Join our zoo community

Make An Exhibit Based On An Exhibit In Real Life

Discussion in 'Speculative Zoo Design and Planning' started by TheZooMan10, 7 Jul 2020.

1. TheZooMan10

TheZooMan10 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update and just let me know when you are ready to receive your next exhibit.

2. grevy's zebra

grevy's zebra Well-Known Member

Montana: Home of the Grizzly

The entrance to the area is greeted by a circular habitat with a ditch at the walls but a mound in the middle. The Black-tailed Prairie Dog burrows in this habitat, and to the right, are two aviaries for the Crested Caracara and the Great Horned Owl. Further down, on the left a large, rectangular meadow is revealed, letting Pronghorn Antelope, Sandhill Crane, and a female American Bison to roam. Further down, an elevated path leads you to see a dirt paddock with grass on the edges for the Mule Deer and Manitoban Elk. Next to them, disguised with trees so the ungulates don’t get stressed, is a meshed in habitat for the Mountain Lion, or Cougar (whatever you prefer). The path leads you further down, with a viewing structure for the pronghorns. Also in the structure, a Barn Owl aviary is viewable. At the end, a small outdoor café gives you a good view of the pronghorn and cranes as you eat the bison’s relative. Outside the court, a small building with underwater viewing let’s you get up close with Grizzly Bear.
    Hope this is good. I tried to have a better collection then the real zoo America, who is missing two stars of the americas: bison and grizzlies.

3. Austin the Sengi

Austin the Sengi Well-Known Member

Hey @TheZooMan10 is it possible that I can have Wallaroo Station from Zoo Tampa at Lowry Park as my next project?.

4. red river hog

red river hog Well-Known Member

I'll do one.
    I've been to the Maryland Zoo, Brandywine Zoo, Cape May County Park Zoo, Philadelphia Zoo, ZooAmerica, National Zoo, Adventure Aquarium (Camden, NJ), National Aquarium, Disney's Animal Kingdom, Busch Gardens (Williamsburg, VA), and Naples Zoo

Last edited: 26 Jul 2020
  5. grevy's zebra

Just wondering, what’s your home zoo?

red river hog likes this.
  6. red river hog

Brandywine

7. grevy's zebra

Alright, and being in Maryland myself, I haven’t heard of Brandywine having a zoo.

8. red river hog

It's in Wilmington, Delaware, along the Brandywine River. Although I don't blame you if you haven't heard of it. It only has 21 species on exhibit currently and is about 5 acres, but due to decreasing attendance numbers, they developed a master plan to expand the zoo to be around three or four times the size and have around 30 species.

9. grevy's zebra

At least they have exotic animals like servals and red pandas,

10. red river hog

11. grevy's zebra

12. TheZooMan10

Sure!
    How about Amazonia at the National Zoo.

grevy's zebra and red river hog like this.
  13. grevy's zebra

Just to let you know I am open for a new exhibit.

14. red river hog

Can I use the same name?

15. TheZooMan10

How about African Journey at Maryland.
    Sure but it has to be different than the one in real life.

red river hog and grevy's zebra like this.
  16. red river hog

The entrance area will be a large dark room with fake tree trunks, vines, and rocks on the walls. In between the gaps of the rocks there are aquariums and terrariums for Limosa Harlequin Frog, Gliding Leaf Frog, Cayenne Caecilian, Slender Arapaima, Black Pacu, Flagtail Prochilodus, Burgundy Goliath Birdeater, Threespot Leporinus, Starlight Bristlenose Catfish, Piraya Piranha, Black Arowana, Whiptail Catfish, Magdalena River Turtle, Marbled Poison Frog, Yellow-striped Poison Dart Frog, Mata Mata, and Electric Eel. The next room is brighter, with a glass roof. It's the monkey room. There will be exhibits on either side of the room seperated by netting. There are lush plants all around you. Many of the animals will be in mixed-species habitats. Animals not compatible with monkeys will be in enclosures in the middle of the room. The animals in this room are Ornate Titi, Roseate Spoonbill, Brown Rainbow Boa, Brazilian Giant Tortoise, Hoffmann's Two-toed Sloth, Lettered Aracari, Red-fan Parrot, Silvery-brown Tamarin, Black-capped Squirrel Monkey, Colombian Red Howler Monkey, Moustached Tamarin, Black Saki, and Black-mantled Tamarin. An outdoor walking trail takes you through a dense forest Jaguar, Spectacled Bear, Giant Anteater, Capybara, Mountain Tapir, Maned Wolf, Giant Otter, and White-bellied Spider Monkey.

Not great, but I tried. I tried to have different animals, but some are the same. I will be willing to try again.

17. TheZooMan10

Hey,you did include different species which is what I asked.Next for you is Rare Animal Conservation Center in Philly.

18. red river hog

Since most of the animals at this exhibit are found in rainforests, I will call this Rainforest Realm. The building will be U-shaped with exhibits lining the walls. All the habitats will have naturalistic backgrounds, substrates, and climbing structures. They will also have plants and some will have small pools. All monkeys in this area will have access to outdoors. They animals housed in Rainforest Realm are Grey-cheeked Mangabey, Palawan Porcupine, Black Saki, Silvery-brown Tamarin, Moustached Tamarin, Ornate Titi, Brown-throated Three-toed Sloth, King Colobus, Ocelot, Blue-throated Macaw, King Vulture, Plate-billed Mountain-Toucan, Writhed-billed Hornbill, and Andean Condor.

19. Austin the Sengi

Do expect for this to be quite a while before I unveil Wallaroo Station to you all

20. Austin the Sengi

Wallaroo Station: Part 1

When you enter the exhibit,the first thing you will come across after you walk under the entrance of the habitat is a fork in the road with two paths leading to two different areas of the exhibit.We will start off at the left path and thus that’s where we’re heading.To the left is a large special events building that resembles a sheep station which is named *The Woolshed* which can hold up to one hundred and ten guests per event and thus it is really popular with zoo guests that want to attend a special event and thus this is our answer to having a large special events building in our zoo.Moving on from the special event space,we turn to our right towards a small seating area facing a shaded wooden platform,this is the animal ambassador area of the zoo for which visitors can get up close and personal as well as learn about Australian animals every Wednesday and Thursday day at 10 am,12 pm and 2 pm.Passing by the ambassador area we continue down our path and soon come across a yet again fork in the road.Here we can either turn to the left and see some animals or turn right and see the shops and restrooms of the area.

You tell me where we should head next...

(And stay prepared for Part 2).

Last edited: 27 Jul 2020