Join our zoo community

Magnolia Plantation and Gardens Magnolia Plantation and Gardens Species List (4/2/23)

Discussion in 'United States' started by biggest_dreamer, 13 Apr 2023.

Tags:
  1. biggest_dreamer

biggest_dreamer Well-Known Member

I’ll preface this by saying that this is my first attempt at a species list, but this place has such a small roster consisting almost exclusively of domestics and native species, so it seemed like an easy enough endeavor. I didn’t realize this facility even had a zoo until I was already in the parking lot for a family visit, which was a nice surprise. It’s a very small zoo completely surrounded by a solid wooden fence (save for the horse yard) to prevent its free-roaming species from escaping into the rest of the gardens. To its credit, most of the enclosures seem to be at least on the lower end of adequate, which is unfortunately uncommon for lowcountry South Carolina. Only the single adult alligator felt truly questionable with its raised pool accessible only by a probably-too-steep and awkwardly placed ramp. Overall, though, it was a quaint area that is obviously meant to supplement the experience of the grounds as a whole. That said,
    • Eastern box turtle
    • Eastern screech owl
    • Common snapping turtle (signed but unseen)
    • American alligator
    • American alligator (two juveniles)
    • Red fox
    • Black-tailed prairie dog
    • Red-tailed hawk
    • Turkey vulture, black vulture
    • Spiny soft shell turtle (Apalone spinifera), common pond slider (Chrysemys scripta), mallard
    • Muscovy duck
    • Khaki campbell, Ancona, and Pekin ducks
    • White-tailed deer (this may have been a free-roaming individual who just hopped the fence to hang out in an otherwise empty enclosure)
    • Eastern gray squirrel (leucistic)
    • Barred owl
    • Great horned owl
    • African spurred tortoise
    • Bobcat
    • Raccoon
    • Kunekune pig
    • Blue and gold macaw
    Reptile House
    • Canebrake rattlesnake
    • Southern copperhead
    • Pygmy rattlesnake
    • Corn snake
    • Eastern diamondback rattlesnake
    • Eastern mud turtle
    • Stink pot
    Free-roaming
    • Domestic chicken, peafowl, domestic goat, white-tailed deer
    Horse Yard
    • Shetland pony
    • Donkey
    The reptile house list was provided by my wife, so I can’t speak to its accuracy beyond what she provided - I have a terrible and very annoying phobia of snakes so I rely on her to feel out those types of places for me.

Overall, nothing special in this species list, and at a $30 admission it’s certainly nothing worth going out of your way for unless you plan to spend a good chunk of the day walking the greater gardens. The gardens truly are beautiful though, with several opportunities to spot wildlife (we saw a wild alligator and barred owl in addition to countless lizards and wading birds), so having the zoo on top of them is a nice little capstone.

2. Smaggledagle

Smaggledagle Well-Known Member

Stinkpot is another name for common musk turtle by the way.

Good job on the species list.

StoppableSan and SwampDonkey like this.
  3. SusScrofa

SusScrofa Well-Known Member

When I was in South Carolina I wanted to stop at this place and do the plantation tour and museum, but the weather unfortunately was very rainy and I couldn't stay another day.