Join our zoo community

Marwell Wildlife Marwell Zoo News 2019

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Zooreviewsuk, 2 Jan 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zooreviewsuk

Zooreviewsuk Well-Known Member

Does anyone know how long the platform walkway where you get a better view of the Leopards and Zebra has been closed and is it permanent?

2. okapis

okapis Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Its been closed for some time,as its not safe anymore,and do not think it will be reopened,At some stage the zoo will either have to rebuild the enclosure by going out the back into the paddock behind,or build a new enclosure elsewhere,the male leopard is now quite old,and I dont think the pair will breed again.

3. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

Why would the enclosure need to be rebuilt though? It would be a shame if raised viewing were no longer possible, but is there a problem with the basic leopard enclosure? It's not that old, is it?

pipaluk likes this.
  4. Zooreviewsuk

Spoke to a keeper and they said, that a part of the platform is unsafe and needs repairing and was highlighted at their last inspection. It will be done when the weather is better, and the closure is temporary and it should be reopened by the summer.

Was my first ever visit to Marwell and I must say I really enjoyed it, was expecting it to be bad having read many things on here, but I have to admit it has been one of my favourite places to visit. It's like another Whipsnade with amazing exhibits and a good range of animals.

Will post something longer later, as few things to report, but thoroughly enjoyable day for me. I've seen people say it's not as good as the Cotswolds or it's like Paignton and so on. Far from it in my eyes. Better than CWP in my eyes, and nowhere near as depressing as Paignton even allowing for some empty exhibits.

5. Benosaurus

Benosaurus Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'm surprised to read someone call Paignton a depressing zoo. I've always thought of it as being a very good zoo. It's going through a 'depressing' time at the moment with the worries about TB, maybe I'm wrong but I don't think you'd notice that during a visit.

Brum and pipaluk like this.
  6. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Marwell isn't a patch on Whipsnade currently! 20years ago maybe, but it has declined badly over the last 10 years in particular.
    It is certainly not better than Cotswold imo and not less depressing than Paignton if you realise what Marwell was once!!

Last edited: 2 Jan 2019
    Terry Thomas likes this.
  7. Zooreviewsuk

But is it fair to judge something on what it once was ?

Marwell has a lot of very decent sized exhibits, all the animals are visible, volunteers and keepers are friendly. There is plenty of good signage. It's a good place for photography and they have a large extensive range of animals, with a couple of plans to redevelop a couple of areas in the next couple of years.

There is a lot more to see and do at Marwell than at the CWP. Plus CWP doesn't have as many what I would say are public drawing animals that Marwell has, and bar the Rhino's doesn't have anywhere near as large exhibits.

It would be like saying Bristol is not the Zoo it was, because it doesn't have the big named animals it once had.

I personally reckon if you sent a family to Marwell and then CWP, they would come back saying Marwell is a better day out.

8. pipaluk

I think they'd certainly prefer Whipsnade though, it's way better than Marwell
    Marwell has plenty of space, it doesn't have the excuse Bristol does for losing all the species it has!

9. Zooreviewsuk

It may not have the big draw animals of Whipsnade, but my comparison was meaning in the way the park is set up, and size of exhibits.
    I know a few people who don't enjoy Whipsnade because ideally families need to go round in a car, because kids dont want to walk long distances and get bored easy, but to take the car in is too expensive a day out.

10. okapis

okapis Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The enclosure was opened about 15 years ago,but right from the start when a leopard got out,there have been problems with the enclosure,some to do with the tree and shrub roots which grow through and outside the area.I understood the walkway would be closed for good,but all of it will need to be replaced.

11. pipaluk

The 'uneducated' families probably quite enjoy the 2nd rate zoo Marwell has become, most may have not seen better but for families Colchester is much better now! 30 years ago Colchester was very poor compared to Marwell, now its not even a contest for the general visitor. As a zoonerd, I could comfortably find 10 zoos more worth visiting this is just my opinion, but Marwell COULD be a top 5 zoo again, but not under current management!

12. Zooreviewsuk

It's all about opinions, personally I enjoyed my day there. I love animals, love zoo's and like to see Zoo's with proper big exhibits (Much why I don't enjoy London at all).
    You're judging a collection on species it once held, rather than what they are doing with the ones they have.
    I personally enjoy Colchester (Except for getting lost every time I go there), but at £65 for a family for 4 ticket to Marwell compared to say London where it would be the same if you book online, but £95 on the day! I would go to Marwell every time. There is plenty for kids to do there, and whilst I appreciate that may not be something that concerns you, I would imagine Marwell amongst most Zoo's are trying to aim the product at families, rather than Zoo Nerds.

13. pipaluk

You are of course correct with this statement.
    Personally I would currently rate Paignton, Cotswold, Colchester and Whipsnade better than what Marwell has turned into.. Not saying it couldn't improve though

Last edited by a moderator: 3 Jan 2019
  14. Zooreviewsuk

Surprised by that to be honest.

I was so underwhelmed by Paignton. I really enjoyed the keeper for a day there and the keepers were great and it was fun. But I have been twice recently to look round, and it feels so empty and everything is ones and twos. I understand Paignton has it's issues due to the TB outbreak, but I personally if I didn't have a Edinburgh Zoo pass, wouldn't pay £22 to go there.

15. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

No comment on Marwell - I think enough has been said about its possible decline - but I’m intrigued by this comment, which seems to imply that size is the most important factor. This might be seen as a rather naive point of view. If you’re criticising London for the space it dedicates to different species, which species do you have in mind? There seems to be so much for which one could criticise the place; the size of its exhibits would be the very least of my concerns with the place.

Brum, Zia and pipaluk like this.
  16. Zooreviewsuk

Well personally I don't think the Pygmy Hippo's have a good exhibit (outdoor), the Okapi exhibit isn't great in my opinion either (it's okay size wise, but it's very boring for them). I also think there is a lot of wasted exhibits at London.

Size is not THE most important factor, but it is an important factor in my eyes. I sometimes wonder when reading a lot of posts about people wanting to see x y and z, if they would rather we were still in an era of Menageries rather than more places being Wildlife Parks (rather than a zoo) with large exhibits which replicate an animals natural habitat.

17. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Ultimately, it's personal opinion but I think Marwell has less to see and do -it's lacking a decent reptile house, interesting bird collection, and a few inverts (it also lacks the charm and beauty of CWP's walled garden and general horticulture). I also think there's a chance that Joe Public might think Marwell lacks variety (the "it's just deer and horses really" patronisation). That's not to say Marwell doesn't have it's charms, I just I don't think it trumps CWP.

pipaluk and Zia like this.
  18. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

I'm genuinely shocked anyone could think Marwell is comparable to Whipsnade.

robking1991, Maguari and pipaluk like this.
  19. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

... and I second this view also.

pipaluk likes this.
  20. Zooreviewsuk

I agree Marwell needs a reptile house, but birds however there are plenty in the Tropical House, then there are 2 decent walkthrough Aviary's and also a Hornbill walkthrough.
    There are also some birds around by the house as well, so whilst I would say it's bird range isn't huge, it is a lot better than most places these days.
    I do like the Walled Garden at CWP and it's old fashioned feel, but I certainly wouldn't call Marwell just deer and horses!

3 of the 5 species of big cats
    1 species of small cat (this is where it's lacking imo)
    A nice tropical house
    A decent Africa exhibit
    A nice South American section
    Tree Tops is also good
    Loved the Yellow Mongoose exhibit!

I don't think Marwell lacks variety, but it could do with a few of the empty exhibits being filled.

The massive Africa paddock with the water hole (which only seems to have ducks now) would be a cracking exhibit for Elephants in my opinion to really complete the Africa section.

The old Monkey exhibit by the new Red Panda's could be used for a small cat of some sort.

Hopefully the old Macaque's exhibit will get a new use.

Servals and Bat Eared Fox exhibits could house new small cats.

The empty round pit by the Tropical house (maybe once housed Meerkats by the looks of it or something like that) could be great for Prairie Marmots or something like that.

The South American Waters and Wetlands is being revamped this year and according to keepers will have new sizeable exhibits for Giant Anteater, Tapir, Capybara, Flamingo's. Pygmy Hippos and hopefully Giant Otters.

I think with a couple of additions it could be pretty much almost there, and I'm pleased the South American exhibits are being done now, as for me this was the one area that needed modernising for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.