Join our zoo community

Maned wolves in mixed exhibits?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by lamna, 12 Apr 2015.

1. lamna

lamna Well-Known Member

I've been wondering, mane wolves don't tend to go after large prey in the wild despite their large size, preferring smaller mammals and fruits.

Could they be housed with other animals safely? Does anyone do this? It could make an interesting exhibit, mixing them with giant anteaters, rhea, pampas deer etc.

2. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

There were mixed, without incident as far as I know, with Giant Anteaters at Edinburgh for a while.

3. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think that this mix is becoming more common in the USA as well, I think Ituri mentioned it on another thread. I'm not sure if it's common in Europe though.

Last edited: 13 Apr 2015
  4. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Makes good sense to me -why waste two enclosures on classic "no-show" animals when you can stick 'em in one together and use more space for other animals? :D

5. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The Phoenix Zoo in theory has giant anteater and maned wolf together, but every time I have seen the exhibit there are no anteaters anywhere to be seen.

6. BedildaSue

BedildaSue Well-Known Member

San Diego used to mix their anteaters and maned wolves this way, and Montgomery Zoo in Alabama does this as well. I prefer them in separate exhibits to be honest, as the anteaters at Montgomery tend to be incredibly territorial and chase the maned wolves away from any spot they wish to be in.

7. Zooish

Zooish Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There is definite risk of the anteaters injuring or killing the rather delicate maned wolves. A zookeeper in Argentina was killed by a giant anteater back in 2007, from fatal injuries to the abdomen inflicted by the anteater's front claws.

8. temp

temp Well-Known Member

Zooish, in theory yes and giant anteaters have been documented killing people both in captivity and the wild. But to my knowledge there have been no maned wolf injuries in any of the zoos that have mixed it with giant anteater. The majority are in North America but also in Europe. I know there are at least two more than are considering this mix. Most of the places where it has been done recently are in the thread http://www.zoochat.com/2/maned-wolf-giant-anteater-mixed-exhibits-374021/#post817807

However the matter of stress has to be considered and this seems to depend on the individual. Based both on my own observations and comments from others some giant anteaters are less accepting. Some places where they've been mixed the anteater regularly chase the maned wolf. Other places they ignore the maned wolf almost entirely. It's the same with the various other species giant anteaters have been mixed with.

Maned wolves have also been mixed with capybara at Wildlife Safari in Oregon. I don't know much about this mix but suspect it would be trouble-free as long as the capybaras don't breed.

Pampas deer are quite small. Maned wolves have been known to prey on this species, although I believe this involved young deer. If you wanted to mix it with deer from the same region a much better species would be marsh deer. Adults are far too large to be considered potential maned wolf prey. Marsh deer fawn would still be risky. The last pampas and marsh deer in captivity outside the native countries died more than a decade ago. If a zoo outside its native country were to import either of these deer again I can't imagine any of them being mixed.

BenFoxster likes this.
  9. wally war eagle

wally war eagle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

montgomery zoo alabama usa houses giant anteaters and maned wolves together for several years in a large natural enclosure.

10. Gforrestersmith

Gforrestersmith Well-Known Member

I wonder if you could mix Maned Wolves with Guanacos and/or Dwarf Caiman?

11. Bib Fortuna

Bib Fortuna Well-Known Member

No Problem with Gunaco females,Maned wolves were also kept together with tapirs.

Yes, Anteaters can kill people, also wolves,bears, antelopes, giraffes,elephants,zebras, deer,cattle,rhinos, hippos,camels can do, but all these species are live in mixed exhibits together with other species.