Join our zoo community

Manchester Zoo Manchester zoo

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Dianamonkey, 23 Dec 2018.

1. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I would say things are more developed than people realize...

There may be no actual "zoo" yet, but that doesn't mean the company can't have any animals? They have plenty of animals, some that they use in their talks at schools, and some held elsewhere.

2. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Has a location been decided on yet, planning permission submitted or building started? Until then it's an animal business/collection with big (possibly comprehensive) ambitions, not a zoo.

monster likes this.
  3. TNT

In all honesty, I can't give out any real information.
    That said, an ideally located site has been selected, and this has been revealed to stakeholders. More information will become available to the public soon.

The site, from what I have seen, looks beautiful... I can't wait to see what they will do with it.

4. redpanda36

redpanda36 Member

Reading the thread, and taking a look at companies house details, would it be right to assume that you're a shareholder in the company?

TNT likes this.
  5. Luca Bronzi

Luca Bronzi Well-Known Member

How do you know it?

6. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Companies House makes very interesting reading. Basically the company has defaulted on filing accounts and Companies House have commenced strike off proceedings. It's relatively easy to stop this, by filing accounts or asking for a short stay of execution, but it doesn't speak well for how organised the project is.

7. SHAVINGTONZOO

SHAVINGTONZOO Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The details from Companies House are ... interesting.

917 shares issued.

900 owned by one person.

The other 17 divided between several other people, some holding just a single share.

And a striking off in prospect for failing to submit accounts.

Somehow doesn't measure up to the claim of substantial investment (did somebody mention £8 million?).

8. redpanda36

redpanda36 Member

Indeed. If I was investing that, I'd want to know that the 'powers that be' were on top of things like that. Doesn't sound like a great investment.

9. Pootle

Pootle Well-Known Member

Are there going to be any of the below at Manchester Zoo? - never mind individual species, lets keep it simple for now.

Elephants
    Hippos
    Rhinos
    Giraffes
    Apes
    Big Monkeys
    Small Monkeys
    Big Cats
    Medium Cats
    Small Cats
    Any animal that will be unique to the UK here
    A Tropical House
    An Aquarium
    Aviaries (birds from around the world)
    Cafes
    Play Areas
    Talks / Shows ie bird of prey etc,
    Rides (fair ground type).
    A Train.

Just being nosy and interested. :)

TNT likes this.
  10. HOMIN96

HOMIN96 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I know you mean it in a good way, but as of now, your question is totally irrelevant.

11. Pootle

Pootle Well-Known Member

why?

12. HOMIN96

HOMIN96 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

All we know so far is, that the location has been chosen. Apart from thar there are sketches od some planned exhibits and some "confirmed" species. We don't know how the location look, what's the infrastructure there like, if/when the building works start...there is just too many variables for us (and hopefully for the board/shareholders/whoever has the say there too) to safely say that something will certailny be there.

Anyways, I went through your list and I think we can divide it into 4 categories:

1. Essential stuff - Cafe, Play area, Aviaries, Keeper talks

2. Basic, easily obtainable animals, high chance that some of them will be there - Small monkeys, all cats (not sure how it is with them in UK, but in rest of Europe certainly)

3. Species in EEP/ESB programs, hard to obtain for starting zoo: Rhino, Hippo, Elephant, Giraffe, Apes, big monkeys.

4. Big and difficult projects - Aquarium, Tropical house, train (sort of, depends if you want it to go through exhibits or not)

13. Pootle

Pootle Well-Known Member

I see where you are coming from now, cool. My question was trying to ask very direct to get some positive information on what animals they are getting, sort of asking on a different angle and if I could get some answers of confirmation to some of my questions I could (we could) paint a picture in our minds of what to expect and compare to other zoos we have visited). It was also to see if I could get a positive confirmation to any of the questions, ie proof of what they are actually getting, rather than hearing things like ‘it will be a good zoo’! as I work about 5 miles from what I think maybe the proposed site it makes it all the more interesting. I know there will be cafes, aviaries, keeper talks etc, but I was also hoping to get a confirmation of any animals form my list which are generally the crowd pullers not necessarily the ‘Zoo Chatters’ favourites. The crowd pulling animals are the ones that make the zoo money and keep it going or / and growing as a business at the end of the day.

14. TNT

Hi @Pootle , sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Take a look on the Facebook/Instagram for the confirmed species... And also a few that I have mentioned here in the forum.

As to the other species you have mentioned, who knows? Maybe some will be part of Manchester Zoo some day... I certainly hope so :) That said, I know that both the casual visitor, and ZooChatters will be more than pleased with the collection.

Sorry I can't be any more help.

15. Pootle

Pootle Well-Known Member

I simply hope its a success for all, and enjoyed by all for many years. Another zoo in the NW is very welcomed and hopefully with support from other local collections, Blackpool, SLWP, Chester, Knowsley et al
    it will do well. Most new tourist attractions in Manchester seem to do quite well.

TNT likes this.
  16. TNT

Thank you, it's great to hear some positivity on the thread. Collaboration is a key part of Manchester Zoo - with local collections, businesses and the community.

17. SHAVINGTONZOO

@ThomasNotTom Any view on the governance issues raised above? Such as the proposal to strike out the company at Companies House ?

ShonenJake13 likes this.
  18. TNT

Small piece of news, but relevant either way. I love the names of these burrowing owl youngsters!
    Manchester Zoo

19. SHAVINGTONZOO

Still nothing to say about the governance issues?

Falconhoof and ShonenJake13 like this.
  20. TNT

:)