Join our zoo community

Macaws in Brazilian Zoos

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by David Matos Mendes, 15 Apr 2021.

1. David Matos Mendes

David Matos Mendes Well-Known Member

Moderator note: thread split from here: New population plan at Recife zoo [Recife Zoo]

Oh, I thought Rio still kept the species. So I think the destiny of it is to be phased out in a not too far future, as I have never heard about any plans to breed it around here...

Last edited by a moderator: 15 Apr 2021
  2. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

Yes I hope that both of these will get sent to Rio or another zoo in the country, I'm sure there are others which have the blue throated macaw in the country, right ?

I can't remember where I've seen blue throated macaws here before certainly I've seen the other Bolivian macaw species the red fronted macaw in zoos though.

David Matos Mendes likes this.
  3. Onychorhynchus coronatus

It would be a shame if they did phase it out, I mean there are captive populations of blue throated macaws in USA, Canada, Europe, Singapore etc but I do think Brazilian zoos can play a role in ex-situ of species from neighbouring South American countries too.

4. David Matos Mendes

I thought Rio kept blue throated, but Enzo said they no longer don't. This way, Im almost sure no other zoos in the country keeps them. São Paulo does keep Bolivian macaws. I've seen one in my visit last october:
    DSCN4332.JPG

5. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Yes, I remember seeing that bird in SP, I think that is a great green macaw (Ara ambiguus) though which is native to Colombia, Ecuador and Central America.

I can't remember whether they have the Bolivian red fronted macaw at SP but there is definitely an individual at Sorocaba.

The red fronted macaw at Sorocaba is quite a strange bird as it has formed a pair bond with a scarlett macaw, lol.

6. David Matos Mendes

This is the military macaw but I think you meant the smaller one, right? São Paulo also keeps them if I remember well. I'm almost sure I saw them there.

7. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

As far as I know, Rio and Brasília were the other holders in Brazil. Red-fronted macaws, different than their blue-throated relatives, are commonly kept at Brazilian zoos; I've seen them in Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo, Camboriú, and I think there is a zoo in Minas which holds them (Zoo das Aves in Poços de Caldas).

8. David Matos Mendes

Zoo das aves indeed has a gigantic bird collection. There are probably specimens in there that are not kept in any other zoo in the country...

9. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Yes, thats right.

I think you are right that the red fronted macaw is much more common, I can't remember the red fronted macaw at SP but in Sorocaba yes.

10. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

São Paulo kept both species; since my mom took a picture of the red-fronted and military macaws during one of my previous visits.

11. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Yes, sorry, you are absolutely right, it is a millitary macaw:

Yes, I mean this species, the ararinha-de-testa-vermelha / paraba frente roja :

[​IMG]

(credit to @Therabu)

David Matos Mendes likes this.
  12. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

According to a 2019 survey, the São Paulo zoo keeps nine red-fronted macaws and a single male military one.

13. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Honestly though with regards to both of these macaw species, the blue throated and the red fronted macaws, I do think Brazilian zoos could and should play a big role in their ex-situ.

There are major pressures on wild populations in Bolivia and Bolivian zoos are under a lot of pressure so Brazilian zoos could help with ex-situ.

Also I think it is great to have these birds in the bigger zoos of the country because they are ambassadors of species which are from neighbouring South American countries so do have educational value.

14. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Indeed; some other animals Brazilians zoos could keep would be both the Colombian white-headed capuchins, as well as the mountain and Kabomani tapirs.

15. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Mountain tapirs, might be tricky to bring here I think but definitely there are many mammal and bird species from other South American countries which would benefit from ex-situ populations in the bigger Brazilian zoos.

16. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Maybe both species of mountain coatis, as well as Geoffroy's and brown spider monkeys?

17. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Spider monkeys, sure, potentially but not too sure about the mountain coatis as I don't know too much about them.

18. David Matos Mendes

I remember seeing quite a bunch of the red-fronted ones indeed, and only one individual of the military species, wich is the one that appears in this pic I sent.

19. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Brilliant that this topic now has its own thread :)

20. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member