Join our zoo community

Altina Wildlife Park Maned Wolves

Discussion in 'Australia' started by jones, 7 Jun 2011.

1. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

This is exciting news! How long do we have to wait before we find out the new zoo?

2. Bec.Surian

Bec.Surian Well-Known Member

Unfortunately the new holding facility of Maned wolves wishes to keep the animals off display until they open their new section/area. They have also requested we do not release their name to the public as people will expect to see them when they are not yet on display and they also wish to publicise it to their media in their own time..
    It's not my information to share at this stage.
    But I have visited them recently since settling into their new exhibit and they are extremely happy & content as well as doing very well in all other aspects in their new environment!
    They are beautiful large boys and will display very well at their new facility which will be excellent for the species popularity in zoos throughout Australasia.

Zorro likes this.
  3. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

Two males are being sent to a zoo in NSW (they have not announced where to yet):

4. Bec.Surian

Altina has an awesome week of movement
    2 female meerkats that where born at Altina last year have been send to Adelaide zoo for breeding!

2 Maned wolves - Chiko & Atreo have made a new home at Shoalhaven Zoo
    AND
    1 Maned wolf - Senna has a new home also at Adelaide Zoo stay tuned on each zoos announcement on when you'll be able to see the Maned Wolves in their new homes

5. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

nice. Shoalhaven was not one of my picks for guessing which zoo Chiko and Atreo were going to.

By my count this now makes six zoos in the country with Maned Wolves!

6. Bec.Surian

Sure is!
    Such an amazing achievement for Altina and so exciting for Maned Wolves as a Aussie species

7. Bec.Surian

Altina also wish to introduce to you another exciting bundle of

MANED WOLF PUPS!

After 3 years we can finally greet a litter of pups, 2 girls and 1 boy to a brand new mother 'Adora'!

For the first time ever in Australia, Altina will be offering 'Puppy Playtime' where you can snuggle and play with our 3 Maned wolf pups!

This is for a limited time only and all money raised will go directly to the Maned wolf Breeding program. (Bookings essential & Condition apply)

Monty, Zorro and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  8. steveroberts

steveroberts Well-Known Member 5+ year member

So apparently the first three Maned Wolves in Australia came to Perth Zoo in 1981 from Berlin Zoo & Dortmund Zoo in Germany (source:
    Ecology and Conservation of the Maned Wolf: Multidisciplinary Perspectives edited by Adriana G. Consorte & Co 2013). Apparently 15 imports from Europe, Nth & Sth America went to Australia (all captive born/ also not sure if PZ's original 3 are counted so could be 18 individuals) but apparently between 1983-2013? at least 72 offspring have been born in Australia (sadly only 28 surviving past 1st year though). Apparently 6 institutions in Australia have kept them and as this was published in 2013 I figured Altina, Western Plain, Melbourne, Perth, Taronga and Adelaide would likely be the six mentioned.

Apparently the first four pups born at Perth Zoo in 1983 did not survive but Tetrapod has mentioned that PZ had the most successful breeding program for them in the 1980s so I gather later litters mostly thrived.

Jambo and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  9. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I believe they now have filtered of to a number of regional zoos around the country!

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  10. steveroberts

Oh im totally awre of that Shoalhaven Zooe etc, I was curious about when Maned Wolves first arrived in Aus and roughly how many were bred etc

11. Zorro

At the end of the day I believe it was Altina zoo that saved the Maned Wolfs in Australia after Western Plains zoo lost interest Altina took up the mantle and have done an outstanding job of it not only breeding a number of off spring but also importing new bloodlines another case of a smaller regional zoo being very progressive in our region!

Jambo, Kifaru Bwana, Tafin and 2 others like this.
  12. steveroberts

You're absolutely right, a big cheer for Altina for taking up the mantle and making a home for all the Maned Wolves left in Aus aswell as importing new unrelated M-Wolves and the many births they have had. Without Altina like you said the Maned Wolves would of become another wonderful animal species lost to our region. I would really love to get down to Altina one day and visit.

Zorro likes this.
  13. Zorro

I would place Altina in the top 3 regional zoos in the country!

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  14. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

What would be the other two? To me mogo and darling downs would be the ones

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  15. Zorro

I agree with you but that said I feel there are a number of other regional zoos that are closing the gap very fast!