Join our zoo community

Male Orang-Utans in captivity

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by GiratinaIsGod, 28 Sep 2021.

1. GiratinaIsGod

GiratinaIsGod Well-Known Member

Since many species ( in particular ungulates and primates) have the problem with to many males, since they live in male dominated groups, whit only one adult male. For many species, are bachlor groups the sollution. Because because of their social groups in case of gibbons and chimpanzes does this problem not exist in them. Gorrila bachlor groups, simillar to other primates are also no uncommen. But how is the situation with orang-utans ? From what I know, do adult males generally not tollerate other adult males. Most zoos keep them in single groups, rarely in the Fission fusion system, like in Apenheul. So what is done with the extra males, are they kept behind the scenes ? Or are there bachlor groups, from which I am not awear,

2. GiratinaIsGod

GiratinaIsGod Well-Known Member

Does anybody know the answer ?

3. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I don't think that there is a single answer, but I can think of three factors and there may be more.
    In general orangs are kept in smaller groups than the African apes, either an adult pair or a trio of a male and two females plus their immature offspring (the trio may work better if the females are related). Certainly some old males are kept alone, which is not unnatural for the species: for example, in the UK, Tuan at Chester and Benjy at Dudley are kept on their own, Tuan's enclosures are essentially off-show but Benjy can be seen. It is also probably true that like humans and the other apes, a male orang has a rather shorter life expectancy than a female.

4. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A bachelor group of three males was tried some years ago at -I think it was- Fuengirola or somewhere similar in Spain. It failed due to them fighting at maturity. I don't think its been tried anywhere since. As GL mentioned above, the problem is less acute than in e.g. Gorillas as Oragutans are usually kept in smaller groupings, plus males can be kept singly in captivity which replicates their wild behaviour (for much of the time anyway).

5. JT

JT Well-Known Member

I could be wrong but I think Tuan lives in the main section with the others.

6. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Male Orangutans in Australasia

In Australasia, it’s been managed in a number of ways:

Perth Zoo have always held a large colony with their current exhibit comprising of multiple pods - allowing the adults to be housed separately (unless for breeding.

Auckland Zoo founded their colony with 2.2 juvenile Bornean orangutans. As the males entered adolescence, they had to be separated and the colony was managed with one male housed alone; the other housed with the female group - which included their offspring. The males rotated every two weeks.

Auckland’s colony has since been reduced from nine orangutans to a group of 1.2 which now live together. Melbourne and Taronga similarly reduced their colonies to 1.2 and 1.1 respectively - with the latter phasing the species out a few years ago.

Housing small groups or pairs seems to be the trend across Australasia’s Zoo’s (except Perth Zoo):

Auckland Zoo: 1.2
    Adelaide Zoo: 1.1
    Melbourne Zoo: 1.2
    Mogo Zoo: 1.1
    Sydney Zoo: 1.2
    Perth Zoo: 2.6 (all adults housed separately)

7. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I'd say he lives 'alongside' the others. From memory his housing is at one end and partly offshow. He isn't mixed with any others anymore.

JT likes this.
  8. Akula

Akula Well-Known Member

@Zoofan15 How many does Perth have altogether in one group?

9. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

On my last visit, they were kept in these groupings:

1.0 Dinar (06/03/1987) Dinding x Abigail; Imported 2004

0.1 Puteri (12/06/1970) Atjeh x Puan
    0.1 Teliti (20/10/2009) Hsing Hsing x Puteri

0.1 Utama (19/06/1979) Atjeh x Puteri

0.1 Sekara (20/07/1990) Hsing Hsing x Puspa
    1.0 Sungai (30/12/2011) Dinar x Sekara

0.1 Pulang (21/12/1993) Atjeh x Puan
    0.1 Lestari (09/01/2012) Hsing Hsing x Pulang

I suspect Teliti and Sungai are starting to be separated from their mothers, if not already; while Dinar is currently being introduced to Pulang for breeding.

10. JT

JT Well-Known Member

That makes sense, last time I saw him he was in the indoor enclosure as you walk into rotra and I’d have thought he has access to the old indoor area. I assume he gets outdoor access occasionally.

11. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

No, Tuan has lived separately since at least 2014, well before Willy arrived in 2016. His indoor quarters are in the old Ape House (off show) and he can be given access to the first wired outdoor area, which used to be visible through the window by the entrance to RotRA - but which has been screened off for several years. I don't know how often he can use the outdoor area: I always check by looking through the window by the exit to see whether he can be seen through the mesh of the other enclosure, but it has been years since I saw him.

12. JT

JT Well-Known Member

Ah I see, it must’ve been willy I saw last time then.