Join our zoo community

March Photo Showcasing

Discussion in 'Animal Photography' started by Julio C Castro, 3 Mar 2020.

1. Julio C Castro

Julio C Castro Well-Known Member Premium Member

https://www.zoochat.com/community/media/albums/march-photo-showcasing.27/

Just in case anyone is new to the thread, here are some guidelines:
    1. 4 entries per month.
    2. They can upload photos that can be found in the regular gallery if they’d like to.
    3. Photos don’t have to necessarily have to be from the month aforementioned in the title although it can take some time to develop photos.
    4. It must be photos we consider our best work meaning not blurry or potentially boring such as an animal butt as said before.
    5. To have the photos be of different subjects per month although they can be of the same subject the following month as long as all the entries for the month aren’t of the same one. Example such as 4 entries of the same big cat or pachyderm won’t be taken into consideration but you can enter the same photo of the big cat or pachyderm the following month along with 3 other different subjects.
    6. Photos aren’t strictly limited to zoological gardens. They can be from sanctuaries, aquariums, nature reserves.
    7. Do try your best to add where they were taken either in the description or by adding tags.

Hopefully everyone has fun and shows off their talents, will be heading out to the early preview night for Butterfly Jungle at the SDZSP later this month and may also hit up the Aquarium of the Pacific this week :)

betsy likes this.
  2. Julio C Castro

@Arizona Docent just made it and added the guidelines so newcomers know what is going on, btw we saw an increase of photo entries from last month by almost 20% which is about 5 photos so that’s a plus :)

betsy and Arizona Docent like this.
  3. RetiredToTheZoo

RetiredToTheZoo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Thank you for doing this. I encourage you to keep this going on into April and beyond as we all go thru this worldwide pandemic. As most zoos seem to be temporarily closed and we are all trying to isolate ourselves the best we can, very few will be able to get new photographs. I'm sure though there are several here that have excellent photos in their files from past visits they could upload for all to enjoy, possibly even taken in the month of April of prior years. I have learned so much about my own photographic skills and what I need to improve by viewing the best from all the very talented photographers here. I encourage everyone to participate. Thank you once again!

4. Julio C Castro

That’s so awesome to hear! I want to continue it of course, there have been new photographers whose work I’ve loved come about recently in the posts. That’s a great idea btw, looking into our back log to see what other photos we have saved that may have not been uploaded or to maybe even re-upload to this next showcase, I’ve mentioned before that they don’t have to be of the current month necessarily but this could help with many of our usual spots to photograph are closed. These next couple months will be a bit rough with how you mentioned many zoos and also aquariums being closed off, with some claiming to open in early April if conditions don’t worsen. If it all goes as planned, I would love to go back to San Diego to visit both the zoo and safari park as I had done before :) I’m very happy there are those of us who come from different backgrounds, skill sets, gear set ups to show off our incredible work :p