Join our zoo community

Zoologischer Garten Magdeburg Magdeburg Zoo

Discussion in 'Germany' started by Jordan-Jaguar97, 3 Dec 2011.

1. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I assume the oryx calf might be a gemsbok?!?

2. Jungle Man

Jungle Man Well-Known Member

Yes, it could be a gemsbok. I translated it into English and it says it was an oryx. In German it is oryxantelope, but I didn't knew which specie it was.

3. Kifaru Bwana

No problem, Google Translate is obviously not the most reliable translation tool (it quite often transliterates and consequently you get very curious sentences or meanings in the other language you are translating into).

As far as I know the Zoo Magdeburg still only maintains gemsbok.

I would love to see that change over to bees oryx ..., given the entire setting and species concept and theming. Hopefully, the new interim and probably new director will not change much in terms of concept and development plans for the zoo since the last one was "sacked".

Jungle Man likes this.
  4. Kifaru Bwana

Google is also an irritant when you write!

Bees should be Beisa!

5. Jungle Man

Jungle Man Well-Known Member

On June 3rd, several Giant Wood Rail eggs were found and on June 22nd, the first chick hatched.

Security Check Required

In early June, 3 black-rumped agoutis were born. The female is staying with the offspring in something like an aviary in the sakis complex. The male is staying in the agoutis enclosure.

Security Check Required

A blue-headed macaw (Coulon's macaw) was born on May 29th.

Security Check Required

In mid-april, the zoo's Western Siberian Eagle Owl pair had offspring. They are a male and a female and are the pair's first chicks.

Security Check Required

On April 16th and 17th, 2 red shouldered macaws hatched.

Security Check Required

Antoine and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  6. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

7. 16217

16217 Well-Known Member

Due to health reasons, the young lynxes are being raised BTS

Jungle Man likes this.
  8. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

On Feb. 8 2021 a Giant anteater was born at Magdeburg.
    The species is kept since 2001 and the first breeding-result was archieved in 2005.
    The young born now to breeding-pair Kaspar and Estrella is the 5th young of this pair :).

9. JurassicMax

JurassicMax Well-Known Member

Recently 5 Nubian ibexes (Capra nubiana) were born, the zoo now has 2,4,5 Nubian ibexes.
    According to the zoo's instagram, 13 Nubian ibexes have been born in European zoos this year.

Source:
    Instagram of Zoo Magdeburg (04/06/2021) https://www.instagram.com/p/CPsBA2ZggMs/

Antoine and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  10. ralph

ralph Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Has anyone been to this zoo lately and could they tell me if the following species are still kept? They're mentioned on ZTL, but not the zoo's website (but the latter could be incomplete/outdated)

- Black-tailed marmoset Mico melanurus
    - Grandidier’s Vontsira Galidictis grandidieri
    - Marbled poleca Vormela peregusna

Considering a visit to this zoo in september and these are all species I've never seen before so I'd love to know if there's a chance for me to see them. Thanks!

11. 16217

16217 Well-Known Member

6 months ago these species were still present, and from all species they have multiple individuals, so I would assume they are still there!

12. ralph

Thanks! Hope things didn't change since then.

Are the Black-tailed marmoset located at number 36 on the zoo map? ('marmoset, parrot')
    And where do I find the polecat and vontsira? Neither are mentioned on the map.

I will not have a full day to visit the zoo so I want to be prepared for my visit and make sure not to miss out on the rarities.

13. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

From memory that is indeed where the Black-tailed Marmosets will be.

The polecat is in a small enclosure near the snow leopards (39) - on the map you can see a small triangular area to the left of the snow leopard enclosure formed by a detour in the footpath, the polecat enclosure is on that path.

The vontsira went onshow after my last visit but I believe the exhibit is viewed from within the lemur walkthrough (23).

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  14. ralph

Thanks, that's really helpful.

15. Tomek

Tomek Well-Known Member 10+ year member

All species was on show in October last year (when I was there last time). But was only one Marbled Polecat and with Grandidier’s Vontsiras you need luck. Black-tailed Marmoset are very active and is no problem to see them...

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  16. ralph

Thanks. I'll be sure to visit their enclosures first thing when I get there, and will come back a few times if they're not out. All I can do is hope luck will be on my side.

17. HOMIN96

HOMIN96 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think they replaced hyraxes in the Mandril house, or at least it looked like it from the pictures I saw...

18. ralph

Visited Zoo Magdeburg yesterday. Unfortunately unlike Berlin Zoo and Tierpark, the zoo still has a lot of covid restrictions in place which are not mentioned on the website.

Despite there being very few visitors yesterday, a lot of the zoo was closed/unavailable. If anyone is considering a visit soon, keep this in mind.

-Tapir house closed. Titi monkey, bats, sun bittern, tanager, poison frogs not visible. Tapirs were not out and therefor not visible.
    - Rhino house closed. Rhinos were outdoors, Black lemurs were not and are only very poorly viewable through the glass doors of the building. Same applies to a portion of the reptiles.
    - Giraffe house closed. Any animals kept there not visible (some fish and maybe some birds?)
    - Elephant house closed. Yellow-spotted hyrax, monitor, degu, hagedash ibis, abdim stork, fishes etc not visible.
    - Chimpanzee house closed. Bigger chimp enclosure not inhabited. Chimps are visible in the smaller outdoor enclosure, not when inside. Dwarf crocodile visible through window, any others are not.
    - Saki monkey/agouti walk-through enclosure closed but animals are visible
    - vulture/secretary bird/porcupine walk-through enclosure closed, animals visible
    - Australian walk-through enclosure closed, animals visible
    - Sand cat walk-through enclosure closed, animals visible (IF you're lucky)
    - Observation huts for owls an kites closed, some now harder to see
    - Lemur walk-through enclosure closed. Lemurs poorly visible. Grandidier's votsira NOT visible, which really sucked.

Also the aviary that previously held Village Weaver and dubble-spurred Francolin was empty. Animals not on display elsewhere.

19. Hvedekorn

Hvedekorn Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Are there any animal houses in the zoo that are actually open, or are you just listing them one by one to mention which animals they keep?

20. ralph

The mandril house is open.