Join our zoo community

M. Man's Texas Trip

Discussion in 'United States' started by Milwaukee Man, 2 Jun 2018.

1. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

About a couple weeks ago, I took on the second largest state in the U.S. - Texas! I had an amazing time exploring some old historic sights and, of course, adding a couple animal attractions to my list. Here's the first of two reviews; I'm hoping to get the second one up as soon as I can.

Review of the Dallas World Aquarium

Dallas World Aquarium

Found in downtown Dallas, Texas, the Dallas World Aquarium’s site was originally an old warehouse for various companies like steel and rubber industries. The building was constructed in 1924, but after a massive overhaul, it reopened as the Aquarium in 1992. This was followed by the purchase of a next-door building, which became “The Orinoco” in 1997, and finally an expansion into a vacant lot that soon resulted in 2004’s “Mundo Maya.”

One of the many comments I’ve heard on here is that the facility is almost more of a rainforest complex than an actual aquarium, and after visiting, I can definitely see that. Regardless of if Dallas World Aquarium is perceived as an indoor rainforest or aquarium, this is an impressive and unique facility. It could certainly use some improvement in a number of places; however, the vast animal collection, mind-blowing number of enclosures that seem to be found in every nook and cranny, and just the general atmosphere and scope of the place outweighs these problems overall, making for an enjoyable visit for anyone.

Brace yourself – this might be the longest review I’ve done! * = Species I’ve seen for the first time.

Animal Exhibit Complexes

Orinoco Rainforest

Jungle Jewels – Visitors begin their adventure with this lush aviary that can be viewed through glass. There are twelve species exhibited here, some of which I didn’t see, including: manakins (golden-headed* and red-capped*, golden-collared), tanagers (swallow, paradise*), cotinga (spangled, Guianan red), wattled jacana, little tinamou, scaled pigeon*, Antillean euphonia, and blue-naped chlorophonia.

Jungle Junction – Giant anteaters (didn’t see) and a variety of birds (like toco toucan, boat-billed heron, helmeted curassow, yellow-crowned night heron, and more) share an enclosure that has short palm trees, mulch, tons of rocky crags and roots on the ground, and up-close viewing. While I feel it is too small and too busy for the anteaters, there is a large amount of height that I was surprised to see, along with a lot of perches for the birds, making for a nice aviary.

Monkey Island – This gorgeous rainforest setting consists of an island packed with foliage and vines that can be viewed from two levels – one from above into the treetops, and another closer to the forest floor. White-faced saki monkeys and red-handed tamarins (didn’t see) climb all around the lush greenery, while below them is a beautiful water moat featuring several fish (to be described later), birds (including black-bellied whistling duck, ringed teal, white-faced whistling duck, and rosy-billed pochard), Arrau turtle, and a gigantic Antillean manatee*. There are two other exhibits in this section: a cave-like enclosure housing pied tamarins*, and an extremely small, box-like enclosure for pygmy marmosets.

Toucan Encounter – A half-triangle shaped enclosure for rotating toucan species. According the guidebook, younger animals are given time to adjust to the sights and sounds of the jungle from within the exhibit. Then, they are released into the free flight zone, free to mingle amongst the other feathered residents of the Aquarium. On my visit, a trio of red-breasted toucans* was residing in the exhibit.

Sloth Forest – Perhaps the most well known rarity at the Dallas World Aquarium can be found here. Visitor pathways surround a pair of smaller trees with plenty of branches and zero barriers, and the center of attention is a three-toed sloth*, one of very few in the United States. Being up-close to such a rare treasure is super cool – visitors can even walk between the trees and under the branches. Despite the sloth being mostly curled up dozing in the tree, it was a treat to see this slow-moving superstar.:D

Howler Heights – Another “sacred gem” can be found above the sloth: a troop of red howler monkeys* (with a bird that I thought was a curassow) live in an extremely tall, netted habitat packed with climbing branches. The viewing could be better as one has to look up at an enclosure that is set up far above the visitor path (on top of a small eatery to be exact), but just having the opportunity to view the rare primates more than compensates for this.

Cotinga Corner – This tall aviary is the final area of the Orinoco’s “Canopy” section. The features consist of a rocky back wall, mulch flooring, a number of tall trees and other perching opportunities, a viewing window, and several fascinating species of birds such as capuchin bird*, cocks-of-the-rock (Guianan* and scarlet*), and umbrellabird*.

Lobo Del Rio – The first stop of the “Understory” section of the Orinoco. A single giant river otter* inhabits a space that is a bit on the small side, and with a land area that is mostly fake rock with a few logs and a patch of sand. However, the pool is large and varied in depth, the up-close views are pretty cool, and just seeing the active massive mustelid is a memorable experience.

The Cave – I was quite intrigued with the design of this mixed-species terrarium. It can be viewed on two levels, with Amazon tree boa seen in the higher branches, while at the bottom of the terrarium, with a small pool and some vegetation, poison dart frogs can be found.

Lizard Cove – Only two enclosures are located here. First, is a caiman lizard terrarium that is average in size and quality, followed by a mulch-filled pen for three tortoises (red-footed?).

Avian Trail – A single mesh exhibit that is nestled within a mock-rock cave. While it is a bit small, there are a good amount of branches and climbing opportunities for the golden lion tamarins, fiery-billed aracari, mountain toucan*, and wattled guan* that inhabited the space on my visit.

The River’s Edge – This is an excellent habitat that can be seen mainly from an underwater window, along with an elevated viewing area near the red howler monkeys. There is a very deep pool, tree trunks, vines, and vegetation close to the top of the well-designed habitat. Species include anaconda, discus, rainbow tetra (didn’t see), emperor tamarin, black-crested toucanet*, an aracari species, and some other fish that are unsigned.

Bats and Bugs – A small loop takes visitors through a well-designed cavern with a large vampire bat exhibit within, and a number of smaller terrariums for invertebrates and amphibians in the inner parts of the rockwork. These are fairly nicely designed with natural elements housing goliath bird-eating spider, curly hair tarantula, and ornate horned frog. Nearby, a dwarf caiman lives in an open-air tank that must be the tiniest crocodilian enclosure I’ve ever seen; the tank also has a very narrow fake rock crevice for land, and barely any room for the reptile to turn around.

Crocodile Cove – A decent-sized habitat for Orinoco crocodile, yellow-spotted Amazon turtle, and multiple fish species that can be first be seen from above by Cotinga Corner. The habitat looks superb when looking down upon it, but being right next to the first viewing window really adds to the immersion of being on the banks of a tropical river; this is probably the best of the major reptile exhibits and another highlight of the Aquarium. The enclosure is magnificent, with a rocky middle island, a large amount of water (with a stream-like flow in one area, and a deeper section in front of an open viewing area), lots of plants and logs, and a sand-filled cave. Above and off to the side of the viewing window is a snake terrarium (don’t recall the species) that is difficult to see into.

Flooded Forest – A shallow pool that can be seen above the surface is situated right next to the Orinoco croc – I think the two exhibits may even share the same water, except separated via other barriers. Anyway, while the tank is about average in size, it does feature a sandy bottom, a variety of rocks and branches, and even a few planted islands to further detail the enclosure. Species list: polka-dot stingray, silver arowana, yellow-spotted Amazon river turtle, and other small fish. Along the pathway, many species can be found in a number of terrariums such as electric eel and caecilian.

Toucan Terrace – The last enclosure to be seen in the “Orinoco Rainforest” is this narrow but tall space for two-toed sloths, bare-faced curassows, and one other bird species (don’t recall what though). It is set almost completely within a cave, with mesh being the visitor barrier. Nearby are a mesh enclosed rocky aviary for toucans, a cramped half-circle tank with polka-dot stingray, and a rocky terrarium for hawk-headed parrot*. There is also a prong-billed barbet exhibit in this area apparently, but honestly I don’t remember seeing it.

Aquarium

The River – This is the underwater window into the massive water moat that surrounds Monkey Island. The exhibit looks cool from above, but below the surface is an underwater environment that is fairly large and stunning with deep water and a rocky river bottom, teaming with huge fish that slowly cruise past the viewing area. I talked about most of the present species in my Monkey Island section, but here’s the list of fish: arapaima, golden dorado, catfish (red-tailed, fork-snouted, and shovel-nosed), and several smaller species. There are also a couple lush amphibian terrariums for Surinam toads and dendrobates frog.

Cape of Good Hope – One of the few exhibit areas of the Aquarium to be fully exposed to the great outdoors. Right after passing through the doors, Eastern yellow-billed hornbills, rock hyrax (didn’t see), and one other bird species (think it was great blue turaco) are seen in a cave-like exhibit. The centerpiece of the outdoor area is an African penguin pool that is on the small side and minimally detailed, but is designed so the aquatic birds can swim under a pedestrian bridge to get the other side of the exhibit, which to be fair is a clever idea.

Madagascar – Behind the waterfall that spills into the penguin pool is this seasonal outdoor area that can be found in a cave. These exhibits range from okay with smaller but fairly detailed herp terrariums, to underwhelming with a cramped tortoise tank and a fake-rock bird enclosure. The following animals are exhibited: blue-bellied roller, radiated tortoise, tomato frog, giant day gecko, and chameleons (panther, warty*, and Oustalet’s – don’t remember if I saw this species or not).

Other Tanks – There are several individual tanks that represent different areas and ecosystems across the globe. I’ll be honest, I went through these fairly quickly, so I didn’t note the majority of the species (most of these are according to the magazine guide and website), but I will say that they were overall nice exhibits, but nothing spectacular from what I saw. “Solomon Island” consists of giant clams, harlequin shrimp, and various fish like Magnificent foxface and Starki damselfish; “Southern Australia” is home to pot-bellied seahorse, tasseled anglerfish, and seadragons (both leafy and weedy); “Lord Howe Island” includes spectacled angelfish, Wideband anemonefish, McCullochi clownfish, comb wrasse, and painted goldie anthias; “Palau” (a darkened tank with flashlightfish* and others, and moon jellyfish in a separate tank) was my favorite of the tanks because of the unique presentation; “Fiji” is a colorful display of brain corals and fish such as clownfish (tomato and pink skunk), barred spinefoot, lyretail anthias, and spinefoot foxface; “New Guinea” was another highlight with the intriguing ribboned seadragon*, blue hippo tang, Percula clownfish, Mandarin dragonet, striped shrimpfish, and copperband butterflyfish; “British Columbia” has Pacific giant octopus, tiger rockfish, blackeye goby, starfish, sea cucumbers, anemones, and urchins; “Sri Lanka” consists of Eschmeyer’s scorpionfish, Moorish idol, Napoleon wrasse, and more; “Denizens of the Deep” is a somewhat dark and cool-looking environment with Japanese spider crab, longspine snipefish, and hulafish (bluelined and yellowhead); “Indonesia” has a number of intriguing fish species including Bangaii cardinalfish, black ocellaris clownfish, chocolate surgeonfish, and fathead anthias; “Japan” has wrought-iron butterflyfish, blotchy anthias, and powder-brown tang, and Japanese swallowtail angelfish swimming through the rocks, while spotted garden eels linger in the sand below; and “Continental Shelf” has a cool underwater tunnel with blue-spot stingray, clown triggerfish, unicorn tang, dragon wrasse, and more swimming all around.

Mundo Maya

River Delta – The third and final complex of the Aquarium starts in a dark, cave-like setting. It kicks off with some decent terrariums set into the rocky walls for Panamanian golden frog, bark scorpion, blue spiny lizard, marine toad, Mexican leaf frog, and alligator lizard. Further into the cave, cichlids (jaguar and Jack Dempsey) and red-eared slider turtles live in a round tank.

Fishes of the Cenote – There is a pair of exhibits that almost seem to be stacked on top of each other. The exhibit closest to visitors houses blind cavefish, while overlooking the fish towards the cave’s ceiling is a screech owl aviary that is long.

Los Petenes – The highlight of this section is a round, medium-sized desert habitat featuring burrowing owls, desert cottontails, and Montezuma quail. Going down the ramp, there is also a spotted moray eel tank and a long axolotl tank.

Cenote – I liked how the main area of the tank was mostly dark, making it hard to tell where exactly the boundaries were. The guide states that cenotes, which this tank is based off of, are actually deep sinkholes with pools at the bottom. It’s a very unique set-up and design in comparison to most other large shark tanks, which usually focus on the open ocean. Sharks (brown and blacknose), sawfish (I’m always fascinated by this species!), and stingrays (southern and eagle rays – neither of which I saw) are the inhabitants of this impressive section, which is viewed both via underwater tunnel, and from above just before entering the gift shop.

Marine Creatures – Lined seahorses, horseshoe crabs, and a wide variety of fish (such as royal gramma, bluehead wrasse, Clarion angelfish, and four-eyed butterflyfish) are the inhabitants of this group of saltwater tanks.

Serpent’s Den – This is a row of reptile enclosures featuring eyelash vipers, fer-de-lance, and spiny-tailed iguana. These are decent terrariums on the whole, with a variety in size and detail with the vegetation. The final set of exhibits is an interesting set-up - it appears to be one large enclosure with a few plantings, a couple logs, and rocky surface; however, the beaded lizards in front are separated from the neotropical rattlesnakes* via glass panel, a neat idea for enriching reptiles.

House of Zotz – To one’s left is a well-designed cave environment with leaf-nosed bats that gives the flying mammals some good height, followed by a red-eyed tree frog terrarium. On the other side of the pathway is a long, narrow cave aviary that is viewed mostly through wire for barred owl. As visitors emerge back into the jungle, there are a few more exhibits that can be seen below the railing: Morelet’s crocodile, Mexican giant musk turtle*, and red-tailed boa.

Caribbean Creatures – As the visitor path ascends, an underwater look into this tank comes into view. It is a circular exhibit that is a bit shallow, and looked to be average in size. According to the magazine guide, there are also queen and French angelfish and four-eyed butterfly fish (and maybe some more species) that live in this tank, but the only one I remember seeing are lookdown fish.

Birds of El Triunfo – A pair of harpy eagles* lives in an outstanding habitat that offers a good amount of space, vegetation, and perching. From what I could tell, it appeared that the exhibit was outdoors, with visitors viewing the majestic raptors from inside via windows. Nearby are many informative graphics with details about the eagles, and a screen showing cool clips of the birds in action.

Mayan Temple – This was the site of the infamous jaguar exhibit. Originally, the world’s third largest big cat was exhibited in (from what I saw in photos) a barren, tiny, square, glass tank with a small rocky pool, though there was also an outdoor segment that allowed the cats to get away from the crowds. Today, the jaguars appear to be gone, and now ocelots are in their place full-time (they rotated with the jags). Additionally, tons of natural elements like mulch, logs, and vegetation were added to make a much more appealing-looking habitat. The exhibit size (considering both inside and out) also seemed to be appropriate for the cats. I never saw any ocelots on my visit, and although this was my first time visiting the Aquarium (only seeing its previous form in photos), I was glad to see a much-improved exhibit.:)

Selva Maya – Two exhibits can be seen here. First, next to the ocelots, is a very poor, tiny Caribbean flamingo pool that overlooks the previously mentioned shark tank. Second, going up a flight of stairs, one will come across a viewing window into a solid habitat with dirt floors and lush plants for agoutis and ocellated turkeys*. On a side note, there’s a rocky path that is blocked by a glass door to prevent visitors from going in – did this used to be a walkthrough exhibit of some kind?

Jabiru Stork – The final habitat in the entire facility is a mid-sized habitat that contained a single Jabiru stork. The signage also indicated that scarlet macaws could be found here too, but I didn’t see any.

Other Exhibits

There are several animal exhibits that can be seen before entering the Aquarium and a few near the main lobby before ascending the stairs to the main exhibit path. I remember seeing the following: a red-tailed black cockatoo*/green-naped pheasant pigeon exhibit; a lush mixed-species habitat with multiple bird species (I couldn’t note many species due to the flowing crowd behind me, but I believe I saw Jambu fruit dove); a tall enclosure for lesser bird-of-paradise; Oriental pied-hornbills in a narrow exhibit; an Argus pheasant/Moluccan cockatoo aviary; a tank with fish like the Asian arowana; two small, cavern-like exhibits with branches – one for Matschie’s tree kangaroo, the other for Victoria crowned pigeon/palm cockatoo; two shoebill storks (along with another bird species I don’t remember) are in a small but lush, two-leveled habitat with up-close viewing; finally, a long narrow exhibit for little blue penguins. Also, above the outdoor habitats, I could see what appeared to be an off-display cage for what I believe were the red-backed bearded saki monkeys*. Can anyone confirm?

Visitor Experiences

The build-up to the Aquarium before arriving at the ticket booth is fantastic. In addition to the animal exhibits seen along the winding path, there are lush plants, streams, a Central American statue and fountain, and even tribal music playing in the background. Once inside, visitors travel on a one-way trail through the majestic tropical setting with many free-flying birds soaring overhead (the only ones I definitely noted were scarlet ibis and troupial). This combined with the green jungle plants, multiple water features, caves, and even temple-like rockwork and other details made for an amazing atmosphere. The exhibit viewpoints range from open-air throughout most of the rainforest, to glass windows for the many fish tanks and terrariums. The glass, especially on the terrariums, is sometimes an issue because of the glare seen – often there is bright natural light or tree reflections staring back at visitors. The signage for the most part consists of many touchscreen panels, which I feel are a good idea, especially if one wishes to find out more about a certain species aside from a simple I.D. sign. However, there are times when the panel is the only signage available for an enclosure, which is unfortunate if someone wants to quickly pick out the name of a certain animal they’re looking for in a mixed-species exhibit.

Numerous talks are given throughout the day for different animals. On my visit, I witnessed a shark feed and an African penguin feed/talk; I also overheard a giant otter feed and chat before arriving at the exhibit, and saw a native tribal dance that was really cool. There are three restaurants at the Aquarium – “Café Maya” is right next to the entrance to Jungle Jewels, “Jungle Café” can be found below the red howler monkeys, and “Eighteen-0-One” is by the Aquarium complex. Lastly, the main gift shop is found at the entry/exit lobby, along with a small bookstore next to the African penguin area.

HIGHLIGHT OF THE DAY: It was quite hard to choose the day’s best part, as there were so many exciting animals that I never saw before! Some of those were either up-close, or being very active. However, I’d probably have to go with the giant river otter viewing. To see one of the world’s largest otter species was a real treat, as it scrambled along the land area, and swam around in the pool, coming up to the window at a couple points. I was amazed by just how HUGE the animal was – almost reminded me of a seal!:eek:

OVERALL: I was absolutely overwhelmed by the Dallas World Aquarium. The amount of rarities and the number of animal enclosures (Crocodile Cove, The River’s Edge, Cenote, and Birds of El Triunfo being some of the best the place has to offer) has to be seen to be believed. Unfortunately, some of these exhibits (like penguins, some marmoset species, some bird exhibits, caiman, and flamingo) are not as strong as others of their kind, and the details in presentation like signage and viewing are sometimes lacking. Having said that, the positive elements of the Aquarium are very strong and hold up well, and the immersive rainforest environment is very effective. On the whole, I feel this is a solid animal attraction that is definitely worth visiting.

According to the Aquarium’s most recent newsletter, construction will begin on new exhibits and updates soon. Nothing has been confirmed yet about what these will entail.

2. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Wow...an informative review! Thanks very much for taking the time to post such a detailed write-up of a fantastic attraction. I visited Dallas World Aquarium in 2010 and 2015 and while I loved seeing so many rarities I did have huge issues with the size of several of the exhibits as well as the atrocious electronic signs. The facility is definitely a must-see for any serious zoo enthusiast.

Milwaukee Man and StoppableSan like this.
  3. DevinL

DevinL Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Milwaukee Man, have you read this article about the Dallas World Aquarium before? What are your thoughts about the uniqueness of the collection and the potential impacts to animal welfare and wild populations made to acquire that collection?

What Happened When One Man Built His Dream Zoo

birdsandbats likes this.
  4. d1am0ndback

d1am0ndback Well-Known Member

What makes you say atrocious? I think the signage choices made by the aquarium are some of the best options for the facility.

Last edited: 3 Jun 2018
  5. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It is important to note that most of the bad practices mentioned in this article had stopped even before it was written. Many quotes are taken out of context. Several of the rarities currently held (for example, the howler monkey) are either rescues or were captive bred in their range countries. It has been several years since they imported wild caught animals. The aquarium has made significant improvements in terms of animal welfare over the years.

snowleopard likes this.
  6. snowleopard

Dallas World Aquarium has some of the worst signage that I've ever seen and even though I sound like a cranky Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino (or pretty much any Eastwood film) I give you an excerpt from my 2015 road trip:

- The signage is appalling in places. Having 4 terrariums and only one touch screen for everyone to fight over is ridiculous for an established, notable aquarium. Assuming the screen works then a list of species eventually comes up…but which animal is in which terrarium? Insane concept that drives me bonkers every time and those that have been reading my road trip threads in the past are well aware of how I despise DWA’s signs. There are touch screens in all directions and as I’ve said many times before if the #1 attended aquarium in the nation with the #1 most species (Shedd has 3 million visitors and 1,500 species) can have minimal touch screens then DWA can do it as well.

StoppableSan likes this.
  7. snowleopard

I really have enjoyed my two visits (2010 and 2015) to the Dallas World Aquarium mainly because of the fantastic animal collection, but apart from the appalling signage the second flaw is the size of several of the exhibits. Here is another excerpt from my 2015 road trip:

- Small exhibits abound at Dallas World Aquarium. Jaguar, Little Penguin, Matschie’s Tree Kangaroo, Giant Anteater, Pygmy Marmoset, Giant River Otter and the list goes on. Some of those popular species have almost enough space but in every circumstance I struggle to name a zoo with smaller exhibits for those species. DWA has crammed in as many species as it can squeeze into the space available and things get tight at times.

- The Dwarf Caiman exhibit is only 5 feet wide; the Blue-Bellied Roller Bird glass tank is perhaps 6 feet wide; the Radiated Tortoise exhibit is perhaps 6 feet wide for 3 large tortoises!; the Pygmy Marmoset exhibit is perhaps 5 feet wide; the African and Little Penguin exhibits are far too small; the Barred Owl dark cave is perhaps 4 feet wide and a narrow enclosure; the list could go on.

8. d1am0ndback

I think you just had bad experiences, I've only occasionally had issues with them (one or two not working for a day rarely) for the many years I've been going to the aquarium.

Shedd's signage would not work for various reasons. One of the biggest reasons for this is because DWA puts more information out than Shedd does. Shedd's signage includes a picture of the species, a scientific name, and a "Did You Know?" fact. For example, on my visit to Shedd (I took a picture of the signage) the only information their electronic sign displayed for Columbian slider, a species I had never heard of, was the name, scientific name, and the fact "Turtles of this family are related to Blanding's turtles and box turtles." That really helped me learn about Columbian Sliders! The Dallas World Aquarium goes into high detail about each species, where they are from, and their conservation (In many cases each species has several pages of information). On top of that they go above and beyond in that they give detailed information about the region/environment the exhibit is based upon (Ex: Belize, Cenote, Papau New Guinea). Minimal signage that Shedd uses wouldn't work for DWA simply because DWA goes above and beyond in their signage, something Shedd doesn't.

In years since youv'e visited the signs have been updated to direct you where to look for each species, such as "above you" for cock of the rocks in the area above caiman lizards. If these instructions aren't enough to find the visitor that species, they have also included an image of the enclosure for you to know the species is held there.

Physical signs (you haven't suggested physical signs but others have so I will adress this too) for each species would take up way too much space to be viable in the facility (considering some exhibits have alone over 10 species in them). Not to mention species are rotated through the collection frequently, and it is MUCH easier to update the signage they have now than to go through hassle of constructing and replacing physical signage.

I simply don't see any better way they could go about their signage and preserve the atmosphere of the rainforest and give the information they want given out. Not to mention, Iv'e seen far worse signage before, such as slow rotating electronic signs at the Texas State Aquarium and remodeled Moody Gardens Aquarium. I think your opinion on the DWA signage is unfair to the facility because it truly is one of the best choices they could have made (And in my and others on this site who have been there's opinions far from bad signage). You simply cannot compare the Dallas World Aquarium's signage to that of other zoos and aquariums because the Dallas World Aquarium is nothing like other zoos and aquariums.

Last edited: 3 Jun 2018
    snowleopard and jayjds2 like this.
  9. snowleopard

@d1am0ndback Thanks for your analysis and my two visits obviously pale in comparison to a native Texan like you. I'm jealous, as Texas is a zoo-rich state and I'm quite fond of several of the zoological facilities found there. The Dallas-Fort Worth area has something like 14 'zoos' and I'm fairly certain I visited all of them either on my 2015 road trip or on an earlier trek through the area.

I'm anti-electronic signs and I find them immensely frustrating. The slow-moving signs that take minutes to go through all of the species in a particular tank are mind-numbing, especially for someone wanting an extensive list of the inhabitants of a certain facility. What annoyed me with DWA was that when I visited in 2015 there would be 4 terrariums and a single sign...and if I couldn't see any animals in a couple of the terrariums then how could I possibly know which species was in each exhibit? Plus with having a single sign, there would be a line-up of visitors all crowded around a very tiny area. It is a totally bonkers way to inform guests about the animals in a facility but if things have changed in the past 3 years then that is great news. Thanks for the update!

d1am0ndback likes this.
  10. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Shedd has recently made their electronic signs have more information.

11. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

As I have previously stated, much of these concerns have been alleviated and several were never a problem in the first place. I can see how some appear to be this way to you but in reality there is nothing to worry about.

To start with, the jaguar exhibit in the aquarium no longer exists. It has been renovated and now houses ocelot. This was perhaps DWA’s worst exhibit and I’m sure ZooChat has collective relief that it is gone. The little penguin, tree kangaroos, anteaters, and giant otters all have substantive off exhibit place and three of the four have excellent breeding records. Philadelphia is a zoo which gives some of their animals less space than DWA, in partícular their otters (until recently, though the rotational nature of the new exhibits somewhat nullifies the total effect of this) and the pygmy marmosets.

To address some of your other concerns: the dwarf caimans are rotating hatchlings. Frequent visitors will notice they never seem to get any larger. The mesh-fronted roller cave is larger than it appears, noticeable upon closer inspection. The African penguins have a very suitable exhibit and I’m not sure what made you think otherwise. The little penguins, as I mentioned before, have a lot of off show space. Birds simply need horizontal flying space; room in both directions is not needed and the success of many figure-eight shaped enclosures makes this evident.

From the outside, DWA appears to be an aquarium with many subpar exhibits, but the more you know about the facility, these worries are resolved.

The signs at DWA are a great asset because they work on three levels. A general sign gives photos of each species and their names for identification. Clicking on one gives general info about each species and then from there you can click on more detailed pages. As for your concern about seeing which species is in which terrarium, the signs for each species generally have photos which show the terrarium they are in.

d1am0ndback likes this.
  12. Milwaukee Man

Well I didn't see this coming! First off, a special thanks for everyone's comments and interest regarding DWA. :)

@snowleopard: Yes I recall your negative (and quite entertaining:p) opinions about electronic signage. I feel like these are a good idea in some cases; for example, they are more interactive, and they help with being able to get more information about a species on display - particularly a mixed-species habitat where it may be hard to pick a certain animal out. There are times though in my opinion when they aren't, such as if it is the only signage around and may thus become crowded, or (as you stated) if there is one or a couple for a certain number of exhibits in the area. In general, at the very least a basic animal I.D. sign works for me along with an electronic sign.

@DevinL: Very interesting read - thanks for sharing! I have the same opinions and statements that jayjds2 has.

@jayjds2: Some intriguing facts about some of the animal spaces. It's nice to know that some the species with either smaller or less-than-ideal exhibits on display do have more options behind-the-scenes. Thanks for sharing the info!

Update: I'm still chugging away on my second review for this trip thread. Until then, some photos of DWA are up in the gallery. Finally, I never stated the other place I went to - here's a hint: they're aiming for a "Wilder Vision."

13. Milwaukee Man

Here we go with Part 2 of the Texas Trip!

Review of the Forth Worth Zoo

Fort Worth Zoo | Adventure Awaits

Located in Fort Worth, Texas, the Fort Worth Zoo opened for business in 1909. For most of the 20th century, the city was responsible for the facility’s operations, while the Fort Worth Zoological Association was established in 1939 to raise more funds. But when hard times fell onto the Zoo, the FWZA took charge in 1991 to raise more money and improve the Zoo, starting with Asian Falls and World of Primates in 1992. Since then, Fort Worth has seen much larger attendance numbers, multiple new exhibit complexes have opened, and it has even been ranked as one of the nation’s best zoos in various travel guides. The Zoo presently holds around 435 species.

I was tremendously impressed with Fort Worth. Not only are a good chunk of the exhibit complexes well done, but it also has a strong attention to detail in both its presentation and associated visitor features. These aspects all compliment a superb collection of animals, resulting in a fantastic zoological destination.

Animal Exhibit Complexes

African Savanna – This is the newest complex in the Zoo, having just opened almost two months ago. I was beyond excited to see what looked like a fantastic set of exhibits, and I’m thrilled to say that this 10-acre complex packs a wallop! :D The safari begins in a superbly detailed African village. Realistic looking buildings, a little gift market, and flags and linens swaying in the wind above really set the tone for what was one of the most authentic African experiences I’ve ever seen. Beyond the village is the first animal habitat: a magnificent plains area for herds of reticulated giraffe, plains zebra, ostrich, pelican, guineafowl, kori bustard (a first for me), lesser kudu and springbok (both antelope in a separate paddock). Unlike most savannah exhibits I’ve seen in which there is mostly an open grassy enclosure, this one feels more like a large clearing by an Acacia forest. There are numerous trees sprinkled throughout, a scenic waterfall that spills into a waterhole, rolling hills that offer terrain variety, and even a cluster of logs.

Going in a counterclockwise direction, the next exhibit is a mesh aviary for Madagascar crested ibis (another first), great blue turaco, golden breasted starling, among others. The path winds through the foliage, passing a safari jeep before emerging in front of an average but pretty pool for greater and lesser flamingos. Behind the elegant pink birds the view opens up into the first three habitats for Southern black rhinoceros. It’s a decent size, with plenty of grass, a slope, and a central foliage area. Next-door, a small viewing area for the Nile hippo habitat is seen before sloping down below the water surface. This is easily the best part of the hippo section as not only is there a very deep pool, but the underwater viewing area is gorgeous. One side features a waterfall, colorful fish swim by the glass, there is nice education signage, and the mud bank barriers look great. I couldn’t tell the size of the land area, but while it seemed on the small side, what makes up for it is that I could see grass growing on the shore! Going past the river horses, the other two rhino exhibits are seen - both are grassy and about mid-sized. After viewing a small but nice meerkat exhibit, the path and viewing returns to the main savannah habitat.

World of Primates – One of two exhibit complexes to open in 1992. A series of terraced primate enclosures surrounded by water moats and thundering waterfalls are the homes of gorilla, Sumatran orangutan (didn’t see), mandrill (strangely only one), white-cheeked gibbon, and bonobo. The animals also have some plants and wooden structures for climbing around their canyon-like habitats, which are very similar to those found in Rio Grande and Memphis. These aren’t the most naturalistic I’ve seen, but they’re more than adequate for the species. At the end of the day, I ventured into the central building, which has the primates’ bedrooms. Except for a large open-air gorilla exhibit with a water moat (occupied by two birds during my visit), these consist of small, fake rock filled areas with wooden beams to clamber around on. There is also a colobus monkey exhibit that offers height, but is unfortunately all-indoors.

Museum of Living Art – One of the Fort Worth Zoo’s most well known aspects is its massive collection of herps, which is said to be one of the largest in the world. That unbelievable assortment of species was celebrated with the debut of this phenomenal building in 2010. More than 250 species of reptiles, amphibians, fish, invertebrates, and even a few birds and mammals make their home in an array of indoor and outdoor habitats. MOLA begins with the “Crocodile Café,” a restaurant that has excellent underwater viewing into an Indian gharial habitat (also with various fish and turtle species), and shore views of the saltwater crocodile habitat. Both are great, well-planted exhibits, with the gharial pool standing out in particular – with its deepness and mangrove-like appearance, it may be the best crocodilian habitat I’ve ever seen. Wrapping around the restaurant, an underwater view into the saltie enclosure is encountered, next a large, grassy Aldabra tortoise pen that is shaded, then another underwater look at the gharials, and lastly an outdoor crocodile monitor exhibit. Visitors enter the sleek, modern-looking structure through a pair of cobra door handles (nice touch!), coming across the indoor room for crocodile monitor (closed on my visit) and the third and final underwater window of the gharial pool. The hallway then opens into an enormous assortment of terrariums, which seem to feature mostly species from tropical regions such as Burmese python, king cobra, gaboon viper, giant leaf-tailed gecko, four-horned chameleon, and Chinese crocodile lizard (another first). These are housed in a variety of enclosures from smaller terrariums to larger glass-fronted habitats, all of which are packed with water, foliage, terrain variety, and all sorts of natural elements.

After a small gallery with invertebrates (some of which include Brazilian birdeater tarantula, giant cockroach, emperor and flat rock scorpions), the final habitats in this section are seen, with one riverside habitat on each side of the path: one represents South America (caiman lizard along with various turtles and fish), the other is for species such as dwarf crocodile – these are both fantastic and do a great job immersing one into the surrounding environment. Soon the hallway emerges into a lighted, circular room with vibrant interpretive signage in the middle. To one side, there is a long counter-like tank featuring rainbow trout and hellbender (I believe it used to house Chinese giant salamander), and a window into a research lab. Then, a set of doors leads to an outdoor courtyard, consisting of a fairly small ring-tailed lemur island that could use more climbing opportunities, a pair of planted waterfowl ponds, another view into the Aldabra tortoise pen, a golden headed lion tamarin cage, a streamside enclosure for scarlet ibis, and a macaw perch area in the middle of the path. After another small gallery with species like Mexican alligator lizard (another first), there is another pair of river habitats similar to those previously mentioned – this time with sailfin dragon, flying fox fish, and more. A hallway full of well-done terrariums is seen again with multiple species like Komodo dragon (large indoor room), frilled lizard, eastern indigo snake, and beaded lizard. The complex’s finale is a pair of outdoor reptile yards – a mid-sized habitat for the Komodos, and a nicely detailed Cayman Island blue iguana. On the whole, MOLA is quite easily the best herpetarium complex I’ve come across – exhibit quality that is almost 100% above average, an outstanding collection, and several colorful and informative graphics that go above and beyond. The attention to detail and presentation shows, and really pays off. :)

Texas Wild! – At the farthest end of the establishment is a very complete eight-acre section dedicated to the U.S.A.’s second largest state. Completed in 2001, the complex not only makes for an overall decent set of animal exhibits, but the cultural touch of detail is superb. It starts out in a replica of an old western town featuring several authentic buildings, eateries, shops, a tiny petting area, an indoor barn-themed playground, and even a shooting gallery. Many additional bits of scenery enhance the experience, such as a fake graveyard and a scenic stream. The wildlife viewing begins with “High Plains and Prairies,” in a rundown shack called the “Twister House.” Inside are three sandy habitats that are very good, and contain from left to right: roadrunner and quail, roadrunner and burrowing owl, and black-footed ferret (didn’t see). One of the neat elements of these exhibits is that one can see through the mesh behind at a grassy white-tailed deer and sandhill crane habitat that is not phenomenal, but pretty nice. The trail continues into the woods and across a rickety bridge over a creek (with several gator warning signs and duck decoys for props), beginning the “Pineywoods and Swamps” area. This consists of a covered viewing area for the following: a medium-sized wooded habitat for red wolves (didn’t see), a good-sized American alligator/snapping turtle pool, a North American river otter exhibit (didn’t see) that is nice but unspectacular with a cool viewing bubble, and a pair of American black bears have an enclosure that has neat theming to it (a rusty shack and water pipe with a window at its end that extends into the exhibit), but sadly is lacking in space and naturalism. Up next is “Texas Gulf Coast,” a shack featuring marine life, including a bubble tank for upside down jellyfish, fish such as lookdown fish in a cylinder tank, and a neat touch tank with starfish, shells, and horseshoe crabs. Just outside is a very impressive shoreline aviary with birds like pelicans (brown and white) and roseate spoonbill.

“Brush Country” is the next section, and despite containing the coolest species, it is in my opinion the weakest. Predatory mammals consist of a pair of cougars in a very cramped and minimally detailed exhibit, followed by a white-nosed coati exhibit that was decent and had good climbing opportunities, an all-indoor ringtail exhibit, a pair of indoor/outdoor ocelot enclosures (a plaque also stated bobcats, but I don’t recall seeing any indication of them still around), a coyote cage that looked nice but was starving for space, and lastly a narrow habitat for a jaguar. The enclosure for America’s largest feline was decently designed as it replicates more the Southwest desert/scrubland rather than the rainforest, and was bigger than I anticipated, but still a bit on the small side. Across the pathway are various bird exhibits; there is a tall nicely planted bald eagle aviary, a walkthrough aviary that is so-so, and a series of all-indoor rooms for birds of prey such as red-tailed hawk. The final section is “Mountains and Desert,” which is located in a very nicely designed mine shaft. As visitors navigate the dimly lit cavern, many terrariums for small mammals (such as kangaroo rat and long-nosed bat), reptiles (Texas horned lizard, rattlesnakes, and more), amphibians, and invertebrates (like black widow spider) are encountered. These exhibits are mostly decent and add to the immersion of seeing strange creatures in a cave setting, making this one of the highlights of the complex. In summary, Texas Wild! is held back by some less-than-ideal enclosures to be considered outstanding, but the animal areas that are good along with most of the top-notch immersion qualities make this a solid native-species complex.

Penguins – An indoor/outdoor pair of exhibits that debuted in 2008. African penguins live in the outdoor habitat (formerly gharials), while a colony of southern rockhopper penguins reside in the chilly indoors. If I had to pick the Zoo’s least successful area, it probably would be this one because of the lack of naturalistic detail, and the small size of the indoor exhibit.

Australia Outback – The first section is a small walkthrough area, in which the boardwalk slowly rises, essentially dividing the enclosure into two: a pair of red kangaroos had a grassy paddock with a single tree that was fairly small, while Australian brush turkey (didn’t see) inhabit the other side, which is narrow and very lush with vegetation. Visitors then enter a wooden shaded walkway that looks into a trio of Great Barrier Reef tanks. Black-tipped reef shark, emperor angelfish, wrasse, tangs (convict, powder blue, and clown), angelfish, garden eel, clownfish, butterflyfish, coral beauty, neon damselfish, epaulette shark (didn’t see), spotted wobbegong, purple firefish, mandarinfish, and twinspot goby are the underwater inhabitants to be seen. The final area has galahs and eclectus parrots in an open-air sandy enclosure with many branches. This Aussie zone is average at best, maybe a bit underwhelming, on the whole, as aside from the bird exhibits, not a lot stood out to me.

Raptor Canyon – Visitors walk along seven different habitats for birds of prey. These aviaries are pretty good as they are packed with vegetation, some perching areas, offer nice height, and some take advantage of the nearby hillside terrain. Another neat element is that two of them span both sides of the path, so visitors walkthrough a mesh tunnel while the birds swoop overhead to the other side of their territory. Species list is: palm nut vulture (another first), African white-backed vulture, harpy eagle, king vulture, Andean condor, milky eagle owl, and African crowned eagle (another first).

Parrot Paradise – Originally built by the WPA in 1937 as “Monkey Island,” this enclosure went through several different species, from rhesus monkeys and sea lions, to South American animals and alligators, before being converted to its current form in 2004. The concrete walls and central rocky outcrop remain, but a circular boardwalk for guests was installed, along with some trees. Tons of parakeets, cockatiels, and more fly all around the large space. I didn’t venture into the aviary due to time restraints, but from what I could tell it looked like a neat experience walking among numerous little birds within a historic enclosure.

Asian Falls – This is the other 1992 exhibit area that started the Zoo’s revival. It begins with a rocky exhibit for a striped hyena (formerly sun and sloth bears), while next-door is a pair of tiger habitats that is mostly viewed through bars from above. The first is an average Malayan tiger area that is half water and half grass, while across the lush dividing moat is a single white tiger that has a stunning stream and pond, along with a small viewing window, but the land area is lacking in size and mainly dirt. The path continues down the hill, passing a cage for lesser bird-of-paradise, followed by a pair of grassy white-naped crane exhibits, a lush anoa paddock, and finally the area for Indian rhino. The one armored pachyderm I saw resides in a pair of shaded paddocks; both are narrow but seem decent in size, and come with a refreshing pool and waterfall. Lastly, a herd of Asian elephants resides in a dusty narrow exhibit. The exhibit does wind around a bend and there is a good-sized pool, but it is unfortunately too small for the number of pachyderms it currently holds (at the moment, different groups of elephants rotate into the enclosure – for instance, at one point I saw one big bull, and later a single cow and younger bull).

Other Exhibits – Near the entrance is a pair of lush flamingo ponds - Caribbeans are on one side of the path, while Chileans are on the other. On the stretch between MOLA, Texas Wild!, and Asian Falls, there are numerous bird exhibits. These range from large green habitats, to cages that are on the small side, but still nicely furnished. Exhibit list: hyacinth macaw, red-crowned crane, saddle-billed stork/helmeted guineafowl, scarlet and military macaws, and African pygmy goose/turaco/unsigned species that I’m not sure of. Before reaching Asian Falls, there is a steep cliffside habitat for Nubian ibex (didn’t see) that is superb, followed by a pair of old and tired African lion grottos. Finally, a pair of hoofstock paddocks is located across from World of Primates and MOLA; these are excellent habitats as they are grassy, shady, and offer a lot of space. A single mountain bongo and one male lesser kudu (along with Southern ground hornbill) reside here.

NOTE – Because of the route I took, I bypassed a number of bird enclosures. I know two of them were for flamingos and other waterfowl, and there were a few cages I could see below the path from Raptor Canyon, but I couldn’t make out the species.

Visitor Experiences

Fort Worth is easily one of the most beautiful zoos that I have ever visited. The entrance area has a very tasteful African theme to it, with a mid-sized gift shop and a wood bridge over a natural creek. Every exhibit area has well-crafted rockwork, pretty plantings, and mostly solid viewing areas. This creates a wonderful atmosphere for whichever location the complex is trying to convey. The layout is very linear with the entry and parking lot at one end, leading to some backtracking; however, because there are other exhibits to check out in between (most of them one level up from the main path), I feel this can be overlooked for the most part.

Several amenities, ranging from gift shops and stands, to restaurants and snack carts, can be found in almost every exhibit complex. In terms of non-animal attractions, a good chunk of them can be found in Texas Wild!. The only other two guest attractions are a train that runs from MOLA to Texas Wild!, and a climbing wall near Australia Outback called “Tasmanian Tower.”

HIGHLIGHT OF THE DAY: My visit to Fort Worth was highlighted by the very first time I heard a jaguar vocalize! The big cat was pacing in a small area by the fence before it proceeded to lie down in some bushes. Almost right after, the jag emitted a series of quick but powerful roars. The roar was an interesting sound, as it sounded like a tiger’s except much more brief, somewhat deeper, and more, for lack of a better word, “rough.” It almost reminded me of a motorcycle getting revved up.

OVERALL: Fort Worth is a great zoological facility. African Savanna and MOLA are the two most recent and best exhibit complexes, while the rest of the Zoo mostly ranges from average (like World of Primates) to solid (such as Texas Wild!), with very few weak points. Beyond that, the grounds are gorgeous, visitors have multiple amenities and attractions to enjoy, and the animal collection is excellent. It’s a Zoo with many strong elements, and will only get better as some of its weaker aspects are slowly but surely addressed. I would highly recommend Fort Worth for anyone, from reptile fans to casual zoo-goers.

According to the Zoo’s map, a contact yard called the “Petting Ranch” will open in Texas Wild! next year. Additionally, the Zoo is undergoing an improvement campaign called “A Wilder Vision.” The African Savanna complex was the first of four projects to be completed; 2020 will see the opening of “Elephant Springs” (Asian elephants and Indian rhino, under construction now); followed by “Hunters of Africa & Asian Predators” in 2022 (lion, cheetah, leopard, African wild dog, Malayan tiger, clouded leopard, and striped hyena); and finally “Forests & Jungles” debuts in 2025 (bongo, okapi, Sumatran orangutan, and an Amazon area).

14. d1am0ndback

Are you sure these had an exhibit? The zoo hasn't had any black footed ferrets for years now but still has a sign regarding conservation of them in the twister house. As of my last visit a few months ago (and since the black footed ferret has been gone) there has been a pair of swift foxes in the far right exhibit of twister house, next to where the black footed ferrets were (and where their conservation sign currently is).

I'm glad you enjoyed your visit to the Fort Worth Zoo, one of my favorite aspects of the zoo is the relaxing atmosphere given off throughout the entirety of the zoo by the vegetation (being that it's in Texas it's also smart they'd have almost the entirety of the zoo completely shaded by trees).

Milwaukee Man and Ggrarl like this.
  15. geomorph

geomorph Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

I love this review of Fort Worth Zoo, thank you. I visited in 2010 when MOLA opened and would love to go back and see it again!

Milwaukee Man likes this.
  16. Milwaukee Man

Thanks for the replies! Photos are now up in the Fort Worth gallery.

@d1am0ndback Yes, it is great that Fort Worth is very shady. This, along with some of the other aspects I mentioned, are what this Zoo one of the most beautiful I've seen. Black-footed ferrets: I could've sworn the small sign I saw was an animal info sign, but it very well may have been the conservation info you mentioned. I guess I quickly saw the ferret sign, and looked but didn't see anything on display, assuming I just didn't see any ferrets during my visit. It may have also been I was a bit occupied by the fascinating roadrunners in front of me. :p