Join our zoo community

Malayan Tigers in Europe

Discussion in 'Europe - General' started by docend24, 25 Aug 2008.

1. docend24

docend24 Well-Known Member

I've just realized that according to ISIS there are only 5;4 these tigers in european zoos and 26;22 total in captivity. I know these numbers are bit right, does anyone know more? I was quite shocked.

According to Zoo Prague article about their new male Kawi (brought from Lok Kawi Wildlife Park as a new blood) there are 16 malayan tigers in european zoos all (except Kawi) from Halle bloodline (Halle, Praha, Usti nad Labem, Dortmund and both Berlin zoos). I know it is a new sub-specie but still I expect these numbers should be higher. It looks like some of these are still listed as indochinese on ISIS (TP Berlin, Usti).

Just to be clear current individuals in Prague are 2;2 when Radja and Banya should be paired with Kawi and hopefully there will be some cubs in 2009.

2. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There is one old non-breeding male at the Zoo Berlin but all others exept Kawi are from the Halle bloodline.

Halle has 1.2 breeding animals, the females are full sisters. Currently one of them has 3 male cubs and I think the other one has 3 cubs too, but not sure on that. 3 (1.2) of their earlier offspring are in Pargue, 0.1 lives in the Zoo Berlin and 0.1 in the Animal Park Berlin. 0.2 live in Dortmund Zoo. You see need blood is urgently needed if the zoos want to avoid heavy inbreeding.

US zoos keep a good number of this subspecies and when Halle imported the 1.2 animals, 5 or 6 went to US Zoos, many of them have bred now with each other and with the malayan tigers which originated from an earlier import (another 4 founders). So an exchange of animals between Halle and the US would be a really, really good idea. I believe the male tiger from Halle is currently undergoing DNA testing to make sure that he is a purebred Malayan tiger (though I don`t have real doubts that he is!), and hopefully then an exchange can happen.

3. docend24

Thanks for info.

I really hope Kawi will pay off, Prague curator made 3 trips to southeastern asian zoos/parks to choose a male for Prague Zoo, so hopefully he chose well. I hope other zoos bring more individuals from Asia to secure the situation here in Europe. Any exchange between USA and Europe would be helpful too.

I've read that Melaka Zoo provided malayan tigers to San Diego, Singapore AND LEIPZIG. Do you know anything about the Lepizig one?

4. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Leipzig has only amur tigers since a number of years, I guess someone mixed Halle and Leipzig because the 2 female tigers from Halle are both from Melaka. Halle is not far from Leipzig, I guess just one hour in car.

5. dragon(ele)nerd

dragon(ele)nerd Well-Known Member

Do you have any more details more so on, the tigers that went to Singapore? Oh and yes the Malay tiger, is there more clarification in what sub-species, there has been talk about that the tiger populating the west side of Malysia or more of the Indo-chinese species, my mother recounts that she saw a tiger when see was little crossing the road, she lived in Sarawak (east Malaysia) I'm sorry about the wording I'm just a little confused,

6. docend24

Sorry, I actually run into it by brownsing through threads about Malaysian zoos here at zoobeat:)

I can only add that Mr.Brandl visited Zoo Melaka, Negara Zoo Kuala Lumpur, Lok Kawi Wildlife Park, Singapore Zoo and Singapore Night Safari in serching for the right young male.

If I find or run into any information about Malayan tigers I would post it here.

Last edited: 26 Aug 2008
  7. docend24

Well as we get into the discussion about malayans in one gallery thread I guess should update it here. For what I know from Prague Zoo news there is still no breeding succes with Kawi, I only manage to spot that they tried to pair him with one of the tigresses and he attacked her. Since then no news about malayans was published (to my knowledge), although I am sure they are trying their best to let him breed. Hopefully that first case doesnt mean he is hard to get along.

8. Nikola Chavkosk

Nikola Chavkosk Well-Known Member

According to Zootierliste, now there are not Indochinese tigers in European zoos, but Malayan tigers kept in 9 zoos.

Is there a plan or going program for one coordinated breeding programe of Malayan tigers in US zoos with those in European zoos. I know that in USA zoos there are at least 60 Malayan tigers, and in Europe around 20.

9. Michel L'HUILLIER

Michel L'HUILLIER Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Does anyone know the list of European zoos and the detail of Malayan tigers they own ?

I just know the pair living at Parc des Félins (Nesles, France), but have no information about their parents :
    - SALWEEN (F), born 10/08/2011 Berlin Zoo, transferred 16/05/2015 Nesles
    - SIRIUS (M), born 02/10/2007 Halle, transferred 03/02/2009 Nesles

Last edited: 1 Apr 2019
  10. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Hamerton have a pair, Sahaja (F) and Cicip (M), that came from the RSCC when it closed in 2015.

Michel L'HUILLIER likes this.
  11. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

12. Senapus

Senapus Well-Known Member

9 zoo's in Europe have 9.10 malayan tigers at the moment.

The pair of le parc des felins:
    SALWEEN (F), born 10/08/2011 Berlin Zoo, transferred 16/05/2015 Nesles (parents: TAREK & SARAI)
    SIRIUS (M), born 02/10/2007 Halle, transferred 03/02/2009 Nesles (parents: SOMPHON & GIRL)

SALWEEN's parents where born in Zoo Halle, too.
    TAREK (M) born 02/10/2007 Halle, transferred 08/10/2008 Berlin Tierpark (he is the littermate of SIRIUS) (parents: SOMPHON & GIRL)
    SARAI (F) born 21/04/2006 Halle, transferred 09/05/2007 Berlin Tierpark (parents: SOMPHON & GIRL)
    They had one litter of 1.3 cubs: 1.0 LAMPUN (M) now in SOSTO, SALWEEN (F) now in Nesles, THAYA (F) died in Berlin Zoo, MANDALEY (F) died in Mervent

The pair of Hamerton
    SAHAJA (F) born 21/06/2013 Halle, transferred 08/04/2015 RSCC, transferred 29/09/2015 Hamerton (parents: SOMPHON & CINDY)
    CICIP (M) born 2009 Lok Kawi Wildlife Park, transferred Aug 2013 RSCC, transferred 29/09/2015 Hamerton (parents: BAYU & CLAUDIA)

The pair of zoo Prague
    JOHANN (M) born 02/10/2007 Halle, transferred 03/02/2009 Nesles, transfered 29/10/2014 Prague (he is the littermate of SIRIUS and TAREK) (parents: SOMPHON & GIRL)
    BANYA (F) born 21/04/2006 Halle, transferred 09/05/2007 Prague (she is the littermate of SARAI) (parents: SOMPHON & GIRL)
    their cubs are: BULAN (M) & WANITA (F) born 03/10/2017 Prague

13. Michel L'HUILLIER

Does anyone of you know SOMPHON (° 08/02/2002 AFAMOSA), GIRL and CINDY (sisters, ° 17/04/2002MALACCA) parents ?
    Thanks in advance.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  14. Michel L'HUILLIER

SALWEEN (F) and SIRIUS (M) had a pair 0,2 born 08/07/2019 Nesles (Parc des Félins), called SERIKIN and SHIMA. They are still there with their parents.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  15. Therabu

Therabu Well-Known Member 10+ year member

What is the current situation of the Malayan tigers in European zoos. Excepted the birth at Nesles in 2019 from two parents of the Halle bloodline, I have not heard of any recent birth, is it right ?
    My understanding is that the future of this population rely on breeding sucess from couples in Port Saint Père (with Kawi, the aggressive male initially imported by Praha) and Hamerton with their female. Is there other un-related individuals in Europe ?

16. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Unfortunately, it is exactly as you descibed it. No new births, no new imports. This subspecies is being phased out in EAZA space.

Gil likes this.
  17. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

I wonder if anyone knows more about Hamerton's pair and if they are being given time together at all?

18. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It may be that the female doesn’t allow mating, which limits their time together……

19. Therabu

Thnak you Jana.
    Would some European individuals be beneficial to the American SSP ? I gues the issue, besides import permits and formalism is that AZA lack space to expand its tiger population but then maybe they should prioritize the Malayan tiger since its situation in the wild is very worrying and lack of other sustainable captive population. Or maybe Asia (Singapore,Taipei and Indonesian zoos) ?
    It would be shame that those individuals are all lost for future efforts of conservation.

Kifaru Bwana, Antoine and Gil like this.
  20. Therabu

Apparently, the couple of Malayan tigers have left Tierpark Berlin for Planète Sauvage in France where they join two other individuals. This move was motivated by the fact that their Sumatran tigers are now in breeding situation and additional space is needed.

Gil likes this.