Join our zoo community

M. Man's San Diego Trip

Discussion in 'United States' started by Milwaukee Man, 4 Jun 2012.

1. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I will be visiting San Diego in a week and plan on visiting both the San Diego Zoo and the Safari Park. For the Safari Park, I'm debating between two of the special safaris: the Jungle Journey (which allows close-ups with the tigers and bonobos, and the opportunity to feed an okapi) and the Africa Tram Safari (so that I have a better chance of seeing animals like the white rhinos and Cape buffalo instead of just viewing the exhibit from one small viewing area). Which of the two should I do? And is there a site where I can get some good coupons and discounts for the zoo and safari park?

2. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The San Diego Zoo has a AAA discount: San Diego Zoo: AAA Special Offers

Not sure of other discounts; hopefully others may have some advice.

I hope that you have a great trip.

3. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

As far as I know, the Africa Tram Safari is included in the entrance fee now (or does it changed again?), so do both if you have the time.

For the discount: Check their homepage, they have 2-park-packages with savings most of the time. Also, coupon booklets of area hotels, McDonalds, Dennys, tourist offices and of car rental companies do also offer Zoo and/or Safari Park discounts occasionally (or at least did it in the past).

4. jusko88

jusko88 Well-Known Member

My gf and I are heading to san Diego zoo in a couple of hours and we got a good discount at are hotel.

5. betsy

betsy Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

The Africa Tram Safari is included in the $42.00 admission price. I am not familiar with the "Jungle Journey", but as of June 1st all the the Park's bonobos have been transferred to the zoo.

6. Milwaukee Man

Thanks everybody for all the advice and the links to all the coupons. I have decided to do both the Jungle Journey and African Tram. Also, according to the Safari Park's website, it seems like the tour will also take you around the Asian Savanna exhibit, along with a close encounter with the tigers and feeding okapis. (Is Asian Savannah temporarily closed off to visitors? If so, this will be quite a bonus! Wonder if this replaced the close encounters with the bonobos since they all left for the zoo.)

I also have a few questions about the San Diego Zoo:

1. How high are the chances of seeing the jaguar cubs?

2. I heard (from jusko88's post) that the kiwi trail was closed. Was that just temporarily for that day or will it be closed until a certain date? (I've been to Columbus and DC, but missed the chance of seeing a kiwi, and I have my fingers crossed to see one when I visit SD)

3. Where is the maned wolf exhibit? Are they easy to spot in their exhibit? Why I'm asking these questions is because when it comes to maned wolves, I have bad luck, and I really want to see one this time! :rolleyes: (I've been to DC, Phoenix, and Buffalo, and each time, I either didn't have time to get to their exhibit or I couldn't find them anywhere)

4. Where are the koalas located while their exhibit is being redone for the new Australian exhibit?

5. How many sun bears does the zoo have and are they pretty easy to spot in their exhibit?

6. When is the best time in the day to see the giant pandas? How long are they out on exhibit for?

7. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I'll take number 2.

Kiwi Trail is closed until Outback opens. The kiwi house will not be reopening in it's current location.

8. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

When I visited in March there weren't any koalas on display. It would make sense for them to set up a temporary exhibit and maybe they have since then.

Re: pandas, we usually go visit them when we first get there in the morning and they are frequently active then. They are usually out on exhibit all day.

Re: sun bears, did not see any in March despite spending several minutes looking for them. If they are out on exhibit it should be pretty easy to see them as the exhibit is mainly concrete and isn't lushly planted.

There is an information booth at the front of the zoo. You might want to ask them about the jaguar cubs, koalas, and maned wolves when you get there. Are you planning to go the LA Zoo too while you are out here? There are koalas that are definitely out on exhibit there and maned wolves too.

Also don't forget about the 1:30 PM pangolin talk in the children's zoo (you might want to check to make sure that time is still right - it was in March, but could have changed). This is the only way to see the pangolin.

9. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Koalas are on temporary display by the Skyfari West Terminal.

10. mweb08

mweb08 Well-Known Member

Yes, the Asian Savannah is off-limits unless you do some tour.

The Maned Wolves are in between the Polar Bear Plunge and Elephant Odyssey, next to the 4D theater. I saw one easily. The koalas are nearby on the other side of the street.

11. betsy

There is not a scheduled time when the jaguar cubs are on exhibit. They are allowing mom to bring them out to the indoor cave area.
    The maned wolves are usually on the right side up against the wall. The keepers occasionally do training with them around 12:30 to 1:15. Nothing scheduled so no guarantee. Be aware if you do wait to see if the keepers are doing training you will miss the pangolin talk as the exhibits are on opposite sides of the zoo.
    We have 2 sun bears but the male is not comfortable on exhibit and as often as I go I rarely see the female.
    Remember the zoo is very large with lots of hills. Have you considered taking 2 days to explore the zoo?

12. Milwaukee Man

I appreciate all of your answers!:)

That is too bad about the kiwi house; I was looking forward to seeing this unique bird.

Unfortunately, I won't have time to visit another day at the S.D. Zoo or go to the L.A. Zoo.

The pangolin talk sounds pretty cool. I'll take it into consideration!

Just one more question: does the zoo still have giant anteaters?

13. mweb08

mweb08 Well-Known Member

Yes, they're in the same spot they've been for years in the Urban Jungle.

14. Cha Cha

Cha Cha New Member

The giant anteater(s) are gone. In the space in Urban Jungle where they were has been a very people-friendly red river hog. Also in Urban Jungle is a baby giraffe female born Wednesday, June 6. Very little & cute!

They had the jaguar cubs in the glass-fronted den with a keeper for the member early-hour yesterday, and they were "encouraging" quick rotation of the crowd so that everyone would have a chance to see and get a picture. I saw one of them again later being bathed by mom in the bedroom in back visible through the door from the den, then still later saw them again with two keepers in the den. They were wrestling with towels. Good luck!

There are three koalas on exhibit next to the upper SkyFari (aerial tram).

Across from them I watched the two maned wolf females being target trained yesterday. I'm not sure of the time. If about 1pm, you could take the SkyFari to the front of the zoo and go to the Children's Zoo pangolin presentation at 1:30. I highly recommend the pangolin as a unique opportunity, and there is seldom much of a crowd. The SkyFari from this direction usually has little or no line early in the day, but backs up later on.

As to the kiwi, I never had good luck in person seeing it in the nocturnal house, but would occasionally be able to view it on a monitor they had set up, mostly a fuzzy infrared camera image.

The sun bear in my experience has been curled up asleep on her tree limb. She was there yesterday in the late afternoon.

I also recommend seeing the pandas early to avoid waiting in line.

15. Milwaukee Man

Finally, almost a week after visiting the zoo, and a few days after visiting the Safari Park, I am able to get the reviews going! I'll start out with the zoo.

Review of the San Diego Zoo
    Welcome to the San Diego Zoo

The San Diego Zoo is located in a beautiful, but very hilly, part of Balboa Park. The spectacular surroundings, dramatic views, and weather make this place paradise. It's often called the "World Famous San Diego Zoo" due to the magnificent animal collection and mostly great animal habitats. And I couldn't agree more that. Of course, the zoo does have its flaws, but fortunately, the positives outweigh the negatives, and the zoo is planning on changing some of the areas in need. Enjoy the review!

Urban Jungle - A small, poor area that is a mix of animal species. Visitors travel along a walkway that has many animal exhibits on the outside, and a larger enclosure in the center. The center enclosure is home to Indian rhinos. It is very sandy, has a couple pools, some barricaded trees, and a few hanging baskets to encourage browsing. While only average at best, this is Urban Jungle's best exhibit in my opinion. The outer exhibits are (as described clockwise): a barren pen for Masai giraffes (including an adorable female calf) and Sommering's gazelle; a tiny and terrible pen for Grant's zebra and donkey; a red kangaroo pen that is identical to the zebra and donkey's; a grassy flamingo exhibit with not enough water; a red river hog exhibit; two cages for serval; a nicely planted cage for kookaburra; and an exhibit for animal ambassadors. The ambassador exhibit contains cheetahs, Arctic wolves, and dogs. On my visit, there was one cheetah and one dog on exhibit, and the wolves were being walked around the zoo. Urban Jungle also used to be the home of Kiwi trail, but now it is closed off due to construction of the new Australian Outback.

Elephant Odyssey - This constantly debated exhibit opened in 2009. I saw this area twice on my visit, both of which were from a tour bus. I'll describe it starting with the big cat area. When you enter, there are two exhibits for jaguar (saw no cubs - dang it!) and African lion. Both are the same, slightly too-small size. However, the jaguar enclosure wins because it has more vegetation compared to the more barren lion enclosure. Next, is a mixed-species area for guanacos, capybaras, and Baird's tapirs (didn't see). The only feature in the otherwise barren pen is a nice pool for the tapirs and capybaras to swim in. Behind this exhibit, and stretching across most of Elephant Odyssey are the namesake elephants (One Asian bull, a few Asian cows, and two African cows). While the pool is nice, and the exhibit is large, it is very dusty and barren with just a few fake trees. An overall average elephant habitat if you ask me. Across from the pachyderms is a decent aviary for secretary birds. Next to the elephants is a below average enclosure for Dromedary camels and a pronghorn. The last exhibit is what I believe is the best one in Elephant Odyssey: an aviary, with plants and high perches, for the majestic California condor. Overall, Elephant Odyssey is an average area with a unique theme to it; it focuses on animals that lived in prehistoric California. While some areas are nice (California condor, jaguar, secretary birds), some parts need some improvements. (sprucing up elephant habitat, camels, guanacos, etc.) (Note that because I saw Elephant Odyssey only via bus, I didn't see the reptile or invertebrate exhibits)

Africa Rocks - This is a mostly below average section. It starts out strong with a great meerkat exhibit (tied with the Safari Park for the very best I've seen) and a nice rocky habitat for klipspringers. Across the path is a habitat for a North Chinese leopard that, while lush and well planted, is pretty small. Next to the klipspringers is a good aviary for bateleur eagles. After that, Africa Rocks goes (literally) downhill. There are small and horrible grottoes for wallabies, New Guinea singing dogs, striped hyenas, and African wild dogs. At the bottom of the hill is an okay warthog exhibit and five not-too-great cages. These cages are considered the San Diego Zoo's very first exhibits, and still hold bat eared foxes, foosas, caracals, and kinkajous. Fortunately, I only saw one caracal in one of the cages.

Grottoes and Cages - The grottoes here are actually not too bad! Going down another hill, (geez, and I thought National Zoo's hill was terrible :rolleyes:) the first grotto is home to a pair of spectacled bears. While small, it is mostly covered in plants and has a waterfall. Next door, an elderly lioness has a part grass, part rocky area, followed by a decent Cape clawless otter pool, two so-so exhibits that a Manchurian brown bear and two grizzly bears rotate between, and an average sloth bear grotto. The cages next to the sloth bears, however, should be demolished. Francois' langurs, capuchin monkeys, lesser spot-nosed guenons, and deBrazza's guenons (I think I got the species right) all have the misfortune of living in these prisons.

Sun Bear Trail - This above average area starts out with two exhibits for Silvery lutung monkeys. One is outdoors and filled with grass and climbing opportunities, and the other appears to be an indoor area with more climbing opportunities. After the monkeys come the stars of the habitat: the namesake sun bears. Unfortunately, the exhibit they live is all concrete ground. At least the bears have some good climbing opportunities. An overall average habitat. There a couple of bird aviaries around the corner, but I don't recall the species unfortunately. The final habitat is home to lion-tailed macaques, who have a very good, well planted exhibit to live in.

Panda Trek - The is the zoo's newest complex, opening in August 2011. It is an overall hit-and-miss complex. The exhibit path is filled with bamboo on both sides, providing a cool immersion moment. The first exhibit is an average quality and sized one for takins. Across the path is a nice red panda habitat. The finale of Panda Trek, is the ever-popular giant panda facility. The breeding male was in one exhibit, and the almost three-year-old male was in the other. Compared to the National Zoo's enormous and spectacular panda habitats, however, San Diego has tiny and pretty poor habitats in my opinion. The floor seems to be concrete, and there is only one tree in each for entertainment. The only real positive to these panda habitats is that a silence rule is enforced. Pit vipers are also exhibited in Panda Trek too, but I didn't see any.

Lost Forest

Great Ape Habitats - Gorillas and bonobos have among the best exhibits I've seen for these species. The gorilla habitat, filled with waterfalls, palm trees, a rocky area, and large viewing windows, kind of reminded me of the gorilla habitats at Disney's Animal Kingdom. (Ironically, Disney has the best gorilla habitats I've seen, while San Diego is a close second.) The bonobo habitat is packed with grass, artificial termite mounds, and ropes for swinging and climbing. I think Columbus is the best I've seen for bonobos, but this bonobo habitat comes in a very close second place as well.

Scripps Aviary - One of two massive walkthrough aviaries at the zoo (the other is Owens, but wasn't able to get to it). It is absolutely unbelievable and naturalistic inside! There are so many bird species, that is hard to keep track of them. However, I managed to identify a duck species and what I believe was a northern bald ibis.

Monkey Trails & Forest Tales - This area of the Lost Forest is ridiculous! It is so maze-like and confusing to navigate, it's so easy to get lost and miss some exhibits. On the bright side, all the exhibits in this section are naturalistic and well done. Loads of monkey species, such as colobus, capuchin, black mangabeys, L'Hoest's guenons, mandrills (didn't see) and many more live in mesh enclosed enclosures packed with lush plants and climbing opportunities. There are also a couple of non-primate habitats too. A nice slender-snouted crocodile habitat with underwater viewing is near the gorillas, and a mixed species habitat with pygmy hippos, Wolf's guenon, and fish is right next door. Along a pathway before Tiger River are a few exhibits for yellow-backed duikers.

Orangutan Trail - The best orangutan habitat I've seen so far is here. Siamangs coexist with the red apes as well. The large viewing windows look into a habitat filled with grass, a stream, ropes, poles, and a dramatic background view. I saw two female orangutans and two siamangs. One of each species was interacting with the crowd, while the other animals were showing off their climbing skills.

Tiger River - This is one of the best exhibits I've seen at this zoo. It starts out with a mixed species habitat with underwater viewing, containing various Asian turtles and a crocodilian species. I'm not sure, but I thought they were young gharials. (somebody want to help me with this one...:confused:) Further down the path is a very good fishing cat habitat on one side of the path, and an aviary filled with storks on the other. Up next is a bad Malayan tapir exhibit. Both the amount of water and land space is too small for large animals like these. I did like how the walls resembled a riverbank though. Nearby, an large albino Burmese python has a decent exhibit. Lastly, is an above-average Malayan tiger habitat. It's built on a slope, and has palm trees, a river area in the lowest part of the habitat, and a few caves for privacy. The ground could use some grass though; it's mostly dirt. The two tigers on exhibit were chasing each other around the area the whole time I was there - what a blast!

Hippo Trail - With a combination of mostly naturalistic habitats and the fact that some of my favorite animals are located here, this was my favorite part of the San Diego Zoo. It starts out with a nice, shaded exhibit for okapi (my favorite:D), followed by a Nile hippo habitat that is as good as the one at Disney. Large underwater viewing windows look into crystal clear waters, providing great encounters with the hippos - they were right next to the glass! The fact that the okapis can be seen behind the hippos just adds to the immersion and awesomeness. Up next is an okay mixed species exhibit with red river hogs and a forest buffalo. Just up ahead, a bridge crosses over another great mixed species habitat filled with spot-necked otters, swamp monkeys, and spot-nosed guenons. A cool ending to a cool exhibit!

END OF LOST FOREST

Polar Bear Plunge - The best polar bear habitat I've seen so far is located here. Most of the exhibit is concrete, but there is a good amount of space, part of the exhibit is grassy with a couple pine trees, and there are logs and other items for enrichment for the three polar bears. The pool is also large with underwater viewing. Nearby, a herd of caribou live in a steep enclosure with a few pine trees. A couple of cages are also here, home to Arctic fox and raccoon (both of which I didn't see). Polar Bear Plunge finishes off with a walkthrough aviary focusing on the Arctic marshlands, filled with various duck species. This also the location of the zoo's 4-D theater.

Reptile House - The only animal building in the whole zoo. A whole other part of the reptile area used to be here, but only the reptile house was open on my visit. The habitats are overall decent, but because it was just about closing time and was the last area of the day, I had to rush through the exhibits and couldn't keep track of the species. I could only note Gila monster, alligator snapping turtle, dwarf crocodile, and a few venomous snake species. The best part was the Komodo dragon area. Both the outdoor and indoor habitats are pretty good for this cool reptile.

Other Exhibits - A nice flamingo pool is the first thing that visitors see when they enter the zoo. Near the Hippo Trail are a few other exhibits: babirusa/lowland anoa, warty pigs, and flamingos (except for the flamingos, these enclosures were average and barren). Across from Panda Trek are two exhibits: one for tufted deer, and the other is for musk deer (I think). Near Polar Bear Plunge are the following hoofstock enclosures: Grevy's zebra (not bad, but not spectacular); mixed species for lesser kudu and female gerenuk; bontebok; Addra gazelle; and male gerenuk (the last three are tiny and poor). Also located here is a decent, scrubland-like exhibit for maned wolf, the temporary home for the zoo's many koalas, and a wallaby exhibit. And finally, near Africa Rocks is a large lush aviary for rhinoceros hornbill.

Note - I wasn't able to see Big Cat Trail, but when the bus passed by it, I did manage to see a cougar in one of the cages.

HIGHLIGHT OF THE DAY - I saw many species for the first time in my life today. These include: cape clawless otter, Manchurian brown bear, maned wolf, California condor, lowland anoa, warty pigs, striped hyenas, secretary birds, and (possibly) gharials.

Overall: In terms of the legendary animal collection, the San Diego Zoo deserves to be called "world famous." However, I did expect a little bit more when it came to the exhibit quality. Nonetheless, I absolutely loved the San Diego Zoo and think it's one of the greatest out there. Plus, the new Australian Outback is opening next year, complete with new koala habitats, wombats, kiwis, and possibly Tasmanian devils, is sure to be a great complex. I plan on writing a review for the Safari Park in the next day or two. Stay tuned!

Last edited: 20 Jun 2012
  16. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Very nice review! Hope I can make it to San Diego one day...

17. betsy

Yes, those were 10 young gharials you saw. It took the zoo years to acquire them. The 2 tigers you saw were brothers born in April 2011. They have just recently gone on exhibit without their mom. I agree Lost Forest area can be very confusing. If you are standing there looking confused and lost and someone comes up to you and asks if you need help, chances are it is me!

18. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Great review! I particulary like your comment on how Monkey Trails & Forest Tales is ridiculous in terms of its mazelike pathways as I spend half the time looking at my map in that section of the zoo. No wonder its new name is Lost Forest!

19. mweb08

mweb08 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure the giant panda habitat has natural substrate. Also, the New Guinea Singing Dog exhibit is good imo.

It's too bad that you missed some things. Did you not see the aviaries for the raptors?

20. Milwaukee Man

Thanks for all the replies!

@mweb08: I actually did see one of the raptor aviaries from the main pathway. It was for Andean condor, and an outstanding habitat. Other than that, I wasn't able to see the rest of the raptor area. Oh well - I got plans to return to San Diego in the future. :D

I'll be putting a review up for the Safari Park (which I visited on 6/16) in a day or two by the way. Sorry for the wait :eek:

Last edited: 2 Jul 2012