Join our zoo community

Man attacked at Berne bear park

Discussion in 'Switzerland' started by kiang, 22 Nov 2009.

1. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A man was left seriously wounded after climbing into a bear enclosure in a Swiss zoo yesterday.

The 25-year-man climbed onto a wall surrounding the BärenPark (Bear Park) in the city of Bern, Switzerland, before falling 13ft into the enclosure, police said.

He was then attacked by four-year-old bear Finn, who caused severe injuries to the man's head and one of his legs, before a nearby policeman shot the creature - injuring it and forcing it to retreat into a cave.

Man seriously injured in bear attack after climbing into zoo enclosure | Mail Online

2. James27

James27 Well-Known Member

Is it bad that my only thought was "I hope the bear is ok..?"
    Some stupid people around I tell thee.

3. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Yet another jackass who thinks they can pet zoo animals.;)

4. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I believe the Bear Pit in Berne is a tourist attraction located in the city itself, it is not in a 'Swiss Zoo.'

Another example of a mentally ill person entering an animal enclosure- seems an increasing problem nowadays.

5. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

It does say he has learning difficulties so maybe it isn't as simple as an idiot being foolish.

Here is some information on the bear park which replaced the old bear pits in Berne

BärenPark Bern

6. Bele

Bele Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I remember the old bear pit , the new bear park is a big improvement .

7. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I've seen dozens of photos/cards of the infamous old pit. Usually mother bears with cubs in the tiny cramped pit.

This new encoslure looks 100% better. I am a bit confused by the 'large bear pit' and 'small bear pit' that are referred to in the text. Is this new enclosure the third they have had? The number of bears also seems much reduced- now two only?

8. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

It has been a while, but as I remember it, there were two adjoining pits that made the shape of an "8", one was about twice the size of the other and closer to the entrance and road. The larger pit was the main exhibit, with the smaller one for mothers and cubs.

From what I gather, they've opened the wall of the large pit and now use the land between the pits and the river (which was basically a grass bank) as part of the enclosure. According to the website, the small pit can now be rented for functions and is the location of the shop.

So the bears now live in a new, third enclosure, but still have access to the larger of the older ones.

9. Susan Humphreys

Susan Humphreys Well-Known Member

I picked up some old postcards of the Bern bear pit last weekend at a car boot sale. Been looking at the website mentioned above, it says "Finn has recovered well from his gunshot wound, every day, he is outside in the Bear Park and behaves as before the incident. An operation is currently not necessary. "
    It also says "In November 2009, "Björk" retreated into her den to hibernate. As we know now, not just to rest, but also to give birth to the first two young bears in the bear park in Bern. In the weeks after her arrival in October 2009, "Björk" padded her den with grass and straw. Outside in the Park, "Bjork" was only sporadically seen.
    "The next few weeks, she will show the bear park to her two cubs. When exactly this will be the case is up to her to decide. We ask all guests to enjoy this in peace and not disturb the bears with calls.
    For the time being, "Finn" will remain alone in his part of the park. Male bears have no fatherly feelings – he would just kill the cubs."

10. Mr Saxon

Mr Saxon Well-Known Member

No, that was my first thought aswell.

I can't beleive how stupid people are doing this. You here about these sort of idiots at least once a month. You'd think everybody else would wise up and see that they CAN'T pet zoo animals.
    Unless.....if only they could make somewhere for people to pet animals....like in the zoo or something...if only if only....the woodpecker sighs....Oh I know....you could call it a PETTING ZOO!!!:mad:

Must admit I lol'd at this bit
    Police and zoo officials say there has been an outpouring of public sympathy - for the bear.

But if he really does have learning difficulties then I'm probably being a bit harsh. But seriously as Pertinax said, there is an increase of these people