Join our zoo community

Making the most out of a day at the San Diego Zoo (question)

Discussion in 'United States' started by Hipporex, 2 Feb 2020.

1. Hipporex

Hipporex Well-Known Member 5+ year member

So long story short, next Saturday I'll be spending the day at the San Diego Zoo. I went to this zoo many times as a youngling and have been twice that I have memory of. That being said this will be the first time I'll be visiting while being on Zoochat, so now I'd like to use the knowledge of my online compadres to get the most out of my day. Things like what's the best route, reccomended shows, and animals found here not commonly found elsewhere are what I'd like to know. I'll tag these members (@betsy and @Julio C Castro) because I know they frequently visit and can hopefully help me out.

twilighter and Julio C Castro like this.
  2. Julio C Castro

Julio C Castro Well-Known Member Premium Member

I’m actually going again this coming week on my days off for two whole days :D As for the best route, it depends on what you want to see. My normal routine is going on the right side as I enter which takes you through Australian Outback, their key exhibits are their small aviaries and koala exhibits across the road. Then depends on what you’re dying to see: the new Africa Rocks or Elephant Odyssey. I do change it up and then make lap through either, making my trek further north to the Northern Frontier to see Polar Bear Plunge. Then I’ll continue down that path to go into Lost Forest which if you deligently want to see it all, it will take an hour and maybe longer if you like to hangout for the right photo shoot. I like to save the Reptile Mesa, consisting of Reptile Walk and the Reptile House, for last due to having less foot traffic as the zoo closes although you won’t see many reptiles in their outdoors exhibits unless they’re crocodilians. I like doing the big 3 every visit: Africa Rocks, Elephant Odyssey, and Lost Forest. If you truly want to make the most of it, I’d do all those areas and finish with Reptile Mesa. As for shows, I haven’t seen any yet but have had the fortune of being at keeper talks. Africa Rocks has two animal demonstrations around the mid section during the first half of the zoo’s operating hours, the area is called Rock Box. It’s a nice shaded area to eat a quick snack and stay for the demonstration :) I don’t know about others but it’s nearly impossible to see it all in 1 day: it’s a massive zoo and I imagine most of us like to stay at certain exhibits longer than usual which can make time fly so quickly. I hope this helped. An added bonus, you can probably due all the walkthrough aviaries and spend a significant amount of the day just doing those. I have 1 to 2 more I haven’t seen yet due to seeing the other parts of the zoo but they will be my target areas this coming week :p

twilighter, Great Argus and Hipporex like this.
  3. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

What species that you're aware of are you really wanting to see?

Also the Skytram isn't currently operating so that means you'll have a lot more time spent getting across the zoo.

Hipporex and Julio C Castro like this.
  4. Hipporex

Any species that isn't on my species list that belongs to one of the groups I keep track of.
    Animals I'm aware of
    1. African forest buffalo
    2. Golden takin
    3. Siberian musk deer
    4. Black mangabey
    5. Schmidt's red-tailed monkey
    6. Silvered leaf langur
    7. Horned parakeet
    8. Sulawesi hornbill
    9. Emerald monitor
    10. Most of the amphibians
    11. Most of the snakes

Great Argus likes this.
  5. Hipporex

Thanks for all this useful information! I'll take it wisely. How knows maybe we'll bump into each other?

Julio C Castro likes this.
  6. Julio C Castro

I’ll be going on Tuesday and Wednesday this coming week so maybe not :( haha and you’re welcome!

Hipporex likes this.
  7. Great Argus

Other notables include Gelada, Fossa, Pygmy Hippo, Giant Eland, Tasmanian Devil, Spot-necked Otter, Cape Clawless Otter, Harpy Eagle, Steller's Sea-Eagle, Ornate Hawk-Eagle, Crowned Eagle, Collared Lory, Carmine Bee-eaters, African Darter, Blue-winged Pitta, Raggiana Bird-of-Paradise, Superb Bird-of-Paradise, Gharial, Chinese Alligator to name a few. :)
    You might also check out Anteaterman's species list for SDZ.

twilighter and Hipporex like this.
  8. Hipporex

I have indeed been scouring Anteaterman's list and I may even use it to make my own list to take with me! I've already seen a couple of the ones you've mentioned (like I said I've been before) but others not so. I'll keep my eyes peeled. I'm very excited. For reference of what groups I keep track of, and what I've already seen, here is my species list: Every Mammal I've Ever Seen (More Or Less) (please note despite the title I keep tract of more than just mammals)

Great Argus likes this.
  9. AmbikaFan

AmbikaFan Well-Known Member

I Love the Skytram! o_O. I hope it's not going the way of the Bronx's sky ride or Chester's monorail. It's not merely transport--it's a great way to see the zoo.

I can't do it in less than two days, but I do go back and visit certain faves like the polar bears or then-pandas or hippos or cape buffalo a second time. Are the cape buffalo still there?

Julio C Castro and Hipporex like this.
  10. AmbikaFan

AmbikaFan Well-Known Member

LOVE this word, @Hipporex!! Youngling!

11. Great Argus

I made a list of what I wanted to see as well, and it did help!
    Nice list, I've seen many of the same ones you have since I've been to many of the same places! :p

12. Julio C Castro

I don’t remember seeing any Cape buffalos on my last visit but can check it out this week :) The hippo habitat is awesome and it’s good to chill out away from the sun while sitting under the shade close their exhibit!

AmbikaFan and Hipporex like this.
  13. Hipporex

I assume Ambika is referring to the African forest buffalo that did/does share an exhibit with red river hogs.

Great Argus and Julio C Castro like this.
  14. Julio C Castro

I never seen the African forest buffalo :eek: I need to see it now...

Hipporex likes this.
  15. Great Argus

I was under the impression it had passed away a couple years ago but I keep hearing seemingly current references to it so I'm confused regarding that subject! Maybe somebody can clear up whether it's still around?

Hipporex likes this.
  16. Great Argus

@Hipporex A few other things now that I've had a chance to think about the subject a little, from the perspective of a non-regular.

The zoo is a lot of walking, even when the sky tram is running. Also the zoo is not flat at all! :p

You might want to check out the map online to get an idea of where your target species are. Might also help you plan your route.

Lost forest can be tricky to navigate, with the multiple levels. Maybe a more regular Zoochatter might be able to suggest a good route.

If you're interested in any of the tortoises, you probably want to drop by them earlier in the day, they appear to usually be brought in on the early side.

Hipporex likes this.
  17. betsy

betsy Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Helen the forest buffalo passed away a few years ago. If you are into photography, I would suggest going to Africa Rocks first thing because the sun is brutal on the mesh they used for the enclosures. I always enjoy the keeper talks, they are listed on the back of your map. If it is a hot day, I would do the right side of the zoo in the morning and Lost Forest in the afternoon for the shade. Remember the zoo is situated on 2 mesas with a deep canyon in the middle. When looking at your map Hua Mei Cafe is the lowest elevation so all the streets are uphill from there. I am usually at the zoo a couple of days a week but never on the weekends if anyone wants to meet up. I spend a lot of time at the bonobos.

18. Julio C Castro

That’s kind of my routine for the past couple visits, Lost Forest is good for keeping the harsh sunlight off you and I love seeing Africa Rocks early in the morning while everyone is coming out. The bonobos are fun to watch, they are so human like in their mannerisms more so than the other great apes at the zoo haha

Hipporex and betsy like this.
  19. drill

drill Well-Known Member

No longer held in the US and perhaps the New World right?

20. Hipporex

Thank you Betsy for the information. It's unfortunate we won't be able to meet each other, maybe next time.
    Thank you too for this. I just finished a list of want-to-see species and I think it'll help a lot.

One last question, for now, does anyone know if the aye-ayes in Asia Passage ever come out into public viewing and if so, when?