Join our zoo community

Manchester Zoo Manchester zoo

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Dianamonkey, 23 Dec 2018.

1. Dianamonkey

Dianamonkey Well-Known Member 5+ year member

2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Interesting......

Time will tell.

3. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Ideally, if I were looking for a place to start a zoo I would pick one that was a bit further from Upton-by-Chester.

4. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I am very good friends with the gentleman setting up Manchester Zoo.

Believe me when I say that an awful lot of time, thought, and preparation has gone into developing this idea. If you knew the details of why the location has been chosen, you would all understand.

I can't wait for you all to see and hear about the upcoming developments in more detail in the future.

If you have any questions, I'm more than happy to answer (within reason). It's a zoo that will be very close to my heart, and I can't wait for it to succeed.

*Edit - you have no idea how long I've wanted to share this info with you all. It's been burning a hole inside of me, I'm just glad the cats out the bag now*

ZooWho, marmolady, KevinVar and 5 others like this.
  5. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

He seems a fairly viable candidate for opening a zoo, as compared to those who buy a zoo on a win.
    Has the location been chosen due to this Greater Manchester Spatial Framework thing?
    What are the chances the zoo will interest a zoo enthusiast? I mean does the guy hoping you this zoo have an interest in the lesser seen unusual creatures?

6. TNT

The zoo will cater for both us Zoo enthusiasts, and the everyday visitor. I've seen the list of proposed species, you'll be more than happy if things work out :)

Ned likes this.
  7. Loxodonta Cobra

Loxodonta Cobra Well-Known Member 5+ year member

This will be interesting to watch. Interesting species or not, a new zoo planning on being built, and led by someone who knows how to run and work in one, is always a cause of celebration.
    Is it possible to give us a hint as to what animals are in the plans?

8. CDavies98

CDavies98 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Disappointed to already see a significant amount of negative reaction to this news - dissapointed but not surprised.

I for one think it sounds like a great idea and wish the people behind it all the success in the world. I just hope it manages to fare well with Chester being fairly close.

9. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It looks sufficiently different from Chester to complement rather than compete.

10. Ned

I must be reading a different thread.

Jambo, Zia and CGSwans like this.
  11. CDavies98

CDavies98 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I referred to the Facebook comments of the Manchester Evening News post about the zoo. The responses are remarkably similar to those that followed the Chester Zoo fire, and mainly centre around 'why not give the money to the homeless' and the usual anti-zoo opinions.

Nevertheless, I'm confident that these won't be a barrier to the success of this institution, and sincerely hope this zoo thrives.

Loxodonta Cobra and TNT like this.
  12. Ned

Ah I see. I never look at Facebook but that makes sense, the predictable anti zoo crowed. You need a thick skin to start a zoo.

13. TNT

I shall have to get back to you on that - but obviously plans can always change, so nothing will be 100%.

14. TNT

So, two very important species for the first phase of the site will be Collared Lemurs and Fossa!

And for you small mammal people - lots of different options are being looked at.

15. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Ideally, yes, but being in a major metropolitan centre is more than adequate compensation. If this thing gets built in anything like the manner described then - assuming it is at a competitive price point - it will be a bigger problem for Chester than Chester is for it.

TNT likes this.
  16. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

That might be true, if it were nearer the centre and had better public transport links.

17. TNT

As I've said, the location has been thought about greatly.... Transport links will be developed to accomodate the Zoo.

18. Zooreviewsuk

Zooreviewsuk Well-Known Member

Looks like it wont open to the public until 2021? With School only access from 2020 ?

Their website needs a lot of work, I would have thought they would have only uploaded a website when they had something professional looking which doesn't throw your eyes all over the place.

19. TNT

I couldn't disagree with you more I'm afraid. The website is modern, yet simple... And also professional. I find it easy to navigate, more so than many other zoo websites...

KevinVar likes this.
  20. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

This is brilliant news and I'll be following proceedings all the way from Vancouver, Canada. The proximity to a major collection (Chester) will likely not be an issue as there will be an hour driving time between the two. Many zoos around the world thrive in close proximity, as for example in northern Texas there is Forth Worth Zoo with a million annual visitors only 30 minutes away from Dallas Zoo and its 1.2 million annual visitors. The Berlin parks are 30 minutes apart, as are Minnesota Zoo and Como Park Zoo and all 4 of those facilities have attendance figures well over one million annually. Even near me there is Woodland Park Zoo and Point Defiance Zoo, 45 minutes apart and with a combined attendance of over two million annual visitors. In parts of Germany there are loads of zoos that attract big numbers of visitors while being in close proximity to other tourist attractions.

A future Manchester Zoo, with a mixture of high-profile animals and zoo enthusiast delights, is a winning combination that hopefully becomes a zoological gem in the near future. Bring it on! :)