Join our zoo community

Marwell Wildlife Marwell Zoo News 2016

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by MagpieGoose, 10 Jan 2016.

1. Quincey

Quincey Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Another loss for Marwell.

It is with great sadness that we have to announce the passing of Eva, our 16-year-old Humboldt penguin.
    Eva was diagnosed with Aspergillosis, an infection that can affect water birds especially during the colder months. Veterinary teams immediately attempted emergency investigations and treatment but despite their best efforts Eva passed away.
    During her time at Marwell Eva successfully raised five chicks including two males, Lurch and most recently Seaweed, who hatched last year.
    Eva was a very special character at the zoo and her friendly personality made her very popular with her adopters. She will be greatly missed by all those who knew her, especially the animal keepers who cared for her.

2. okapis

okapis Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Another sad loss for Marwell,one of the new female Lesser Kudu has died,along with a female Okapi who was pregnant.

3. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Which one Daphne or Dumela?

4. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Terrible news, especially since there had been more positive news from Marwell recently after years of decline!!

5. okapis

Work should start later this year on the Tropical House,in the Chapmans Zebra Paddock,the aviary at the end with Red Crowned Cranes and Secretary Bird will also come down.Should open sometime in 2018.

6. NMM

NMM Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I have visited for the first time since June last year, which meant the first time I saw Wild Explorers and I have to say I was impressed. I think the concept worked, the viewing platform was good and it is a nice large merged paddock. I think what they have achieved here is what they failed to do with the African Valley.

Speaking of the African valley, have they given up on that idea now? The signs now show the Przewalski's Horses and Bactrian Camels in there, though neither were visible. The Africa signs are still up so they should get rid of them.

There does seem to have been some paddock moves since my last visit. The Waterbuck and Nyala are now in the Przewalski's Horse and Camel's former home. Addax are now where the Nyala used to be in addition to Aridlands. The Sable Antelope have moved from the Giraffe paddock to the one next to the Somali Wild Ass.

One question, are Crowned Lemurs a new species? There were signs for them in World of Lemurs. I couldn't see any and I don't remember them previously.

On the negative side the number of animals still appears to be decreasing. There were fewer Waterbuck and Penguins than I remember and there are still too many empty enclosures. I think the Takin and Dwarf Crocodile enclosures have been added to that list since my last visit.

7. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

Yes the pair of Crowned Lemurs are a new species.
    Yes the Takin and Dwarf Croc have now gone, as have the Piranhas. The Black-cheeked Lovebirds and Douroucoulis have also gone.

8. JamesB

JamesB Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Any sign of Lesser Kudu or Roti Island Snake-necked Turtle which both had 'coming soon' signs back in January?

9. NMM

NMM Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The Lesser Kudu are in the paddock on your right as you walk from Into Africa to Heart of Africa. I didn't see them though. I did not know they were mostly nocturnal until I read the sign. I assume they were inside. The Snake-Necked Turtle is in the tank in the tropical house where the Piranhas used to be.

There was also a "coming soon" sign in the Tropical House for Chinese Water Dragons.

10. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Any update on the new Rhino/s mentioned earlier in the thread ?

11. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

I believe a new female is due from Colchester.

12. Embu

Embu Well-Known Member 5+ year member

What is the latest with the Marwell giraffe herd ? Has a male Rothschild been sourced and any plans to move the remaining hybrid females ? Isabella, Makeda & Christa ?

13. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I believe the hybrid females are on contraceptives now. Whether a new male pure-bred Rothschild's (might) be sourced is a totally different matter (and not just up to MW itself).

As for more white rhinos: aside from the Colchester bred female, there is a sufficient supply of young cows now and expect a few more rhinos coming in ... (stay tuned ..)!

Just a short observation: the apparent changes on the Hear of Africa and Into Africa make sense. I suppose bringing the Grevy's zebra back closer to the heart of the zoo and their main paddocks makes MW-zoogeographic-wise a lot more sense and putting Asian steppe animals onto the - somewhat failed to serve its purpose (apparently ... former) - African valley should make better use of the entire area. It might even be possible to add on a few others .. - perhaps even wild ass (??!!) there.

Lesser kudu are a wonderful addition. I would expect these to be put in with the giraffe or there-abouts eventually. And yes bringing the addax to the desertic area makes good sense too. Perhaps even the Somali wild ass would eventually turn up there .... (and their former area can be worked on for a more southern African theme (with sable antelope et cetera).

Aside, I think the moves and transfer outs from the Tropical House and surrounds seem more to do with the new tropical / rainforest hall to be added in the next 2 years or so than anything misty or fluidy.

All in all, I find these changes more than helpful for a better MW

14. okapis

Yes the Roti Island Turtle are due to go in new Tropical House along species like Crocodile Monitor,Burmese Brown Tortoise,Two Toed Sloth,Golden Lion Tamarin,Agouti and a number of free flying birds including Victoria Crowned Pigeon and Sun Bitten.

15. pipaluk

Better than what though? 2 years ago? Maybe!
    5 or 6 years ago - definitely not!
    10,20 or 30 years ago, no chance!!

The arrival of Lesser Kudu and Crowned Lemur is a step in the right direction, but as usual this only offsets against yet MORE losses! Sorry but those of us disillusioned with Marwell's lack of direction have been told to be patient for long enough! One step forward is always followed by at least one back!

16. okapis

The last 2 male Colobus have gone or are due to go to be replaced by Capuchin,so what happened to Africa.

17. pipaluk

Another piece of bad news, my previous post was clearly justified. This latest development is simply daft!

As for KB 's earlier comments about Marwell becoming more zoogegraphic..........

18. banham.tiger

banham.tiger Well-Known Member

I think it would be so much better if marwell just built an new enclosure for the Capuchin and kept the coloubus.

19. pipaluk

I'm afraid that is far too much like a sens!ible suggestion where Marwell is concerned!

20. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

With capuchins replacing the Colobus they need to think about changing the name of that building now!!