Join our zoo community

Special Memories Zoo (Closed) M. Man's Special Memories Zoo Review

Discussion in 'United States' started by Milwaukee Man, 25 Aug 2019.

1. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Review of the Special Memories Zoo

Home

In the small town of Greenville, Wisconsin, sits the Special Memories Zoo. The facility started as out as a small farm for domestics and a few exotics in a town called Hortonville. Eventually, operations moved to its current location, with construction taking place for four years, cumulating in a 2000 grand opening.

Before it gained coverage on Zoochat, I think the only exposure I had of this Zoo was driving past the exit for it, and maybe reading about it as well. My visit felt quite similar to my 2016 trip to DeYoung Family Zoo, being that it was a non-AZA accredited facility, and more similar to a homemade institution. It was a nice visit, particularly with the numerous rare animals, but I also recognized where Special Memories can be significantly improved.

Animal Exhibit Complexes

Large Mammal Exhibits – For the most part, the Zoo’s largest residents are found in the central and back areas of the grounds. Near the front of the Zoo, there is a black leopard in a long metal cage with minimal detailing. Moving along, two tigers (an Amur and a white Bengal) share a quartet of corncrib cages that offer a couple platforms and shelters, while across the pathway, African lions have a cage that is larger, but only contains an elevated resting area and a water trough. Perhaps the least impressive, however, comes in the form of the two bear enclosures; Syrian brown bears (a first for me) and American black bears each have a very tiny cage, and other than a couple pieces of scenery (in the brown bears’ case a slide, and the black bears a platform and what seemed to be an empty pool) consist of pure concrete. The other megafauna are mainly hoofstock, starting with an aoudad pen complete with a mini-mountain made of boulders. While it is on the small side and of average quality, it is one of the better exhibits in the Zoo. Nearby, a mob of red kangaroos resides in a sandy exhibit that is fairly narrow, followed by a long exhibit for nilgai (including a calf), and basic side-by-side pens for a single Grant’s zebra and one dromedary camel. Lastly, the back area of the Zoo has two paddocks: first is a narrow blackbuck pen with a couple little pine trees; the other is for Jericho the reticulated giraffe, who has a long chain-link pen consisting entirely of dirt substrate and a couple enrichment items. On a side note, there is no barrier for visitors before the giraffe fencing – with how powerful a giraffe can kick, is that an accident waiting to happen?

Small Mammal Exhibits – The primate collection, especially for a facility such as this, is astonishing! :eek: Here is the list of exhibits that I saw: squirrel monkey, Sulawesi crested macaque/booted macaque (another first, and one of two U.S. zoos to have the species), spider monkey, rhesus macaque (another first), crab-eating macaque, Japanese macaque, patas monkey, common marmoset, Hamadryas baboon, ring-tailed lemur, red ruffed lemur, vervet monkey, and three species of capuchin (tufted, white-faced, and white-fronted). However, the quality of exhibitry mostly consists of skinny metal cages with little to no natural elements and a few perches. The only exceptions were corncrib cages for the baboons and two of the Zoo’s three Japanese macaques, and a larger grassy spider monkey cage. There are a number of other enclosures that can be seen around the property as well. Springhare reside in a cage near the entrance; Eurasian lynx are seen in an exhibit that is small and somewhat barren; there are two cages for Geoffrey’s cat (another first) that are pretty lush; binturong reside in a corncrib cage; a tiny dirt pit for prairie dogs can be seen via wire that covers the top; some maras share an average-sized dirt cage that oddly enough has a couple branches midway up the fencing; a two-toed sloth lives in a pretty roomy cage; there is a coati exhibit nestled amongst the many primate species; and the least successful of the bunch is a chain-link cage for river otters that is dark, concrete, and has two levels each with a pool.

Bird Exhibits – Other than those that are found in the Birdwalk section (to be reviewed later), there are some feathered animals scattered throughout the establishment. Near the aoudads, there is a trio of aviaries that are on the small side but quite lush, and house two species of cranes (African crowned and sandhill – including two chicks) and a stork species (Abdim’s?), along with a cage that held a small cockatoo species. On the far side of the Zoo, ostrich, emu, and greater rhea are located in side-by-side exhibits, which made for some interesting viewing, comparing and contrasting three of the world’s five ratites. Finally, several budgies can be seen in “Bird Encounter,” a building where visitors may purchase feed to give to the constantly chirping birds; the space is quite big, but with predominantly bare walls and cement, there is not much sense of an immersive experience in the world of exotic birds.

Domestics – Most of the Zoo’s domesticated creatures are grouped together by the primates. The center of attention is the “Goat Petting Area,” a contact yard where visitors can interact with many goats, and I believe I saw alpacas and chickens in here as well. Elsewhere, there are sandy pens for pot-bellied pigs (rescued animals), another pig breed that I don’t recall, a newly arrived ram, sheep, alpaca/donkey, and even a zebra foal.

Reptile and Small Animal House – This is a tiny building situated next to the Geoffrey’s cat pair of exhibits. The entire space is a large room with mostly generic terrariums and tanks, but there are a couple other exhibits that standout. Two examples are a decently detailed Australian green tree frog exhibit (the best of the bunch), and a coral reef tank that is small and could use a good cleaning. Something else worth mentioning is that a good chunk of the exhibits unfortunately do not have any signage. Some of the species on display include leopard gecko, bearded dragon, chameleon (species not signed, but it was a huge specimen), brown and green anoles, Australian green tree frog, green iguana, a few snake species that were unsigned, clownfish, yellow tang, and puffer fish. Outside is a small grassy pit that is split up for red-footed and Russian tortoises.

Birdwalk – In a part of the Zoo that almost seems isolated from the rest of the grounds thanks to the lush foliage, there is a trail that takes one past many bird species. For the most part, the enclosures are wood and wire cages with the occasional vegetation, perching, or other furnishings. The only exception to this is an enormous cage for chickens, demoiselle crane (another first), blue-eared pheasant, and sacred ibis, which is packed with woodchips, rocks, and some perches. It’s a decent space, though I think its fullest potential would’ve been reached as a free flight or walkthrough aviary. Some of the rest of the animals in this section consist of: African spurred tortoise (didn’t see, and in a large dusty pen), impeyan (another first), snow goose, blue and gold macaw, African crowned crane, giant wood rail, yellow-naped Amazon (which only understand the Spanish language), vulturine guineafowl, and various other types of pheasants, parrots, etc.

Deep Wisconsin Woods – This is the only exhibit complex in the Zoo that seems to have a geographical theme to it. Unlike the rest of the exhibits, visitors must climb aboard a little train to see the state’s wild animals (bring back memories, snowleopard?:p). The train slowly moves along the dirt trail, passing by some interesting set pieces such as a rustic shack and signs posted on trees. With each enclosure, the driver would hop out to provide some neat facts about the animals, whether it was a unique trait or about the particular specimen on display. Most of these are fairly basic cages, but a few of them do stick out from the rest. There are a couple large waterfowl ponds (in my opinion the best habitats in the entire Zoo) for mute swans, geese, and more. Another is a large, thickly wooded white-tailed deer habitat that is empty right now due to flooding. Last is a lush, medium-sized exhibit for a pair of gray wolves. Canadian lynx, skunk, pheasant, American badger, woodchuck, raccoon (an albino), fisher, squirrel, red fox, and bobcat are the other species that comprise this ride through nature. Of the exhibit areas at the Special Memories Zoo, I’d say this one is the best – despite only four of the enclosures being at least average quality, it is just so different compared to the rest of the grounds, and in a way somewhat immersive.

NOTE – According to the map, there is a koi pond located by the “Goat Petting Area” that honestly I completely forgot was there.

Visitor Experiences

The Zoo has a very long layout that seems to be on the edge of a marshland, with tall reeds that can be seen behind most of the property, along with a small stream that must crossed to reach the back area. Apart from the final three exhibit complexes, there is no cohesive animal section, with several species being sprinkled throughout the facility and some different pathways that seem to weave all around the enclosures.

There were a few things that Special Memories did surprise me with in terms of its amenities. The entry way is quite nice, with a pretty garden that greets visitors, and even a large gift shop in the entrance building where one pays admission; while there are no individual maps for visitors to take, a large map banner is posted by the entrance building; a couple additional attractions are present like a couple small playgrounds, a few pavilions for large gatherings, and a train museum (closed on my visit) at the train station for Deep Wisconsin Woods; and, with a few exceptions, the exhibits do have decent signage and unobstructed visitor barriers, making for relatively easy viewing.

HIGHLIGHT OF THE DAY: Seeing the incredibly rare Geoffrey’s cat was a real treat – this is a species that I believe can only be found at a couple other zoos in the country. At first the exhibits yielded no cats, though I could see one’s figure in its kennel shelter. The small feline then stuck its head out, before extending the front part of its body outside to survey its surroundings, and finally resettling back into the kennel. It took a bit, but the wait to get a good view was well worth it.

OVERALL: As previously mentioned, Special Memories was reminiscent of DeYoung in some ways. Though the animal collection is impressive for a privately owned establishment, and there are some decent amenities, it is inhibited by a fairly awkward layout, a need for a more refreshing presentation, and exhibit quality that could use substantial upgrading. Other than some major rarities, this is a memory that’s not as special as it could be.

I am unsure what future plans Special Memories Zoo has at this time.

2. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The stork is indeed Abdim's and the cockatoo is a Tanimbar Corella.

No more koi in the pond.

Milwaukee Man likes this.
  3. birdsandbats

When did you visit? I went a week or two ago and the train ride was not being offered due to the drivers quitting.

4. Milwaukee Man

@birdsandbats Interesting, I don't recall seeing that cockatoo species before - thanks. I visited a few weeks ago towards the end of July.

birdsandbats likes this.
  5. geomorph

geomorph Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Thank you for the review, there are several rarities there I would like to see. Did you see the badger?

Milwaukee Man likes this.
  6. Milwaukee Man

@geomorph Yes, the rarities were certainly a major highlight of my trip; seeing the Geoffrey's cat, booted macaque (a species found only here and Catoctin Zoo), and rhesus macaque (one of the most common primates used in research labs) were especially a treat. I did see the badger in its small dirt-filled enclosure.

7. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Were there any mosquitoes? That was the most special memory from snowy's review if I remember correctly.

8. birdsandbats

As long as the train ride is being offered, you are 100% guaranteed to see the badger.

You're thinking of Animal Gardens Petting Zoo. Mosquitoes aren't an issue at this zoo.

9. Milwaukee Man

At long last, photos from my visit are now in the gallery - enjoy!

10. Tim Brown

Tim Brown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think MM went rather easy on this zoo which has had numerous USDA citations against it.Whilst it is true that it is rammed with animals including rarities,many of the enclosures are totally unsuitable or small(and im not ruled by the God of Large Enclosures) and you would not get away with this kind of thing in the UK(altho perversely,i rather like the fact that you CAN get away with it in Wisconsin). I visited in 2015 and had quite a chat with the owner ,one Gene Wheeler...to say he didnt know much about animals/current zoo-thinking was an understatement.Apparently I was the first person to tell him that his two Sulawesi macaques were actually not a pair(which is what he thought he bought) but two different species(he did not know what the word taxon meant). And it just went on from there. He set up the zoo after receiving a large amount of money for his scrapyard/piece of land from Walmart....and,as rather an old boy,set up a zoo in the style and manner he knew In truth he wouldnt have far to go in the state to see others of the type.Another zoo owner was aghast when i told her that concrete flooring in a cage was not current zoo practice - "what?...then how do you keep the cages clean?" From my notes,and i dont remember it either,it seems that Deep Wisconsin Woods was not open at that time.They might have been advised(as i advised them) to concentrate on improvements rather than more animals. By the way.MM ,actually its GeoffrOy`s Cat not Geoffrey`s... taking its name from Etienne Geoffroy Saint- Hilaire, a French naturalist with lots of species named after him( altho one or two of them are named after his son Isidore). A minor point perhaps, but a fair one given the importance of the originator.

11. Tim Brown

Tim Brown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Should have looked at your pictures first MM,but there`s some special memories there alright.I see that Geoffroy`s has returned to its rightful appellation on the pics, but its always a pleasure to mention the great man anyway. As i remember it,many of the monkeys have no indoor accommodation and he moves them in winter...is this correct?