Join our zoo community

Marwell Wildlife Marwell animal inventory 2017

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by bongorob, 25 Jan 2018.

1. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Brum and MagpieGoose like this.
  2. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Well that's an interesting/depressing read, especially when looking at the bird and reptile lists. No species of snake and only one species of waterfowl? I know certain members (looking at you @sooty mangabey and @pipaluk )decry the reduction of mammals but only one duck? Really? I'm not as bothered about the reptiles because the tropical house should remedy that but Marwell needs some birds!

3. Fallax

Fallax Well-Known Member 5+ year member

There is 4 species of snake in the list...

4. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Oops; I should have read that more thoroughly! :oops:

In my defence they are in the middle of a list of lizards...

bongorob likes this.
  5. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Species gained in 2017: Asian brown tortoise, crocodile monitor, crested wood partridge, green peafowl, common sharma thrush, white-naped pheasant-pigeon, Nicobar pigeon, superb fruit dove, Sclater's crowned pigeon, common squirrel monkey, pygmy marmoset, cusimanse, blesbok, Kirk's dik-dik.
    Species lost in 2017: Greater rhea, Schalow's turaco, emperor tamarin, western black-and-white colobus, ocelot.

FunkyGibbon and Giant Panda like this.
  6. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Slight improvement which doesn't make up for 10 years of decline! The only reason the mammals made a net gain is because they haven’t got many left to lose! 3 of the 'gains are just 3 returning that were lost over the last few years!
    Species to be lost by February 2018- Fossa and Sulawesi Crested Macaque....... serval next?

Last edited: 25 Jan 2018
    sooty mangabey likes this.
  7. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

I know that Marwell-knocking is not difficult, but what strikes me, looking at this list, is how small some of the groups of animals have now become: visiting Marwell was once an opportunity to see really big groups, of ungulates in particular. Now, lots of relatively small numbers, and lots of single sex groups too.

8. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I remember them having a good pheasant collection, making an important contribution to conservation breeding. They currently have one pheasant, a superannuated Green Peacock from ZSL.

9. okapis

okapis Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The days of large groups of twenty plus antelope like Waterbuck and Nyala are long gone and species like them and Sable and Sitatunga which are all in non breeding groups will go over time.This is the Marwell of today.

10. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Some of these birds are singletons. Also, it would be nice if they could spell 'Shama'.

11. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

The chevrotain should be added to your "species gained" category too.

Incidentally, I particularly like the format of Marwell Zoo's Annual Report; it is very informative, providing details of births, deaths, acquisitions and departures. (I wish the ZSL still produced its annual Animal Inventories in a similar style and supplied the same level of useful detail.)

pipaluk and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  12. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

You're right, Tim.

13. Dormitator

Dormitator Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Nice reading, thanks. Definitely worth acknowledging the success Marwell have had with Partula this year; P. hyalina, P. mooreana and P. taeniata nucleola are considerably up from last year, and P. tohiveana is up a bit as well (though with P. suturalis strigosa down to one individual it's probably on borrowed time).

Kifaru Bwana likes this.