Join our zoo community

San Francisco Zoo Man Climbs Into Grizzly Bear Exhibit

Discussion in 'United States' started by snowleopard, 27 Sep 2009.

1. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Another stupid human vs. large predator encounter at the San Francisco Zoo. This incident sparks memories of the fatal Amur tiger attack from two years ago. What a jackass!!;)

Man sneaks into grizzly exhibit at S.F. Zoo

2. cwenwyn

cwenwyn Well-Known Member

Another case for IQ checks required at the admission gate....

3. James27

James27 Well-Known Member

What a fool. People who do things like this should be eaten, it's natural selection :D

4. EvilKittie

EvilKittie Well-Known Member

Darwin Awards ^^

5. gnuzoo

gnuzoo Active Member

My question is what was staff doing while the guy climbed a very tall fence that is electrified?

6. reduakari

reduakari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

So is there supposed to be a staff person sitting at every exhibit in the zoo waiting for fools to do moronic things? Might be a little pricey.....

The electrification is onlyat the top of the fence, but there is another barrier fence clearly intended to keep people from even approaching the exhibit barrier. You cannot possibly design to prevent determined people from breaching the barriers, or at least not without creating hideous Aucshwitz-like settings. Of course, some might suggest that "Grizzly Gulch" has that aesthetic to start with.....

7. Buckeye092

Buckeye092 Well-Known Member

What is it about dumb people and the SF Zoo? First the tiger incident, then the idiot who hopped two fences into the Rhino enclosure and now this?

8. dragon(ele)nerd

dragon(ele)nerd Well-Known Member

wow. what an easy way of getting up close and personal with Grizzlies. :rolleyes:

9. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

Just leave him there for animal enrichment.

10. dragon(ele)nerd

dragon(ele)nerd Well-Known Member

"Attention visitors be sure to visit the Grizzly bear's exhibit in 5 minutes to see a man clim into the exhibit"

11. gnuzoo

gnuzoo Active Member

12. docend24

docend24 Well-Known Member

Well nobody harmed and you still blaming the zoo... enough said.

13. redpanda

redpanda Well-Known Member

Now that's what I call landscape immersion!

14. CritterBlog

CritterBlog Well-Known Member

This man is obviously disturbed. We should all be grateful it ended with no one being injured or killed. If a person is determined to commit suicide, they will find a way. Zoo enclosures were built to keep animals in, not keep human beings out. Hopefully this man will get the help he needs. I am just happy no bear had to be shot. The zoo was partially liable re tiger incident, but they did nothing wrong here.

15. tigertiger

tigertiger Well-Known Member

I mean this in the nicest way but what is WRONG with the people of SF? Isn't this the same zoo that--in addition to the Tatianna tiger attack--had a man climb into the rhino den?

16. tigertiger

tigertiger Well-Known Member

17. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

This happens at more zoos than you hear about.
    We are learning more here, I believe, about the zoo's relationship with the press then we are about the zoo or its visitors.
    Which doesn't answer your question about the people of SF, of course ...:D

18. gnuzoo

gnuzoo Active Member

I think that's a valid point Zooplantman. The SF Chronicle has not been kind to the SF Zoo at all and jumps on any opportunity to publish negative news. Also SF has a very lax attitude towards vagrancy, misfits, druggies and others which wouldn't be tolerated in other parts of the country.

19. Meaghan Edwards

Meaghan Edwards Well-Known Member

I am so glad he is being charged. I am so sick of animals being killed as a result of human stupidity; thank God they weren't shot.

20. leo811

leo811 Well-Known Member

UG there is just too many things wrong with everything surrounding people entering enclosures. all points are valid. you can't have someone standing guard at every enclosure waiting for someone to attempt an invasion. but at the same time there are also certain precautions that can be made in security. i am very pro my sfzoo, but i also know there are some things that should change. BUT the bottom line like already mentioned here, you can't safeguard again determination. this why there are criminals, period. i'm just grateful that those girls had a distaste for the intruder or one of them may have paid with her life, and for what some loser who regardless of their mental condition has disrespected this animals home. i wish zoo's would band together and go against society's pro human crap and post signs that clearly state "enter at your own risk.' basically "if you enter an enclosure voluntarilly, we will attempt to extract you, but no animals will be harmed in the process." meaning, if you get attack, too bad. sorry to sound cruel, but i'm tired of this crap in general. i'm tired of seeing people every visit torment and alarm the animals. i'm tired of copycats after the tatiana event bringing even more negative media to the zoo. i'm just tired of evil humans.

leo811
    http://gooberssfzoofriends.blogspot.com/2009/06/welcome.html