Join our zoo community

Zoo Aquarium de Madrid Madrid zoo news

Discussion in 'Spain' started by kiang, 8 Mar 2010.

Tags:
  1. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Video of the Sumatran elephant calf :

2. KEEPER

KEEPER Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thanks for the video Vogelcommando ;)

The Cuvier gazelles who were released into the wild, to came to Africa from Almeria (from a Breeding, Acomodation and Research Centre) for animal Species from former Spanish Sahara, not from Madrid.
    In fact I'm pretty sure that Madrid not kept Cuvier gazelles.

3. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Almeria and the Parque Oasys zoo on the Canary islands provided animals for the Tunisian release project.

zooboy28 and KEEPER like this.
  4. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Baby Elephant pictures on TV when I arrived in Valencia today. Here's a google translation from the Madrid's facebook page:

Mama Cynthia has had a natural birth at 5:47 this morning. After ten minutes, the baby was raised and since then, it has been permanently protected under the legs of its mother.

Madrid, March 21, 2017.- The first day of spring in Madrid's Zoo Aquarium has started with great news and the best start of the breeding season, the birth of the second Asian elephant breeding with only five months of Difference since the birth of the small Pillar, last October 12.

drill and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  5. KEEPER

Ha...! ha...! ha...! :D:D
    She was named Pilar because she born in October 12.
    Hard to explain, but in Spain we have a lot of Saints and Virgins who have a "dedicated" day. And October 12 it's The Pilar Virgin Day. Spain National Day by the way. :rolleyes:

6. littleRedPanda

Are the young Elephants here Sumatran? I didn't look at the info while visiting and just noticed my post from March reporting them to be Asian.

7. KEEPER

To my knowledge yes. His mother arrived pregnant from Berlin.

littleRedPanda likes this.
  8. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Indeed, Madrid has the only pure Sumatran breeding group in the EAZA.

littleRedPanda likes this.
  9. littleRedPanda

I'm not sure if this was mentioned elsewhere on the forum (translated on google from the zoo's website)

Wednesday, August 22, 2018 - 09:38

The two young were born on April 12, 2018 , are Asian leopards ( Panthera pardus saxicolor) but until just a few weeks ago they have not been able to observe frisking because they have been protected by their mother and have a scary character.

His mother is 16 years old and his father is 9 years old. They got along very well from the beginning. The delivery occurred in a quiet and isolated interior area that is prepared and conditioned weeks before to serve as "nest or farrowing." In the days before delivery, only her most trusted caregivers are those who feed and supervise her, since any stress could affect maternal care.

Two veterinary reviews and vaccinations have already passed and they are in optimal health conditions . They are getting to know the outdoors with their mother , although they are still a little shy and if there is something new they hide quickly in the protected area where they were born.

It is the first time that this Asian Leopard has been breeding in the zoo (we had previously had African Leopard breeds ) and it is an important event from the conservation point of view and within the framework of the EAF coordinated from EAZA since this subspecies of leopard it is in danger of extinction (category "endangered" according to IUCN red list), with a category of threat greater than the African leopard.

Kifaru Bwana and kiang like this.
  10. Jungle Man

Jungle Man Well-Known Member

The male Asian elephant calf born at the zoo on March has been named Hope. Also, Surya the Orangutan had a baby on the beginning of May. On the end of April, some Eurasian Eagle-Owl chicks were born.

Veah, StoppableSan, KEEPER and 3 others like this.
  11. Loxodonta Cobra

Loxodonta Cobra Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Veah, TinoPup and SivatheriumGuy like this.
  12. zooman

zooman Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I would love to know more about Malabo, personality/history. Pertinax??

13. SivatheriumGuy

SivatheriumGuy Well-Known Member 5+ year member

A Mishmi takin calf was born on the 14th of March of this year. As far as I know, this is the first time the zoo breeds takins.

14. SivatheriumGuy

Giant panda twins born at the Madrid zoo!

15. SivatheriumGuy

16. Veah

Veah Member

So, this year Madrid Zoo is celebrating its 50 anniversary!

And they chose a logo to commemorate it which IMHO summarizes everything about its last decades: now instead of one panda bear, we have two. A species that has been present in the zoo for just about half of its history, instead of some other equally exotic and equally endangered species that have been always present in the zoo. They have the interest and love of the public, that's for sure, but I always hope that zoos stop focusing so much of their social media content and budget resources in this species.
    It's not only a problem from Madrid, I think, but from other zoos with giant pandas. They are like a black hole of attention and I think that other species suffer from this. And that's not a problem of pandas themselves (poor ones, I have nothing against them), but something caused by laziness or mismanagement from the zoo.
    These last couple of years, for example, the online campaign for naming the newborn twin pandas got much more social media attention than other equally important events like the arrival of a new female Indian rhino, the birth of a baby gorilla, or the death of the zoo's last Malayan tapir.

[​IMG]

17. SivatheriumGuy

I've never liked how the Madrid zoo posts its announcements, there is no way I can keep up to date with the Parques Reunidos zoos. As someone who can rarely be in Madrid but wants to keep up to date with the parks, this is hell and back, and it really saddens me that whenever I speak to people I know about the zoo everything that I have never been informed of comes rambling down to me (I was told that the Malayan tapir, European bison, bush dogs,... were all dead by a friend of mine). Like many zoos in this country, the way they communicate with the people with actual interest in their development is very very poor, and I'd kill for it to be more transparent and direct.
    Talking about the logo, that spot the second panda takes should have been for the Iberian lynx, just saying... but it's at least a pleasant logo to look at!

Antoine, Kifaru Bwana and PossumRoach like this.
  18. KEEPER

IMO The 50th Anniversary of the Madrid Zoo is in black and white, (like the pandas) because it is out of date.

Kifaru Bwana and SivatheriumGuy like this.
  19. SivatheriumGuy

The logo is just a metaphor for being stuck in the 70's. :D

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  20. KEEPER

Yes, from the 70s, but from the XIX th Century! :D

Kifaru Bwana likes this.