Join our zoo community

Zoo Aquarium de Madrid Madrid zoo news

Discussion in 'Spain' started by kiang, 8 Mar 2010.

Tags:
  1. Veah

Veah Member

So the European bisons and the bush dogs died too?? I noticed their absence in my last visit, but I hoped they were just off show for some reason (there were workers doing improvements or repairs in the former bison and wild boar enclosure). Thanks for the info, even though they are very bad news. We are losing such a diverse collection... And no new arrivals are expected for the 50 anniversary, I could bet... Happy birthday, zoo Madrid!

2. SivatheriumGuy

SivatheriumGuy Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yep... the zoo is really losing reasons to visit it. It's a genuine shame to be entirely sincere.

Veah and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  3. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

What I do not understand is the zoo is not breaking away from the concrete jungle of exhibits it was designed like in the mid 20th century.

What happened with Indian rhino Malayan tapir, ungulates?

4. Veah

Veah Member

The concrete exhibits are protected as cultural heritage, so the zoo can't do almost anything about it. There was some plan to restore and improve both their architectural value and their use by the animals (less fake rock and more plants, things like that) but neither of the last two mayors have gone ahead with it (probably because of political issues, given all the fuss about Barcelona zoo)

About the Indian rhino, a new female arrived last year and is expected to breed with the male.
    The Malayan tapir died just before the 2020 pandemic closure, I think... And I don't know what are you asking about the ungulates.

5. SivatheriumGuy

If you asked me I'd say the best way of renovating the zoo would be swapping most of the large mammals with smaller species and "adapting" the enclosures without touching the cement structures (I'd say something like the London zoo did would suit the zoo). I get that you can't do much as long as our favorite cement blocks keep being protected cultural heritage, but you can play around with that! Add branches, differ on substrates, add natural rocks, make moats useful spaces for the animals,... there are so many things that can be done better, but if the zoo is set on keeping the same species in exhibits that haven't changed since the 70's and are clearly not suitable for them, then we are going nowhere.

6. aramacao

aramacao Well-Known Member 15+ year member

In addition to cultural issues, I think the problem in Madrid is that the management of the zoo is carried out by Parques Reunidos, and they seem to only think about business. It's very sad to see the decaying state of the Madrid's zoo.

7. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Kifaru Bwana and SivatheriumGuy like this.
  8. Veah

Veah Member

Yes, those are exactly my thoughts. There are options to improve the enclosures without demolishing them, you just need to be creative and willing to do it. The arrival of the Iberian lynx gave a good example, that enclosure is a much more radical revamp than what I thought it was possible.

9. SivatheriumGuy

The lynx exhibit was an amazing step in the right direction, an amazing new inclusion. When it first opened I hoped for more exhibits to follow through, but here we are! A genuine pity.

StoppableSan and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  10. AWP

AWP Well-Known Member 5+ year member

How unfortunate, just on the day of my visit to the zoo they were working next to the Iberian lynx exhibit. The lynxes stayed inside for the whole day... The panda cubs made up for this a bit, though.

11. Veah

Veah Member

What were those works about? Visitor paths or exhibits? The lynxes are between the Mackenzie wolves, the owls and a small enclosure with no animals.

SivatheriumGuy likes this.
  12. AWP

AWP Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Construction work on the fence surrounding the zoo and trimming bushes, but exactly between the owl aviary and the lynx enclosure.

Well, compared to my first visit in 2008, the collection dropped a bit in species numbers, but on the other hand came some not that common species like yellow-footed rock wallaby, Mishmi takin, European mink, giant otter and especially Iberian lynx to the zoo.

13. SivatheriumGuy

True, I do think that some species that have been disappearing since the early 2000s are better off in the park because some exhibits just aren't suitable (European elk, Andean bear, Gaur,...) and that the species you have mentioned are really cool species, but take under account that since the 2010's we also have lost some very cool species that the zoo seemed to want to hold into (European bison, Malayan tapir, Bush dog, Iberian red deer,...). That's at least how I see it, I don't know what you guys feel like about the whole situation.

JigerofLemuria and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  14. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I agree with you 100%, The zoo is in a 1970's time warp mess.

They seem unable to manage and breed even the simpelst of regular species like rhino, tapir ... many others and losing local native species like Iberian red deer and to be reintroduced European bison is painfail (native species conservation should get a boost).

15. tigris115

tigris115 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

OOC, who runs Madrid Zoo? I personally enjoyed my visit (more so than Barcelona) though I think a master plan would be very useful, especially as IMO, many enclosures, while servicable in terms of animal welfare, are kind of bland and, if reworked, can provide a much more exciting experience

Last edited: 6 Jun 2022
    JigerofLemuria and Aramar like this.
  16. SivatheriumGuy

The zoo is run by Parques Reuinidos, a theme park running company.
    -
    Birth news:
    Nicole, one of the Yellow-footed rock wallabies (Petrogale xanthopus) has given birth!

17. SivatheriumGuy

New individuals:
    The zoo is now home to a new Queensland koala (Phascolarctos cinereus cinereus), Yindi.
    -
    Somehow, I have a memory of someone saying that the koalas (or at least some individuals) at Pairi Daiza ended up going to Madrid, but I can't find anything supporting this claim. Does anyone know anything about this? Was Yindi one of those koalas?

https://twitter.com/zoomadrid/status/1539579515499941888/photo/1
    FV2vaH6XgAQqYXv.jpg

18. JurassicMax

JurassicMax Well-Known Member

19. SivatheriumGuy

News:
    - Dora, the park's iconic golden-tabby Tiger (Panthera tigris) has passed away of syncope that she had while taking a bath, causing her to drown in the pool. She was an 18-year-old animal that arrived from Jerez in 2013 that has accompanied the zoo's other tiger, Falcao.

Madrid zoo Twitter
    FnLLzfeXEAAYJL_.jpg

Randomname0183 and Platypusboy like this.
  20. SivatheriumGuy

Birth news:
    - A month ago a Giant anteater (Myrmecophaga tridactyla) was born at the zoo! Offspring of Calima.

Madrid zoo Twitter
    FoS3eLwWcAAFgB8.jpg