Join our zoo community

Marineland Canada Marineland Canada News

Discussion in 'Canada' started by snowleopard, 18 Oct 2012.

1. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

2. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

According to some articles on the net, none I'd bother posting the link to because they arent real newspapers, 2 more young belugas died during the off season. Charlotte, 3, and Luna, 1, died late in 2012 and sometime in 2013. No specifics were mentioned about the deaths and the 3 articles I found all said Marineland hadnt confirmed the deaths. But lets face facts this place is a death trap for the poor animals trapped there. I love zoos and all they stand for but Marineland is an exception. Theres just too many horrific reports out there. I'm appaulled no one has done anything yet to help the animals there. Not the CAZA, not the humane society, not the government. Were there is smoke there is fire and this is more than smoke. Bodies are piling up at an alarming rate, and thats just the whales they bother telling us about. What about all the other animals trapped there? Who knows the death tolls on the deer, elk, bears, seals, sea lions, dolphins, walruses? As an animal lover all this makes me so sad.

3. wensleydale

wensleydale Well-Known Member

I'm not terribly fond of linking the AwesomeOcean even though I like the site (I try to keep from linking to sites that might have an ulterior motive, regardless of what direction they sway in) however I found this article detailing a recent retraction of an article regarding Kiska the Killer Whale. Apparently Digital Journal was threatened with a lawsuit over said article. They did a due diligence on the article and subsequently fired the author, who appeared to live to slander institutions that keep cetaceans (my opinion). But don't take my word for it.

Activist's Whale of a Tale Lands Publication in Court

The statement of retraction: Statement of Retraction - Marineland of Canada

Please don't interpret any of this as my unconditionally supporting MarineLand, because I don't.

Last edited: 16 Jan 2015
  4. TZFan

5. wensleydale

I don't like Bob Barker, I don't think he is the expert he thinks he is.

Please don't interpret this as me supporting Marineland unconditionally, because I don't. I would very much like to see Kiska transferred to another facility like SeaWorld, maybe Texas or Florida because they seem to have the most room there right now.

6. TZFan

I wholeheartedly agree with you Wensleydale. I didn't comment on the article because I have a serious hate for ... no, no I refuse to go there with the man who's name I shall never utter again. Yet at the same time I'm seriously concerned about Marineland and am ashamed to say I ever went there (I was a kid, blame my parents). Kiska should go anywhere that she can be with other killer whales... anywhere is better then Marineland.

7. TZFan

8. Newzooboy

Newzooboy Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I'm interested in the history of this place. It seems seriously disliked by the Canadian and other zoochatters.
    I actually visited here in 1980 as an 11 year old (first time I had ever seen a killer whale and also seem to remember an elephant seal (or was it a walrus?) as part of dolphin or sealion show???).
    The non marine zoo part also seemed quite large if fairly uninspiring - they had lions in a fenced enclosure right next door to the deer petting paddock!
    Certainly there were no belugas there at that time, and the marine part amounted to just the grandstand/ show pool (with off-show holding for the various species in the show).
    At that time, there were quite a few Marinelands dotted around, and there were still dolphins and one or two orcas even in the UK (my second (and last) killer whale sighting was on Clacton Pier of all places!! which made Marineland look like the Georgia Aquarium!!).
    How things have changed!! (for the better).

9. TZFan

I think you would have seen a walrus not an elephant seal at that time but I wasn't alive yet so I couldn't be sure. I never knew they had lions.

I don't know much about the history of the place but I would definitely fall into the seriously dislike category for Marineland. There is just too many upsetting stories and unexplained deaths there that make me seriously question the place. I'm sorry to say I have ever been there however its safe to say I will never go again.

10. veeboy31

veeboy31 Well-Known Member

Went to Marineland today (28.8.15) and firstly I would like to apologise for giving this zoo money to continue in its endeavours. I was very upset to see the 15 black bears shoved together in one small space. Then to see them all fighting for sugary snacks in filthy water was just a sheer shock to see. My local zoo The Yorkshire Wildlife Park (England) prides itself on conservation and welfare on animals and giving polar bears and other animals acres of space to roam. I asked numerous staff about conservation and they didn't have a clue. I was shocked about the beluga whales. They don't have a breeding programme to promote conservation- they just let the whales get on with it and see what happens. I will not be promoting this zoo and I shall speak to Yorkshire wildlife park to see if they can save any of these bears.

11. wensleydale

Some lawsuit and investigation related news.

First, I don't want to write too much here because I will just get angry and embarrass myself but an animal rights activist is being sued by the park over a film he made. Marineland is basing its lawsuit over copyright law:

Marineland sues Black Water filmmaker over video secretly shot by seasonal employee | National Post

Also, a recent investigation over the Belugas by the OSPCA has been dismissed. Some of the allegations were frankly outrageous, even for marineland. I'll let you all read them:

OSPCA closes latest investigation into Marineland

And now for my usual disclaimer: Please don't interpret this as my unconditionally supporting marineland (or anyone for that matter) because I don't.

Last edited: 1 Jun 2016
  12. TZFan

13. wensleydale

Who on Earth knows, its Marineland? And ar activists. May a more competent management soon take over

Please don't interpret this as my unconditionally supporting marineland, because I don't.

14. TZFan

15. TZFan

16. TZFan

17. TZFan

18. TZFan

19. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Marineland owner and founder John Holer has passed away. What this means for the park, only time will tell.

20. TZFan

Walrus, Apollo, died in April leaving female Smooshi as their only walrus.

Also opening day saw some kind of stampede with the deer and two of the animals were killed. Details seem sketchy about what happened.

Marineland confirms walrus death, two deer killed in opening day stampede

Niagara police say stampede at Marineland that killed 2 deer has not been reported

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hami...ter-park-claims-men-caused-stampede-1.5143064

One of the belugas has needed surgery.

7 Belugas may move to Spain while 5 more may head to the US.

Beluga surgery at Marineland an international effort