Join our zoo community

The Maritime Aquarium Maritime Aquarium Review

Discussion in 'United States' started by CuseZoofan, 9 May 2017.

1. CuseZoofan

CuseZoofan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

My wife and I took a vacation to Connecticut recently and we decided to check out the Maritime Aquarium in Norwalk. For a smaller Aquarium it was quite nice and well done. And your admission also includes a free IMAX Movie which is somewhat rare nowadays.
    After entering the Aquarium you pass a long hall that has a gift shop and cafe and enter Newmans Own Hall which has a large interactive wall where you can create a sea creature and the zoos well known Harbor Seals. The exhibit is quite nice and is both indoors and outdoors and they have three feedings daily.
    The ray and shark touch Tank was very nice and the rays seemed very willing to be pet and touched often coming up the sides to people. Other small exhibits in the area contained different jelly fish include a moon jelly touch tank, a sustainable fishing exhibit home to Cod and other fish we eat, and an exhibit of meerkats and different "dragons" including a large Black Asian Water Monitor. There was s also an upstairs frog exhibit.
    The main exhibit is the Sound to the Sea galleries showing what happens from salt marshes to the Ocean. Most exhibits are small and all contain local species. Highlights include a nice touch Tank, a massive American Lobster, a smallish all indoor River Otter Exhibit and a large open water Exhibit home to Red Drum, Southern Stingrays, Queen Triggerfish and other local fish including 7 large Sand Tiger Sharks, this area also was very relaxing and featured a nice area to sit and watch.
    Overall the Aquarium was nice and well done but seemed to lack a significant number of exhibits in the Sound Hall which is supposed to be the main exhibit, also the River Otters had a fairly small exhibit. I would probably visit again but only if something new were too be added, but definitely worth at least one visit.