Join our zoo community

Marwell Wildlife Marwell Zoo News 2019

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Zooreviewsuk, 2 Jan 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I saw a single Chapman's stallion at Whipsnade on more than one occassion before I discovered he was the original Marwell one, now retired from their group. Even into his thirties this male was still in top condition.

2. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Further to my earlier comment about the long lived ex-Marwell Chapman's zebra, it might be of interest that the two long-lived Grevy's zebras listed in Weigl's book are both Marwell animals:-

(1) wild born female that arrived Hannover, 25th September 1964, was received by Marwell on 11th December 1969, where she died on 2nd January 1995 at the estimated age of thirty-one

(2) female born Busch Gardens, Tampa on 5th June 1968, was received by Marwell on 8th December 1969, where she died on 25th June 1998 at the age of thirty.

Kifaru Bwana, Pertinax and pipaluk like this.
  3. trachycarpus

trachycarpus Well-Known Member

Few snippets from Marwell:
    1/ In the tropical house the white napped pheasant pigeon are nesting.
    2/ Also in the tropical the Javan chevrotain have a fawn . The mother is keeping it off display at the moment.
    3/ They seem to have overcome the issue of bannana moth which affected/killed a lot of their trees in the tropical house.
    4/Cheetah walkway still closed but a lot of barriers around whole area have been repaired.
    5/ What is happening to old tropical house? It is now closed.

Last edited: 4 Feb 2019
    Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  4. Dormitator

Dormitator Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Not a clue, last time I was in there they'd taken some plants out for the new house, but there were still plenty of plants around, and species on site which haven't been migrated else where. I really hope they revamp it and open it as a pure invertebrate house...

5. okapis

okapis Well-Known Member 5+ year member

In the tropical house two chevrotain were born one has since died.A male Marabou Stork has arrived,also a male Crowned Lemur,a female Hartmann Zebra has died leaving three females,there are no plans at the moment to reopen the old tropical house.

6. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

From facebook
    Giant anteater Ernesto, born 5 July 2004, will be leaving us on 22 February.
    He will be starting a new chapter, and joining Ursula and Ares, at Szeged Zoo in Hungary as part of the European Ex situ breeding Programme (EEP).

7. okapis

He was always going to leave as the area will be used for the new Wetlands.Only one Waterbuck left at Marwell now a species that has been there for over forty years but not for a lot longer.

8. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I really wish I hadn't bothered to look at anything in the Marwell thread, nothing is ever good news,

9. okapis

Last year Marwell bred 10 mammals,15 years ago they had 274 mammals births,thats more than the total number of mammals now.

Chlidonias likes this.
  10. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Sorry, I should have known better :D It took my mind off WAMS and Bili for a few minutes.

Brum likes this.
  11. Pertinax

Very sad... Its closer to fifty years I think...

12. pipaluk

Unbelievable ! The decline of this zoo has not been exaggerated clearly!

13. okapis

You may be right 3 collard peccary left now again will go,in 1997 had a group of 38 ,must have been the biggest group in UK ever.

14. pipaluk

Do you have any good news? Probably no need to answer!!

15. okapis

Yes the Lego Dinosaurs are coming lot simpler to look after,and a lot cheaper to feed.

16. pipaluk

No comment necessary really, I despair ! I didn't bother visiting in 2018 for first time in over a decade, I may not bother for another decade !!

17. Pertinax

Original groups of Waterbuck and S.H. Oryx arrived circa 1970/1. I remember seeing the big Peccary group- fairly unique though (I think it was) Flamingo Park who had a similarly large group at one time.

Last edited: 16 Feb 2019
  18. greeneagle

greeneagle Member

Went to Marwell on Thursday. Couldn't get into the hippo house at any point in the day and the tapir was in with the capybara, guess that's all wetlands related? Are any new species rumoured for that or is it just for the species they already have?
    Are there any future plans to improve the area around the wallabies, reuse the macaque island etc? Seems a real wasted area now. One bit of good news I guess is a keeper said there is a new red panda male coming in the next few weeks and they will both go into the new exhibit with a view to breed.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  19. okapis

I dont think there will be work on the wetlands area till later in the year after the dinosaurs have left,there may be one or two new species,but its early days,the macaque area will not have animals on again,and yes Red Panda in the old Coati area,with the old area left empty,Fact every year at Marwell less animal areas.

20. Zooreviewsuk

Zooreviewsuk Well-Known Member

I think Giant Otters are planned for the Wetland Area when it's revamped.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.