Join our zoo community

Marwell Wildlife Marwell Zoo News 2014

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by mhale, 1 Feb 2014.

1. Charliemarwell

Charliemarwell Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Visited today and just had a couple of questions to ask.
    Can anyone name all the giraffes who currently are at marwell
    Can anyone give me imformation on the tigers- names,ages where there E.g from that all be great many thanks

2. Jordan-Jaguar97

Jordan-Jaguar97 Well-Known Member

I'll help you with the tigers. Marwell currently has two Amur tigers, a male called Bagai and a female called Milia. Bagai was born at Cologne on 02/06/13 to Hanya and Altai (The male born at Howletts to one of Marwell's old pair's cubs, Nika), Bagai arrived 11/12/13. Milia, was born 17/07/09 at Zoo Zlin, her background is a little unclear, however, she has a brother at Highland Wildlife Park (Marty). Milia was born on 17/07/09.

I hope this helps. :)

3. Charliemarwell

Charliemarwell Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It dose thank you!

4. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Milia? This must be a new name for Tera I guess. The Amur tiger litter in Zlin in 2009 had 3 cubs. Marty, Alex and Tera.

5. Jordan-Jaguar97

Yes, that is her. She arrived in September 2012 in the same shipment that Blackpool's female did. Do you know who her parents are by any chance?

6. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Tera´s parents are Xeron and Tanja. Xeron was born in Prague in 1998, and lived in Ostrava since 1999, then went to Zlin in 2008 and a year later back to Prague. Tanja was born in 2004 in Tscheljabinsk (Russia).

7. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The current Giraffes are a mixture of hybrid and pure females. They are..

Hybrids:
    Isabella
    Tiah
    Christa
    Olympia
    ?
    Kwame - castrated male

Pure Rothschild:
    Jade - b2009 at Arnhem
    Irsula - b2008 at Woburn
    Matilda - b? at Marwell
    Nsia - b? at Marwell
    Ruby - b2012 at Marwell (sired by Casper at Woburn)

8. mhale

mhale Well-Known Member

To fill in the blanks, the current giraffes are as follows:

Hybrids:
    Isabella - b.2002 at Marwell
    Makeda - b.2005 at Marwell
    Christa - b.2008 at Marwell
    Tiye - b.2008 at Marwell
    Kwame - castrated male b.2009 at Marwell
    Olympia - b.2012 at Marwell

Pure Rothschild:
    Matilda - b.1997 at Marwell
    Irsulah - b.2008 at Woburn
    Jade - b.2009 at Arnhem
    Nsia - b.2010 at Marwell
    Ruby - b.2012 at Marwell (sired by Casper at Woburn)

9. SnowCat

SnowCat Well-Known Member

Sadly from post 231, male fossa was PTS. Staff tried to mix the pair but the male wasn't show any interest. A new male will arrive in the new year.

Snow Leopards; female to Highland - awaiting enclosure to be built and male is now not going to France as the female at that collection sadly died and it is not know if they still want him or not. Unless there is a sharp decline in snow leopards in collections, Marwells Snow Leopards will not breed again.

Amur Tigers have changed sides in their enclosure, they are looking at an attempt to breed in the coming months.

10. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

One final piece of Marwell 'news' for 2014. Pipaluk has finally done what he's been threatening to do for 3 years - I have failed to renew my annual pass!
    I have great affection for Marwell, but have become more & more bewildered by the reduction in the mammal collection over the last 5 years.
    I used to visit 4 or 5 Times a year at least, as my daughter went to Oryx club several times (one thing I can only praise Marwell for!), despite living a 2 hour ( at best) drive away. In 2014 I made just one visit, whilst visiting Colchester 6 Times with my Marwell pass. I will now become the proud owner of a Colchester pass, which is considerably cheaper and they are more deserving of my money!
    I really hope Marwell improves again, I will find out when I visit in the summer whether there are any signs of a revival. The Takin will be gone and maybe more, but I hope for once there might be something new!!

11. WookieDog

WookieDog Active Member

Quick correction:- Bagai came from Wuppertal and was born in 2012- he wasn't 6 months old when he left his mother!

12. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

If there is anything noteworthy you will probably see it posted on here beforehand.;)

13. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I really hope there will be some good news on the Marwell 2015 thread. In recent years every time I see a new post, I almost dread looking at it! It shouldn't have been titled news, 'What's left Marwell this year' would have been more appropriate or 'Latest Bad News from Marwell'!

14. Jordan-Jaguar97

Apologises, I did indeed get the birth place mixed up! The date of birth was a typo. :)

15. Pertinax

They have been quietly sinking for several years now it seems. Loss of species, loss of direction rather. They do need some positive news for a change.

16. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

I'd be interested to know what the people who work there think of the direction in which the zoo has been taken over the past decade, whether they share the view held by many here that it has sunk into a mire of mediocrity, or whether they see the changes that have been seen as being, if not necessarily desirable, then possibly necessary in order for the place to survive, financially.

Certainly, at the turn of the century there was a real need for investment, and many of the zoo's animals were housed in pretty basic accommodation. Thus, the current rather expensive development to rehouse zebra, oryx and rhino may not excite many zoo nerds, but possibly this had to be done and, to afford its being done, the takin and the wildebeest and so on needed to be sacrificed.....

All of that said, I have long lost faith in the place, finding its recent direction baffling, depressing and disheartening.

17. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

Well, you know what I think Sooty !! But enough said already......

18. Pertinax

Many of those stable blocks are now 45 years old and have done good service. Its very possible some badly need replacing. The rhino building was IMO, like some of the other secondary development that followed the initial phase, of an adequate standard rather than good. What they are doing now seems along similar lines to what they did for the Giraffe and Congo Buffalo/Bongo.

19. okapis

okapis Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Keep DREAMING,time to wake up to reality.

20. Pertinax

Please elaborate.