seems hidden, but upon closer inspection, I was surprised to see a pair of African spurred tortoises living inside. It took a number of years, and while there were a few things to nitpick about in my opinion, the end result was a beautiful, huge, and highly authentic safari adventure that was well worth the wait.

Asia Quest – This was the newest complex in the Zoo back in 2008, opening in two phases in 2006. After walking under a cool stone archway with clawed feet at its bases, guests walk across a covered bridge with two animal exhibits. One side has red-crowned cranes and western tufted deer, while the other side is for Siberian musk deer and giant Malaysian pond turtle (neither of which weren’t seen) – both are fairly nice for their occupants. After viewing the outdoor silvered leaf langur habitat, complete with grass and artificial trees, one steps foot into the oriental-themed “Quest for Enlightenment Interpretive Center.” Tons of educational features about animal conservation and the tragedy of animals getting poached for their parts grab one’s attention as they stroll through the mysterious setting. Other displays include a dragon with a “TV ball” narrating about Earth’s largest continent and its fragile existence, and a line of statues each representing the eight tiger species. Five are intact, while three of them are destroyed – these are the extinct Caspian, Javan, and Bali species. The animal exhibits continue with a wooden indoor room and a gorgeous, naturalistic habitat for a sloth bear (formerly sun bears – one remains off-display), followed by terrariums holding a reticulated python; a Khomain’s water monitor; a roomy space with bright skylights featuring bats (flying fox and golden mantled), crested wood partridge, and another bird species; and two indoor langur spaces with vast windows and plentiful ruins and height. Returning outside, the trail continues to the left, but not before seeing the entrance to “Vanishing Giants,” one of the largest pachyderm buildings in North America. The black rhinoceros has a typical indoor area, but the Asian elephants have a very good interior home. The space is fairly big, there is a pool, a cluster of fake tree trunks, a dirt floor, and the viewing windows offer an extremely close and awesome look. The outdoor paddock is also above average and one of the better Asian elephant habitats I’ve seen. It’s spacious, has a large pool, a number of enrichment sections (including a hanging feeder I saw a young bull utilizing), there’s different substrates of grass and sand, and even a rise in elevation as the exhibit winds around a visitor path peninsula.

Further along the trail, a red panda exhibit comes into view. On first glance, it seems like a fairly small, basic area for the red critters with a grassy area, rocks, and a variety in terrain; but what really elevates it for me is the extremely tall tree that lies within. I looked up and saw a single panda dozing near the top – with a significantly expanded number of opportunities for enrichment and natural behavior, this suddenly became one of my favorite red panda exhibits! Continuing through the foliage, there is a walkthrough aviary that is a decent-sized lush area with several free-ranging species. Some include western cattle egret, azure-winged magpie, and even an elderly white-naped crane and a muntjac, which walked right past my legs. Across the path, a herd of markhor can be seen in an enclosure that is mostly dominated by mock rock, but I was happy to see some grass on the ground area. I believe I remember seeing the exhibit being open-air, but now there is mesh that covers the entire area and visitor viewing. Nevertheless, it is a solid mountain environment with plenty of climbing areas for the unique goats. It is here that the path becomes enclosed in a wooden shelter, with lots of oriental artifacts and conservation signage, more viewing into the markhors, and glass windows for the next two habitats. First is a Pallas’ cat exhibit, that is unfortunately almost entirely fake rock and quite tiny. The last exhibit is for the Amur tiger, and it is a superb finale to the complex. The world’s largest cats have a big, forested habitat with a pool and a couple streams, and many changes in terrain ranging from hills to large fake rocks to scale. It is easily one of the best Amur tiger habitats I’ve seen – probably only beaten by Minnesota’s gargantuan pair of enclosures. Years later, the complex still holds up very well with its mostly excellent exhibits and wonderful theming and education.

HIGHLIGHT OF THE DAY: I had hands-down the greatest polar bear experience I’ve had in my life. One of the two bears, which looked to be a younger adult or adolescent, was diving into the pool by the main viewing windows. Eager for the possibility of seeing a polar bear swimming above me, I made my way down to the underwater area. It required some patience, but after the second dive since I got down there, the bear soon made its way towards the above water window to interact with the crowds – right over my head! It would swim along with the top window, jump around, and one time even dove down by to the underwater window next to the excited onlookers. It was an absolute blast to be seeing polar bears from an entirely new point of view! :D

Last edited: 18 Aug 2018
  2. blospz

blospz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

If you only saw two polar bears, the adolescent above you then was Amelia Gray (my favorite of the three cubs).

Milwaukee Man likes this.
  3. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

And we're back! So far, I've been having an enjoyable time at the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium, with the first day consisting of the front half with two brand-new-to-me sections and two original (but still modified to some degree) sections - all of which are really well-done and stand out for one reason or another. Does the second half, which I covered the very next day, stack up just as well? Let's find out...

Shores – There are two separate buildings that make up the bulk of this aquatic-themed complex. Discovery Reef is a fairly small aquarium structure that is not great, but pleasant. Exhibits include a rocky touch pool that allows visitors to interact with marine invertebrates; some tanks situated within a submarine (with species like clownfish and Bangaii cardinalfish); a nice reef tank that houses sharks (zebra, blacktip reef, and epaulette – didn’t see) and angelfish, among other different types of fish; and a tiny coral reef nursery. The complex’s biggest attraction is situated right next door, and is Manatee Coast. It opened in 1999 as both a rehabilitation center and exhibition for the Florida manatee, and has served almost 30 of the sea cows in its nearly 20 years of operation. Yet again, the immersive details and theming are top-notch, with a walkthrough mangrove forest, a simulated Florida boat ride that guests can pretend to drive, and boardwalks with various shacks and signage that either explain manatee and wetland conservation or the impressive process of manatee rehab. All the while, the pathway slopes downwards as the exhibit pool gets deeper and deeper. The manatee pool itself is excellent, with a good amount of space (maybe slightly small for the number of animals at the present time, but that's just a temporary issue), varying amounts of depth, a shack and dock that may serve as a refuge, and tons of natural light pouring in from the skylights and expansive windows behind. The sea cows (six of them :eek:, which were feeding on lettuce at the time of my visit) share their space with several fish, stingrays (Southern and cownose), a hawksbill sea turtle named Buddy, and even a couple brown pelicans. There are also four animal exhibits scattered around, but still considered part of the Shores complex. These include a nice Caribbean flamingo pool that the elegant birds share with nene geese, a shady American alligator exhibit with a land and water area that is average, a tiny Humboldt penguin habitat that looks a lot like Milwaukee’s and is probably the weakest point in the Zoo (though there is underwater viewing), and an open paddock for a pair of Aldabra tortoises.

Congo Expedition – Formerly called “African Forest,” the complex’s biggest draw is its gorilla facility. Since Colo’s birth, Columbus has become a major force in not only breeding the largest primate species, but also having a strong surrogate mother program. For example, orphaned baby Zahra from Milwaukee County Zoo is the latest arrival, and has recently been successfully introduced into one of the three gorilla troops. It was nice to see her again, thriving and interacting with her newfound troop members. The exhibits themselves are nothing spectacular, but they work well for the apes’ needs. There is an outdoor enclosure that is about average in size, and although it is essentially a large cage, it caters to the great apes’ needs with grass, a few tunnels set into little hills, and a plethora of climbing bars, ropes, and even ladder trails overhead. The interior is very similar to Louisville’s Gorilla Forest, with a central viewing area, and multiple gorilla rooms (each with artificial trees and ropes) surrounding the public. Beyond the gorillas (which I believe opened before the rest of the complex), several more animals can be found. The complex’s first exhibit is a mixed-species aviary for African grey parrot and Lady Ross’ turaco, followed by another aviary – this one accessed via boardwalk, in addition to an exterior ground viewing section. Some species I recall are crowned crane (with a few chicks that are almost as big as their parents), blue-bellied roller, and hottentot teal. Colobus monkeys and leopards both have mid-sized mesh exhibits that offer decent height and variety (along with an interior room for the cats). The best feature of the leopard habitat is the vantage point across the pathway later on – if lucky, an okapi may also be visible while viewing the leopards (see my “Highlight of the Day” section for a special moment focusing on this :D)! By the way, what exactly is the set-up with the leopards in terms of species? Anyway, near the gorillas are their smaller relatives – the bonobos. I remember the massive habitat used to be a heavily forested space with loads of climbing opportunities, and was absolutely magnificent. Sadly, the foliage has been cut back quite a bit, but the climbing space is still impressive, some vegetation remains, and there are good viewing areas around, and it is still the best bonobo habitat I’ve seen (though the playground-like indoor space is pretty underwhelming). Red river hogs are found nestled in a little dirt yard with the bonobos situated right behind, which is pretty cool, while four mandrills (formerly drill – I think I briefly saw the head of one in 2008) can be found in an exhibit that is average in quality, but is fairly spacious and offers expansive windows for up-close viewing (along with an interior room next to the leopards). A trio of shady hoofstock paddocks is the last component featured, and perhaps the highlight of the complex for me. One is dedicated to okapi, another is only for black duiker (didn’t see), and another decent-sized habitat has the two ungulates mixed in together. All offer fairly close viewing (I had a male okapi come quite close to the fence at both exhibits), ample amounts of vegetation, and a shade structure. One final note – I really liked the immersive details in this complex. The education components are excellent, with a research hut focusing on research and conservation in the Congo, along with extensive gorilla family trees and a Colo dedication kiosk; the pathways consist of either a boardwalk that is raised above the ground in a canopy-like manner, or a tight trail much like those found winding through the forests; and the entire complex is shaded in trees, making for a great jungle experience.

Voyage to Australia and the Islands – Two different regions are represented, with the first being Australia (unveiled in 2003-2004). Up first is a walkthrough habitat with red and gray kangaroos, along with a shaded perching area with sulphur crested cockatoos, that is decent. A short walk away is the Zoo’s koala complex, with a spacious outdoor habitat that is the best I’ve seen for the lazy marsupials, while the indoor exhibit offers height, a couple small trees, and a sandy substrate. Apparently bettongs are housed in here too, but I didn’t see any. Nearby is my favorite part of the Aussie area: the “Roadhouse,” a nocturnal house that I somehow missed ten years ago but was thrilled to see this time around. Visitors first come across what appears to be an Aussie-themed shop that is superbly designed, with such elements as a store counter and food display. Terrariums for green tree python, giant prickly walking stick, and jungle nymph are seen before walking down a corridor towards the main gallery. Most of the exhibits are relatively similar; they range from roomy to so-so in size, some have natural substrate, and the arboreal creatures have access to branches to clamber around on. The exceptions to this rule are a trio of small terrariums that are set within hollow tree trunks. The exhibit list is: tawny frogmouth/kiwi (a first for me, and I was delighted to see it out and exploring for part of the time :)), wombat, binturong, Matschie’s tree kangaroo (in an open-air enclosure as opposed to the glass-fronted exhibits), Indian crested porcupine/slow loris (didn’t see), brush-tailed bettong (another first), feathertail glider (another first), and I believe three gecko species. Leaving the dark caverns behind, the walkway opens up into a bright, rainforest environment that is quite nice and lush. This is a free flight room with several birds including kookaburra (in their own glass-fronted aviary), Victoria crowned pigeon, golden pheasant, magpie goose, Bali mynah, and many more.

The second area features Southeast Asian wildlife (opened in 2003). The immersive details are incredible, with temple walls and a bridge that one must cross to begin the adventure – it strongly reminded me of Disney’s Maharajah Jungle Trek. To start off, siamangs and white-handed gibbons rotate between a small, minimally detailed cage and an island that is a bit small but fairly lush. A trio of orangutans are located across the path in a narrow grassy enclosure that has good climbing opportunities, but lacking in naturalism. Carrying on are this section’s two best enclosures. First, an active family of Asian small-clawed otters has a good-sized habitat consisting of grass, a rocky elevated area, and a flowing stream that spills into a refreshing pool. Second, there is a waterfowl pond that is in a spacious and peaceful setting, and home to Dalmatian pelicans (believe this is another first), black swans, and one other bird species. The journey finishes off with a Komodo dragon facility, with a grassy outdoor enclosure with a rocky ramp to the off-display area, and a sandy indoor room with an Indonesian hut. If I did have to pick one section of the Zoo to improve, it would probably be this one. By no means bad, it just isn’t as strong compared to the rest of the Zoo’s exhibit complexes.

Other Exhibits – A few exhibits stand on their own and not a part of any specific complex. There is a boardwalk that leaves the path at the conclusion of Asia Quest, taking one towards a pair of older big cat enclosures. Previously the area was dedicated to African lions; during my visit one of these exhibits still housed a pair of younger male lions, while the second held two Amur tigers. Both are viewed through wire either along the boardwalk or from a central viewing area, and are nothing great and a bit small, but adequate with an average amount of naturalism. Adjacent to the “Vanishing Giants” building, but not technically part of Asia Quest, is a string of three pachyderm exhibits – one small dirt paddock was empty, and the largest one (along with I believe a smaller middle one) is home to a black rhino. These enclosures are disappointing as they are mostly just dusty paddocks with not much else to them, and the space is on the small side. This is a pity, as I believe these exhibits were just recently renovated. Lastly, there is a Southern ground hornbill cage next to “Lakeside Pavilion” near the entrance.

NOTE – As I had seen them before and wanted to make sure I got to the new sections, I skipped the lorikeet aviary in Voyage to Australia and the Islands, and the “Habitat Hollow and Barn” sections in North America. Also, due to time restraints, I unfortunately missed the Reptile House, making it the one and only animal section in Columbus I still haven’t seen. Lastly, even though it is not technically in the Zoo area, there is “Stingray Bay” that is found in Zoombezi Bay, which I did not visit.

Visitor Experiences

At about 580 acres, the Zoo grounds are certainly large, though that likely includes the colossal parking lot and the three major attractions nearby. The layout is pretty good, with the front half mostly revolving around the Zoo’s gorgeous centerpiece, “Conservation Lake,” while the second half is seen after going through a tunnel under a public road (reminiscent of Brookfield Zoo), and is for the most part a one-way path that cumulates at the Islands loop. The Zoo does not have any major hills to climb with only a few minor inclines and descents in some complexes. The entry plaza known as “Entry Village” is great, as it is a wide-open and scenic space that features all the necessary amenities, a cool globe fountain, an education building, and the “Lakeside Pavilion,” which seems to double as a special events facility and possibly a presentation section as I saw a small amphitheater attached.

Columbus has probably more to offer apart from animals than any other zoo I’ve visited. Almost every single major exhibit complex has an eatery either within or close by, one of which I mentioned, a few have dedicated gift shops (like the ones in Manatee Coast and Polar Frontier), and most include play areas that range from the little ice-themed section I saw in Polar Frontier, to a splash park featuring sea creature statues in the Shores complex, to a large one entirely themed around bugs near Congo Expedition. Additionally, there are tons of paid attractions and rides that can be found all around the facility. North America has pony rides and a small train loop (which I rode) that offers additional views of some animals and cool western style buildings; Heart of Africa gives guests the opportunity to ride on camels; Shores has a 4-D theater that presents three different shows (I saw a shark show that was pretty cool); and the Islands consists of a boat ride that glides along a river past the tropical species and the Zoo’s summer special exhibit “Dinosaur Island,” which I saw parts of as I made my way through the complex. Beyond all of this, the Safari Golf Club is across the street from the Zoo, while Zoombezi Bay (a large waterpark) and Jungle Jack’s Landing (a small theme park) are just down the path after the “Entry Village.” This makes the entire property almost like a miniature Walt Disney World, except the Zoo is the dominant attraction.

HIGHLIGHT OF THE DAY: The small feature that was mentioned in the leopard habitat played a part in today’s greatest moment. While watching the spotted cat lounging on a log, that was when I noticed the okapi in the background. Shortly after this, the leopard got up, and started traversing its climbing frame. In time, the feline went into a stalking mode, creeping across the structure and down a log, pausing occasionally and briefly. No sooner had the leopard’s paws touched the ground, it began moving back and forth along part of the exhibit’s fence line. It very well could’ve been a smaller animal on the other side of the fence that I never saw, or it may indeed have been stalking the forest giraffe, but it was nevertheless an extraordinary experience to see a leopard at one of its most intense states.

OVERALL: I had a wonderful time revisiting the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium. Most of the Zoo that I recall seeing ten years ago still works great, and the new additions are just as strong. To go along with an excellent collection of species (including a number of notable rarities), Asia Quest and Polar Frontier are perhaps among my all-time favorite exhibit complexes, and the rest of the areas range from great (such as Manatee Coast and Congo Expedition) to average (The Islands), with very few missteps. Guests can also enjoy so much more beyond the wild animals, with its multiple play parks, rides, shows, and a very pretty layout that is easy to navigate. Columbus has cemented itself amongst the elite in the zoological community, striking a pitch-perfect balance that caters to all ages and interests, while continuing to maintain the focus on animal conservation and education. A lot of time has gone into the details through the years, and it shines through. This is an incredible zoo that cannot be missed. :D

Presently, the Zoo is constructing a new pinniped habitat in the Entry Village. This enclosure, called “Adventure Cove,” will house many California sea lions and seals, among other small exhibits, and will open next year. I also recall a news article stating that the Zoo is considering a new orangutan exhibit.

JVM, twilighter, birdsandbats and 6 others like this.