Join our zoo community

Make a Exhibit for a dinosaur

Discussion in 'Speculative Zoo Design and Planning' started by MizzB, 8 Sep 2020.

1. MizzB

MizzB Well-Known Member

Hello! I got this idea, you ask for a dinosaur and I give you one, then you need to make a Exhibit for it. This is my first time making a thread, so I will give this a shot! By the way you can add as many dinosaurs that you want.

Last edited: 8 Sep 2020
    LowlandGorilla4 likes this.
  2. ThatOneZooGuy

ThatOneZooGuy Well-Known Member

I’ll take one please! :D

3. MizzB

MizzB Well-Known Member

Okay! Your dinosaur is Lambeosaurus!

ThatOneZooGuy likes this.
  4. MizzB

MizzB Well-Known Member

@ThatOneZooGuy are you still working on a exhibit for the lambeosaurus?

5. ThatOneZooGuy

I am, I should have it finished by tonight.

MizzB likes this.
  6. MizzB

MizzB Well-Known Member

Okay!

7. ThatOneZooGuy

Dinosaur Provincial Park-

This expansive exhibit would be located in a remote, secluded corner of a facility, planted heavily with conifers, pines, and spruce trees.
    From the entrance, a wide path curves through the woods with mock fossils tucked into rock formations dispersed generously through the foliage. Waterfalls trickle beneath bridge sections of the path, making their journey from the hills not too far away. The first paddock nears.
    To the left of the pathway, sits a large paddock. This large yard is a clearing of the trees with only several scattered about. The low security fencing, not dissimilar to that of a springbok or ostrich, give the perfect view into the yard. Sitting in the middle of the yard is a clear pond surrounded with boulders. Near these boulders, and near this lake, live Struthiomimus 5:3. Gathering in a flock, the viewing creates the perfect way to see their social behaviors in action.
    Not far up the path is a small stand serving foods as well as a restroom, both simulating a small log cabin. Nearby is an exhibit of slightly smaller size. Now with more trees and a small brook flowing calmly through the rocks, dirt, and undergrowth of the exhibit’s floor. This exhibit houses Chirostenotes 1:1. Nearby is a mock nest explaining the misconception with the oviraptosaurians and their eggs.
    The path briefly turns to boardwalk as it passes over a gradual, shallow ravine. This boardwalk encourages guests to immerse themselves in the forest taking in all the sights, sounds, and smells of the primordial habitat.
    As the boardwalk ends, the path moves into a large plaza with a statue of a Lambeosaurus at its center. The fences are tall and made of wooden posts, creating a barrier, and view obstruction. Despite this, at the far end of the plaza sit two large viewing covers with massive glass panels looking into two separate exhibits.
    Both of these two exhibits are similar to that of the Struthiomimus, however the spaces are larger, with bigger ponds, as well as more expansive forested sections. These two yard house Lambeosaurus 3:4, and Parasaurolophus 4:4. These exhibits, in the name of enrichment, actually rotate on a daily basis giving both extraordinary species the sense that other animals had been there before them. A display sits in the plaza explaining the wonderful crests of these creatures and how they were used.
    Moving back into a more densely wooded area, the path becomes darker and more narrow. Again, swapping to a boardwalk to cross yet another shallow valley. This time, however, an exhibit sits below.
    Glancing down into the trees, the movement of a shallow brook, and bushes swaying in the light breeze catch the visitors eye, however, underneath the pathway also lay some of the most amazing species to ever live. In this exhibit of medium size live Edmontonia 1;0, as well as Stegoceras 2:3. This mixed exhibit is meant to simulate dynamics that could be found between large and small herbivores in the wilds of Cretaceous Alberta.
    Carrying along the path, it opens up into a final plaza. In the center is a dig site for young kids to dig around in the sand and find ‘fossils’. There are also a few tents set up with molds of fossils to show kids what we once only knew of dinosaurs, that was before Jack Horner’s Chickenosaurus kickstarted a revolution in genetic paleontology . The plaza, set up similarly to the last, has two very large exhibits with tall fences and viewing galleries.
    Within one exhibit sits a large lake surrounded by fields and forest. This expansive, nearly 5-acre exhibit is home to a herd of Styracosaurus 3:5. Similarly to Elephants of zoos, these species are also showcased in a large barn. This barn gives guests a sneak peek at what goes on behind the scenes.
    A little ways away is the final exhibit of Provincial Park. The viewing is purposely partly obscured as not to give a full image unless the animal wants to be seen. The elusive, apex predator of the ancient formation. This tree dense, riparian, paddock is home to the fearsome Gorgosaurus 0:1. A mighty roar leaves the animals maw as the guest ventured away from the grand viewing windowZ With that, lies the grand finale of the exhibit. Hope you enjoyed your taste of a past word at Dinosaur Provincial Park.

JigerofLemuria and MizzB like this.
  8. MizzB

MizzB Well-Known Member

Wow! I really love it! I love all the dinosaurs that you used, do you want a new dinosaur?

9. ThatOneZooGuy

Thank You! I’d definitely take another!

MizzB likes this.
  10. MizzB

MizzB Well-Known Member

Okay, you dinosaur is Torvosaurus.

11. JigerofLemuria

JigerofLemuria Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Alright, I'm in. Give me any dinosaur you wish, and I'll design an exhibit for it! :)

12. MizzB

MizzB Well-Known Member

Okay, your dinosaur is Baryonyx

13. JigerofLemuria

British Barremian Bonanza:
    This complex would feature three exhibits (one vast paddock, two smaller fortified enclosures on each side). The central paddock would be somewhat flat in design, with a couple of rocky outcrops breaking it up, along with a moderately sized pond. The vegetation would mostly consist of low-growing shrubs and ferns, but deep gingko and pine forests would fringe the borders. At the tapering northern end would be a large barn, large enough to shelter the inhabitants; 1.3 Iguanodon bernissartensis, 0.2 Polacanthus foxii and 2.5 Hypsilophodon foxii. Some feeding troughs would be scattered throughout the enclosure, filled daily with greenery for them to eat.
    On the right of this paddock would be a smaller, but no less impressive exhibit for 1.1 Neovenator salerii, in a more rugged enclosure featuring canyon-like rock formations, with some monkey puzzle trees scattered throughout, giving an overall shadier appearance to the exhibit, and a waterfall would cascade into a small pond. The theropod's shelter would be integrated into the exhibit, covered in mock rock imitating the many cliffs. Their food, such as partial steer carcasses, would be given via zip line.
    The last exhibit in this complex would be rather different, featuring a very large lake (about 40-50% of the enclosure's area), surrounded by a grove of bald cypress with an underbrush of horsetails and reeds, and even said land area would be criss-crossed with two shallow streams. The barn would even have an indoor pool, making the animals, 1.1 Baryonyx walkerii, feel at home no matter the season. Their food would be provided by a weak catapult throwing large food items into their lake, thus giving them the incentive of swimming for their food.

Next species please?

14. MizzB

MizzB Well-Known Member

I really like it! Your next species is Carnotaurus!

JigerofLemuria likes this.
  15. JigerofLemuria

A single piece exhibit surrounded by tall, strong steel fences (able to contain an elephant) would surround a very extensive paddock, flat in terrain, dry soil confirming its soil, decorated with sparse trees (monkey puzzles) and bushes, a couple of large-ish rocks and a small pond to one side. At the far side of this enclosure would be a shelter, about the size of your average elephant house, and running along the left side of the enclosure would be a fortified, elevated guest path. A strong, steel cable would attatch to a reel on the other side on the fence, across the enclosure from the shelter; every morning, a large piece of meat, perhaps even a whole steer, would be attatched to this wire, and left in front of the shelter door. When these doors open, the meat is reeled in, dragged throughout the enclosure, as a 1.1 pair of Carnotaurus sastrei give chase, showing off their formidable speed.
    Next please?

16. MizzB

MizzB Well-Known Member

I really like this one too! You next species is T.rex

17. MizzB

MizzB Well-Known Member

Hey guys? o_O

18. JigerofLemuria

Sorry about the long wait. I've been a bit tied up, and making an enclosure for T-Rex is a T-Rex sized responsibility. But here goes!
    Hell Creek Reborn
    This 6-exhibit complex displays some of the most notorious dinosaurs from America's most famous fossil site, the Hell Creek Formation.
    The first enclosure you see, a huge paddock which connects the entrance and exit of the exhibit, is home to 1.3 Edmontosaurus annectens and 2.2 Thescelosaurus neglectus. It would be a flat, rather open expanse of herbs and ferns, broken up by forests of araucarias, sycamores, palms and magnolia at the sides and a grove in the middle. A moat filled with water and a sharp slope would separate the dinosaurs from the public, and opposite said barrier, on the other end of the prairie, would be a large barn that would accomodate both these ornithopods and their neighbors in an opposing exhibit.
    Turning right would be another large, moated paddock, of a similar description to the former one, perhaps a bit more forested however, and it can be provisionally split in two, with sturdy steel beams and wires providing the barrier in most of the exhibit. It would be home to 1.1 Anklyosaurus magniventris, which will only be kept together during mating season, or if their overall interactions prove to be peaceful.
    The third large herbivore paddock, in view of the forner exhibit and the next three, would also be considerably forested, and have a large variety of bush-like plants, in terms of heights, for this is a browser exibit, bordered off by a moat and a steel beam fence. Sharing the barn with the Edmontosaurus and Thescelosaurus, but with different compartments, this exhibit would host 1.1 Triceratops horridus.
    The main attraction, opposite the triceratops, would have a relatively small viewing area, but it would be the largest armoured paddock, fenced off by heavy electric fences, around it and splitting it provisionally in two. Each half would have a barn at the far end, which connects to the Ankylosaurus' barn and that of the next exhibit I'll describe. These deeply forested habitats, each featuring a sizeable pond and a zip-line above to dangle large portions of meat onto, is home to 1.1 Tyrannosaurus rex, joined together only for mating season, the connecting door at the far end of the exhibit to give them privacy.
    The following two enclosures are significantly smaller than the previous four I described, although combined they're quite large. The first is the biggest outlier, covered by a strong aviary-like ceiling connecting to the metal grid fence, not electrified but escape-proof for a very dangerous climbing animal. At home in the most deeply forested of the enclosures, with a small stream running down the middle, are 1.1 Dakotaraptor steini.
    Lastly, there's a modestly-sized moated paddock, more lightly forested, with a barn on the far side, that accomodates 1.2 Pachycephalosaurus wyomingensis, the last Hell Creek dinosaurs in the exhibit.

Well, that was quite something. Next species please?

19. MizzB

MizzB Well-Known Member

its okay and wow I really like this one too :D Your next species is Megaraptor

20. LowlandGorilla4

LowlandGorilla4 Well-Known Member

Can I join?