Join our zoo community

Macaws in Brazilian Zoos

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by David Matos Mendes, 15 Apr 2021.

1. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

The pet shop where they are being sold is called Galpão Animal. I'd recommend following the account because they also sell lots of interesting critters.

2. arafan

arafan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I would say the red-fronted are among the most kept macaw species, if not the most. They aren't (werent, at least about two years ago) as expensive as blue-and-yellow or scarlet and seem to breed well. It's always strange to see that the native species are fairly uncommon in the pet trade while you can find so many different species of exotic ones...

3. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

Well I suppose it makes sense considering the protected status of the native species of macaw, the legislation by IBAMA surrounding the keeping of these and the difficulty of obtaining authorization.

That said, I would really hope that all of the red fronted macaws being sold in the pet trade are captive bred animals and not trafficked wild-caught animals from Bolivia.

Last edited: 19 Apr 2021
  4. arafan

arafan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

You're right, it definitely has to do with the IBAMA regulation, which sometimes is really strange, and I absolutely get the point on reduce the illegal traffic, and it surely does its part, but I'm unsure if that is enough.
    And there are always some black sheep that sell illegally caught animals as captive bred ones, there are several cases of macaws and amazones, never heard that this is also the case of the red-fronted, but there's definitely a possibility. And that's exactly why I think we need to increase the number of (legal) breeders, a thing that doesn't happens for years.

5. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

I think that increasing the number of legal breeders could work someway to reducing illegal trafficking but I'm quite concerned by recent moves by the administration (pushed by the private ownership lobby) to scrap regulations and what the consequences of this could be in increasing trafficking.

I think the red fronted macaws (and blue throated macaws too) would have historically been trafficked in large numbers as wild caught birds from Bolivia to Brazil and particularly to the hub of the illegal trade in SP but I don't think the demand would be high enough for large numbers of these to be trafficked anymore.

arafan likes this.
  6. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Hello, everyone. I have recently visited Passeio Público in Curitiba. There are three red-fronted macaws at the park. Brasília zoo also seems to hold two of these, according to their species list made in October 2021.