Join our zoo community

Marwell Wildlife Marwell Zoo News 2013

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Nisha, 10 Jan 2013.

1. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think we are at the point at which Marwell is actually getting onto firmer ground and new track. The various arrivals lately and new Arabian oryx calf seem to have sorted out the place somewhat.

I would say the black wildebeest are actually quite a difficult species to cope with ... and yes it is better for that a larger group exists in one place than pair-wise in two ...

2. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

What you have to realise is that Marwell is run by different people now, with different ideas, the Marwell of old is long gone and won`t return simply because John Knowles is no longer there. It has changed its focus and has changed what species it wants to keep in the future. The Wildebeest arrived before the change of direction in terms of species they want to keep.

3. Kifaru Bwana

I have not ..., I know the times of John Knowles and how he ran the collection or planned for new breeding projects are more than well gone.

For that particular reason it makes no sense to claw back to the past .. I choose to let me be surprised what the future holds ...

4. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

The Newquay animals are kept in a mixed exhibit, with zebra, and others. If Marwell were interested in keeping a diverse collection, I am sure they could have mixed the wildebeest with other species - perhaps in that large valley enclosure. It might have been tricky, but it would not have been impossible.

5. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yes, I've seen them at Newquay too though they weren't mixed with the Zebra at the time. Presumably they are/can be nowadays?

The only thing I can think is they couldn't be bothered with them really at Marwell. They seemed to breed freely at both Marwell and Newquay in the single pairs, so failure to breed is not the reason. But I do think forming a single group at Newquay is better for them socially, certainly.

6. JamesB

JamesB Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They are mixed with zebra, waterbuck and nyala at Newquay. I didn't see any interaction between them on my visit in the summer so I'm assuming they mixed quite well.

7. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Baby boom continues

Remember that male Pygmy Hippo from the start of this thread who was loaned to Marwell from Bristol during the first half of 2013? ;) Well it appears his visit was a success... 0.1 Pygmy Hippo was born 13th December
    Marwell Wildlife Pygmy Hippo naming Competition

8. Kifaru Bwana

Welcome news!

Having said that a male would have been a 10 whammy!
    (given the paucity of male pygmy hippo in Europe and beyond)

9. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

Yes, "Wendy" has produced all female surviving calves, only one male was ever born which did not survive.

10. Bele

Bele Well-Known Member 15+ year member

An e-newsletter reports the birth of a third Somali wild ass foal for 2013 on 8th December . The father of the recent male Arabian oryx calf is apparently genetically very important .

11. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Very good news indeed :) this hopefully bodes well for the future genepool.

Another Somali foal is also excellent news, naturally.

12. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I wonder if that means they will import some more females- I believe they currently only have two?- in order to provide more breeding opportunity and also secure the group a bit more?

13. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

Yes, the Somali Wild Ass is one of the most important species at Marwell, though often over-looked by some, they are the most successful UK zoo holding this species to date. Female "Possa" is largely responsible, she has been the most productive and reliable animal in the group, though she is now getting on in years. Her daughters continue that success and to breed well.

14. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

The Bristol Zoo`s elderly male "Nato" has at last been productive, after his visit to Marwell on loan, he is genetically an important animal.Therefore this new calf is a welcome addition to the EEP despite it being another female! He was previously paired with "Wendys" daughter at Bristol but failed to breed there hence his temporary move to Marwell earlier in the year.

15. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member