Join our zoo community

Man/animal conflict

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by Steefo, 14 Nov 2010.

1. Steefo

Steefo Well-Known Member

Hi
    I was in India over the summer and made a short film for a small conservation organisation. They are based next to Corbett Tiger Reserve and are working on a project to reduce man/animal conflict. On 12/11/10 a lady was killed by a tiger close to Corbett Tiger Reserve which shows how important this project could be.
    Here's the video, any feedback would be great.
    Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Jul 2017
  2. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Most helpful video.

Did you know that Sunderbans tigers have a similar program in place for forest workers?

3. Stefka

Stefka Well-Known Member

Great video, fantastic project! The fact that they are using invasive plant species is awesome!

I have two additional questions, if you don´t mind.

1. What are the specific guidelines to reduce the risk of attacks? Do they only go there in large groups, some of them cutting the Lantana and some of them keeping guard?

2. Where and how are these artifacts sold?

4. Steefo

Steefo Well-Known Member

Hi Kifaru Bwana,

I did know that there was a similar problem in the Sunderbans however I didn't know they had a similar program. Do you have any information on it?

Hi Stefka,

Glad you like the video.

1. Yes I believe as part of the program they were shown how to enter the jungle safely in large groups to remove the Lantana and reduce the risk of wild animal attacks.

2. The artifacts are sold at a small shop found along the main road running along Corbett Tiger Reserve where the majority of tourist hotels are found. The idea was to help this local village set up this program and let them continue to run it.

Here's a link where you can find some more information about the program.
    Mahseer Conservancy