Join our zoo community

Make an Exhibit for that Recently extinct species

Discussion in 'Speculative Zoo Design and Planning' started by KevinB, 13 Apr 2020.

1. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Nice exhibit. I like the details you included and how you referenced the different habitats.

Your next species will be the Crescent nail-tail wallaby, Onychogalea lunata.

2. Gulopithecus

Gulopithecus Well-Known Member

This is an interesting challenge. I’ll give it a go.

KevinB likes this.
  3. Crotalus

Crotalus Well-Known Member

I'd like a species too please.

KevinB likes this.
  4. KevinB

Your species will be the Upland moa, Megalapteryx didinus.

Your species will be the Malagasy dwarf hippopotamus, Hippopotamus lemerlei.

Gulopithecus likes this.
  5. iluvwhales

iluvwhales Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Desert rat kangaroo
    The Hot North
    This walkthough exhibit is dedicated to to wildlife of Northern Australia. This exhibit is in a large building and is a community exhibit. Roaming on the ground are desert rat kagaroos, and swamp wallabies. There are also brushtail possums who can climb trees in the exhibit. Free-flying birds include budgies and cockatiels. In rock formations jutting up from the ground are enclosures for smaller animals: woma python, bilbies, and bearded dragons.

Next species, please.

KevinB likes this.
  6. KevinB

I like your exhibit. The combination of arboreal and ground-dwelling mammals, birds and reptiles is very nice.

Your next species will be the New Zealand greater short-tailed bat, Mystacina tuberculata.

7. Zoovolunteer

Zoovolunteer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This exhibit is based on the ASZK recommendations for the closely related Northern Nailtail Wallaby: https://aszk.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/Mammals.-Northern-Nail-tailed-Wallaby-2012AE.pdf Details have been adapted for a UK zoo

The exhibit is an oval with the long axis 20m long and the width 10m. Public viewing is from one side of the long axis - the other side has the inside heated quarters and a small offshow yard. The exhibit is surrounded by a fence with 3 cm mesh - small enough to enclose the animals while providing protection from predators. It is also roofed with the same dimension mesh. Substrate is sandy soil and it is planted with various Australian shrubs such as Bottlebrush (Callistemon), Grevillea and Eucalyptus. Other furnishings are hollow trees lying flat and also tilted at an angle to allow the animals to climb if they wish. Food is provided in separate trays for each animal. Initially the enclosure will hold 1.2 individuals. In the middle of the exhibit is a shallow pool for drinking water. As well as the wallabies the enclosure is also home to a pair of Western Rosella parrot plus their offspring, and a small group of the crepuscular Bourkes Parakeet.

KevinB likes this.
  8. KevinB

I like your detailed description and your reference to the husbandry manual. Also, that ASZK website has some fine resources I didn't know about before, so thank you for introducing me to that.

Your next species will be the New Zealand or Auckland merganser, Mergus australis.

9. Gulopithecus

Gulopithecus Well-Known Member

Alrighty, here it goes:

Return of the Moa

This large, forested paddock houses a flock of Upland Moas (Megalapteryx didinus) and it contains various feeding trees similar to those given to elephants, giraffes, or gerenuks. The importance of the moa is discussed through various information postings.

May I have another species please?

KevinB likes this.
  10. KevinB

I like your exhibit.

Your next species will be the Giant fossa, Cryptoprocta spelea.

11. iluvwhales

New Zealand Nights
    A flock of New Zealand greater short-tailed bats and a breeding pair of North Island brown kiwis (as a proxy for southern brown kiwi) live in an indoor reverse-lighting enclosure.

Next species, please.

KevinB likes this.
  12. KevinB

I like the combination of a nocturnal insectivorous mammal with a nocturnal bird.

Your next species will be the Cuban macaw, Ara tricolor.

13. iluvwhales

Cuban macaw
    Wings of Cuba
    This exhibit is a walkthrough aviary that is home to cattle egrets, Cuban amazon parrots, fulvous whistling ducks, roseate spoonbills, and Cuban macaws. In the exhibit is a lake for a flock of American flamingos.

Next species, please.

KevinB likes this.
  14. KevinB

Lovely exhibit. I would love to see this setup combination of birds, even the version with only the living species would I think be something that would work well in a zoo.

Your next species will be the Lord Howe swamphen, Porphyrio albus.

15. MonkeyBat

MonkeyBat Well-Known Member

Is it possible for me to have a species? Most optimally one that has gone extinct in the last few decades?

KevinB likes this.
  16. KevinB

Your species will be the Poʻo-uli, Melamprosops phaeosoma.

17. iluvwhales

Lord Howe swamphen
    An Island in Peril
    This exhibit is based on wildlife of Lord Howe Island.

The exhibit starts out with a marsh for Lord Howe swamphens Embedded into a rock formation is a breeding colony of Lord Howe Island stick insects. The last exhibit is home to little blue penguins.

Next species, please

KevinB likes this.
  18. KevinB

Nice exhibit.

Your next species will be the Caspian tiger, Panthera tigris virgata.

19. iluvwhales

Caspian tiger
    Persian Preserve
    This area starts with a pond for mute swans, mallards, greylag geese, tufted ducks, and greater scaups. Next there is a community exhibit with breeding herds of onager, goitered gazelles, Transcaspian urials, and wild boar with plenty of trees and rock formations (for the urials to climb). Separating the guests from the community exhibit are dedicated exhibits for Pallas' cats, red fox, and honey badger. Here will be a panorama effect to give the sense that the exhibits are all together ala Hagenbeck. The next exhibit is home to a pair of striped hyenas. The last exhibit is home to a breeding pair of Caspian tigers. Between the path and the tigers is a lake for a flock of greater flamingos.

Next species, please.

KevinB likes this.
  20. KevinB

A very nice combination of species, and I appreciate the mentioning of the Hagenbeck effects.

That said, I am not sure whether wild boar can be safely mixed with other ungulates as they are pretty aggressive and have some serious weaponry.

Your next species will be Rabb's fringe-limbed tree frog, Ecnomiohyla rabborum.