Join our zoo community

malayan tapirs

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by patrick, 23 Feb 2006.

1. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

That would seem to fairly certainly place the blame for blindness on too much Australian sunlight....

Somone posted a while ago that Malayans are much more aggressive than other tapir species- is that your experience?

2. Pertinax

As they give details of the grandparents and mother- but don't mention the father, I think that's quite likely....;)

3. Pertinax

So it seems maybe Port Lympne have only the one breeding female(mother of the most recent calf) unless the grandmother is still breeding too.

4. Al

Al Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Again im not completely sure of the animals there but will try and find out!

I wouldn't say malayans are more aggressive than the other species. Like all tapir you can have individuals with different 'personalities'. Brazillians definately as a rule are more laid back than them. Our male 'Elmer' who came from Mulhouse zoo is a big softy and will do anything for a tickle and tummy rub. We use him as part of our keeper for a day and anyone can go in with him safely and get their photo with him! the female isnt aggressive just a little wary and protective of her calves, if you give her the respect she deserves and read her right you have no problems.

Interestingly alot of zoo have a strict protective contact policy with them. Wether this is due to their flighty nature or the fact that a keeper in oz had their arm ripped off by one im not sure.

When in wuppertal i discussed their behaviour compared to that of the bairds and again it seems very similar!

5. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

Mountain tapirs are very friendly, or the group at LA were. The keepers just went in, did the necessary jobs and then gave them a little tickle and a stroke!

Al, If I come over to belfast, how old would I have to be to do keeper for a day, as I'd like to hug a tapir. they are my favourite mammal, and they are all soooo cute!!!

6. Al

you have to be 17 im afraid but let me know wen/if you come and you can come and see the tapir and hug him! it will be my pleasure!

7. James27

James27 Well-Known Member

How the hell did a tapir rip someones arm off?!

8. Al

At taronga! a mother was protectinh her calf and tossed the keeper about by her arm! nasty

9. James27

James27 Well-Known Member

Wow... Can't really imagine that lol

10. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

since tapir are perissodactyls, they should still be fine for import jay.

11. Ara

Ara Well-Known Member

Malay tapirs are quite feisty.
    The old-time animal collector Frank Buck ( who used to write rip-roaring "bring 'em back alive" type books) nearly had his face ripped off by what had always been a fairly tame tapir.

12. Coquinguy

Coquinguy Well-Known Member

i have a hard time believing the taronga thing. both berani and denise are or were groomed by hand by the keepers, hand fed and denise was even ultra-sounded awake during her pregnancy. but may have happened, if so would like to know details.

13. Newzooboy

Newzooboy Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Marwell Tapirs

Just to clear a few things up from earlier in this thread re: Marwell tapirs and eye condition.

In the fairly recent past Marwell held 2.2 Malayan Tapir. One pair in the 'semi-aquatic mammal' house with the hippos and another over the road (this enclosure now used for takin with fairly minor modifications).

At least one of the animals in the hippo house suffered from the eye condition described here (as mentioned, the outdoor area was a large but simple grass paddock but they had access all year). The other enclosure is sheltered by a number of trees both in and around the enclosure and the pair in here did not seem to have any eye problems.

Marwell only ever bred one malayan tapir ('Hoover' who I beleive went to Twycross??) although I am unsure if the parents of this animal were any of the four mentioned above. Eventually Marwell 'went out' of this species as individuals either died (or were euthanised owing to ongoing problems) or were required elsewhere as part of the EEP.

Incidentally, Marwell also kept Lowland Tapir even longer ago and I had heard rumours that these may make a return as part of the South American themed 'biome' (god I hate this term......how can a 'biome' exist in a zoo!!!)