Join our zoo community

Map Zoos of the World

Discussion in 'Websites about Zoos & Animal Conservation' started by Trebaruna, 6 Jan 2019.

1. Trebaruna

Trebaruna Well-Known Member

You might remember my Okapi-map-project: Map Captive Okapi
    Along the same line I was working on a bigger map before even starting with the okapi map. A map with all the zoos of the world. “Zoo” might be an overstatement since I also include roadside restaurants with a bear in a cage and children’s zoos with a raccoon.

The zoos of the world map: Zoos of the World - Google My Maps

It started with the fact that I once made several similar maps about the Benelux, the Iberian peninsula and regions wherever I would travel. Just to have a clear overview of the present animal parks. At some point I joined them all in 1 big map and kept adding countries bit by bit and it got a bit out of hand.

Finished are:
    North America (incl. Mexico)
    Europe (incl. Russia)
    Africa
    Palestine & Israel
    Australia & New Zealand

Missing for the most part are Asia (incl. the middle east) and South America, with the exception of Taiwan, Ecuador and Argentina. I have recently started with Iran and Pakistan. So far they are incomplete. (it’s a work in progress… eternal progress I think ;) )

To create some order in the chaos of “parks” I used the 10 layers (which is the maximum) and different colours and icons to make it more organised and more user-friendly. You can switch the layers on and off to create your preferred overview. If for instance you only want to see the safari parks you untick all the boxes except the box of the safari park-layer. To explain my “system” a bit better I made this overview which I hope becomes intuitive to you all quickly.:
    [​IMG]

For a bigger version of this check out the document on my flickr account: Oops! | Flickr

You will see that the bottom Layer with closed zoos and parks of unknown status is a bit messy. First of all I didn’t make this map to include closed parks, since they don’t interest me ;) So I only included them whenever I came across a clear list that I could quickly incorporate. Therefore some countries have a lot of closed parks, other countries have none ;)
    If anyone has information about a park that is marked as “unknown status”: I’d be very grateful. Mostly these are parks in faraway places in the midst of Africa and Russia with only ancient information on the net making it unclear whether the parks still exist. (A contact email address is mentioned with the map.)

Enjoy

Last edited by a moderator: 9 Jan 2019
  2. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

This is fantastic!

In the country in which I have the greatest personal interest, Tanzania, I have already found one zoo about which I was previously ignorant - this place:Cheetah’s Rock, Zanzibar - A Once in a (Wild-) Lifetime Experience |, in Zanzibar. It charges $160 per person to visit. This in a country where the average income is about $950 per annum. A zoo in Switzerland charging a similar, proportionate, amount would be asking visitors to stump up about $10,000 a visit. Blimey!

3. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

For Japan, JAZA actually have a map on it for most of them and you can add it in.
    Some time ago I post a map of a part of Chinese zoo/aquarium here. Feel free to check it out.

BTW Great stuff! I believe that's such a hard task!

Last edited: 6 Jan 2019
  4. Black Footed Beast

Black Footed Beast Well-Known Member 5+ year member

This is very good, but Serpent Safari is no longer in Gurnee, leaving that area pretty much empty, on the other hand there is Lambs Farm, a place that I believe has camels, also in Lake Geneva there is a safari park refered to as Safari Lake Geneva

5. TheEthiopianWolf03

TheEthiopianWolf03 Well-Known Member

The Addis Ababa zoo is going through a renovation but it is not following the Leipzig plan as of now.

Oakland doesn't have blue eyed lemurs or Dama gazelle anymore.

Last edited: 6 Jan 2019
  6. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

Very impressive! A number of us have been working on similar maps for some time but I've never seen a google map put together in such detail. Great work!

TNT likes this.
  7. Trebaruna

Trebaruna Well-Known Member

Thanks for the nice response!

It's true that sometimes i put some species in the description box to give an idea of the collection. I did this in the USA, israel, Taiwan, and some others i think. But that was way to labour-intensive and obviously it's very prone to become outdated quickly. So don't put too much much value on that. I'm sure a lot that is already outdated. I suppose at some point I'll delete all that. For the moment I'll leave it. Just see it as an indication of the "level" the collection will have, but don't count on seeing all those species if you go to visit a park ;)

Thanks Aardvark! Once i start those countries/areas i'll keep it in mind and have a look! Much appreciated! (I add countries one by one. Otherwise it gets pretty chaotic for me ;) )

Thanks BFBeast. I've move the serpent safari to the closed parks section and i've added the other two. Thanks for the help!

Ethiopean wolf; Are they still building (or is it rebuilding?) the zoo in the peacock park, but simply following a different plan? Or do you mean they abandoned that idea completely and now they are they converting the lion zoo?

8. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

I would be more than happy to help you make the South American map a little more complete by creating a map for Brazilian zoos.

9. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This is a huge undertaking - thank you! I have already bookmarked it.

Some notes from my state of Arizona (USA). In Scottsdale you have Dolphinaris which is now closed. However in the same plaza are two other animal attractions you do not have: Butterfly Wonderland and Odysea Aquarium.

10. zooman

zooman Well-Known Member 15+ year member

11. PossumRoach

PossumRoach Well-Known Member 5+ year member

For turkey yo can add the three eaza members in Bursa, Izmir, and Darica