Join our zoo community

Magazines published by UK zoos

Discussion in 'TV, Movies, Books about Zoos & Wildlife' started by Designaka, 27 Dec 2016.

Tags:
  1. Designaka

Designaka Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Can anyone help me compile a list of UK zoos that publish printed magazines or newsletters? Not online, they must be regular paper publications. I believe that ZSL and Paignton currently print magazines. Thanks.

2. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Chester Zoo - Z Magazine. Published four times a year to members and adopters

Dudley Zoo - ZooNooz. Again published four times a year for adopters and members

Belfast Zoo - Zoo Crack. Not sure on how frequently its published but again to members and adopters

Not sure if it would count on your list but Dublin Zoo also produce a news magazine

Edit: Colchester Zoo - Zoo Matters magazine. Available to buy printed from the zoo which is unusual these days

Last edited: 27 Dec 2016
  3. Designaka

Thanks Nisha Dublin does count I should have said UK & Eire. How about Twycross or Bristol? Or smaller places such as Wildwood and Exmoor? Does anyone know?

4. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

The Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust still produces a magazine “Waterlife” for its members; this is published four times a year and it provides updates from the WWT’s various centres. (These days, though, this publication tends to concentrate more on the wildlife at the centres than on the captive exotic waterfowl in the collection.)

In addition to this quarterly magazine, the WWT publishes an excellent annual scientific journal “Wildfowl”.

5. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

As someone who eagerly collects zoo stuff, I have to say that most UK zoo magazines are shockingly bad: the quality of layout, of writing, and of editorial direction is just dire. ZSL's thing has very limited coverage of the zoos themselves (and what it does have is platitudinous beyond measure). Colchester no longer sends theirs out to members (and, if they did, it web a waste of time, such is the lack of substance to it). Marwell's has all the insight and quality that one might expect from that zoo.

Does Belfast still produce Zoo Crack? And, as far as I know, Banham and Africa Alive still have a 'real' magazine which was, certainly until very recently, as good as anything else in the UK - relatively meaty news about the zoo.

6. NigeW

NigeW Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Chester's Z magazine has shown an improvement over the last couple of issues to be fair, but its still very shallow, driven by coperate design rather than content, and skewed to conservation projects off-site rather than the coverage of zoo life. I was thinking while watching 'Secret Life of the Zoo' with the family that as members we should already know much of what we were learning from it; should be in the mag.

You'd have to be a hard core collector to take up space retaining them. Ours go to recycle once read.

7. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

Why is it called Zoo Crack? Does the word 'Crack' have some other meaning in Irish?

:p

Hix

zooboy28 likes this.
  8. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

"Crack" - or "craic" - is Irish for a sense of having a good time. Countless ghastly "Irish" pubs around the world will advertise themselves as offering "good craic".....

9. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

Thanks for that Sooty!

:p

Hix

10. Designaka

OK I now have:

ZSL
    Paignton
    Chester - Z
    Dudley - ZooNooz
    Belfast - Zoo Crack
    Dublin
    Colchester - Zoo Matters
    WWT - Waterlife & Wildfowl
    Banham including Suffolk (I can't get used to Africa Alive) Zootierelist says they have dingos is that right?

Thanks for these. Are there any more? Bristol must do something surely as they have trillions of members.

11. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Suffolk was the last UK collection to hold Dingo, correct - however this has not been the case for over a decade I believe. I just checked ZTL and it is still listed as a former holding only, so I suspect you looked at the site with the wrong option selected :p

12. Nisha

Linton have one as well - published in place of a guidebook

13. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Edinburgh offers a biannual magazine for members, called Lifelinks, available either as an e-mail or there is a printed version available too.

14. Designaka

Do you how frequent the Linton magazine is Nisha?

15. Nisha

It was four times a year - but they haven't uploaded issues to the website for over 12 months now so that may have changed

Zoo News