Join our zoo community

Manor House Wildlife Park Manor House news

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Nisha, 4 May 2012.

1. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Looking on the website, they don't seem to be holding Przewalskis horses anymore. Does anyone happen to know what happened to the individuals they had? Thank you!

2. Zooreviewsuk

Zooreviewsuk Well-Known Member

They had 2 there last week in with the camels.

TNT likes this.
  3. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

4. trachycarpus

trachycarpus Well-Known Member

Can confirm there are 2 Przewalski's horses at MHZ. Much quieter than Folly Farm Zoo , which I visited day before and enjoyed it much more. More relaxed and hyper kids not bursting forth from amusements. Steve the gibbon and his partner extremely vocal! Monkey islands work very well. Very impressed with red panda enclosure -very large and plenty of vegetation. walk ways give excellent viewing opportunities. Sumatran tigers very visible. Enjoyed coffee / restaurant experience under covered veranda at back of house- very well organised and friendly staff. Excellent quality - Colin ,Anna's ex (?) influence.? Puzzled by article on Anna Ryder Richardson as she is no longer a Director on company register and thought they were divorced!? No longer described as " Anna Welsh Zoo and her face has been painted out of a lot of the notices ! Appreciated numerous benches around zoo which you could relax and watch animals, particularly rhinos. Witnessed rhino charge oryx and toss the poor antelope 10 feet into air! Seemed dazed but recovered, hope no internal damage. Reported incident to member of staff.Only two rhino out , other kept on hard standing. Looking from South American paddock across valley towards enclosures for zebra, tiger and then Przewalski's horses and camels reminded me of Whipsnade Zoo

Jungle Man and britishzoofan like this.
  5. Quincey

Quincey Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Kifaru Bwana, Antoine and Jungle Man like this.
  6. Alwaysevergreen

Alwaysevergreen Well-Known Member

Couldn't see a previous thread for this year.

A trio of Howler Monkeys (1 male, 2 female) have joined the collection from Bristol Zoo. They have an outdoor exhibit without fencing, with walkways between trees. Looks quite impressive and similar to the set up at Banham. They haven't ventured out on it yet, staying in the enclosed area, but its a nice addition to the collection.

7. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Presumably another species being let go from Bristol Zoo before they shortly close. I'll be interested to see what happens to their two(?) remaining elderly Lion-tailed Macaques also...

8. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I don't think I've ever seen Bristol's howlers leave their indoor accommodation, I wonder if it'll be the same story here

9. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Very probably. A change of enclosure is unlikely to change ingrained habits...

Ned likes this.
  10. BluePenguin

BluePenguin New Member

I visited the zoo for the first time since 2017 today to do a tapir experience. We started the day by going straight to the tapir paddock where we got to feed 22 year old Milly and 8 year old Thomas. They share there paddock with 1.2 greater rhea.

The keeper also took us across to see the scimitar horned oryx. They have 4 male Oryx, two were being kept in a smaller paddock as one was injured from fighting with the other oryx. The oryx share the paddock with the white rhinos, burchell's zebra and ostrich (which I didn't see).

There are new enclosures for red pandas and black howler monkeys since my last visit, which are both done very nicely.

Other species seen at the zoo included; Sumatran tigers, Bolivian squirrel monkeys, emu, parma and red necked wallaby, ring-tailed, black and white ruffed and red bellied lemurs, meerkats, visayan warty pigs, Indian peafowl, siamangs, przewalski's horses and bactrian camels.

Llamas and white-faced saki monkeys are signed on the map but not seen.

The following animals are listed on zootierliste but no sign of them in the zoo or map; asian small-clawed otter, african spurred tortoise (may be off show during colder months), helmeted guineafowl, red ruffed lemur, red-fronted lemur and common marmoset. Can anyone confirm if these animals are no longer kept at the zoo?

11. Alwaysevergreen

Alwaysevergreen Well-Known Member

The guineafowl are free roaming, so still have those. The Red Fronted Lemur left a while ago. Common Marmosets should be on the island with the smaller monkeys, Tortoises are in the farm area, near the goats and sheep. Not sure on Red Ruffed Lemur, they used to be in the walkthrough but think it may be just the three species now.
    Can't remember ever seeing otters at Manor.

Kalaw and BluePenguin like this.
  12. James Barber

James Barber Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The Otters used to be kept in the walled garden area but I guess they no longer keep them.

Does anyone actually know if Manor House plan to restore the old walled gardens again for public use or is it just staying off-show? There were plans a good few years ago to restore it again but I guess nothing became of it which is a shame.

During my visits in the 90s, I sadly can't remember the old reptile or tropical houses but remember the old Siamang cage, the model railway and childrens rides and go-karts etc.

It would be interesting to know what the next masterplans are for Manor House.