Join our zoo community

Marwell Wildlife Marwell Zoo News 2016

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by MagpieGoose, 10 Jan 2016.

1. okapis

okapis Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Agree with you,and I dont know of any UK zoo with 3 species of Zebra,but its just another species gone from Marwell,and the place looks so empty at times these days.

2. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Madagascan partridges have hatched and rearing 3 chicks

iny handfuls!
    We're delighted to announce that three very tiny Madagascan partridge chicks were hatched October 21st! We're very excited about these little bundles as we are the first zoo in the UK to have successfully parent reared the species. You can find them in their home with the Sun conures at Fur, Feather and Scales - but you'll have to keep your eyes peeled, they are very little!

[​IMG]

-0:26

1.1k Views

3. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

1.0 Pygmy hippo born 2/11

FB Marwell wildlife
    [​IMG]

4. okapis

A male sable antelope non breeding has arrived from Europe to keep the females in check,I think Woburn has only females now ?.Work has started on the new tropical house,should be finished at end of next year,to be opened Easter 18,to allow plants and animals to settle in.

5. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Design plans for the new Tropical Building available?
    What species to be kept or theme (South America, Asia)?

6. okapis

No real theme as such,species like Sloths , Tamarin on islands,birds such as Crowned Pigeons,Sun Bitten,Pygmy Geese,reptiles as Snake Necked Turtle,Crocodile Monitor,also Leaf Cutter Ants,Giant Gourami,but this could change.

7. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Sounds typical of the Marwell of the last few years- a lot of money spent on either existing species or nothing very unusual!! Sorry, I can't get excited about this, they could have added several new species far more cheaply!

robking1991 likes this.
  8. robking1991

robking1991 Member

Only major new species there is the Sloths. As you say, mega money being spent on 'rehoming' current species and making a big media fuss about it e.g. like Wild Explorers.

9. robking1991

robking1991 Member

Casually strolling through reviews on TripAdvisor and came across a comment by an unhappy visitor stating they felt they didn't see much at Marwell etc etc...

However the reply was interesting

Marwell replied stating that there was going to be a brand new 'Lemur Walk-Through' opening in Summer 2017 before the 'Massive new Tropical House' which is 2 stories in height and full of new species to the Park.

For the first time in years these sound like good developments or changes at Marwell; even the reply sounded different!

10. banham.tiger

banham.tiger Well-Known Member

I think they also have a new big cat enclosure planned for 2020 as well. Possibly for lions???

11. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

A White-Faced Saki Monkey was born on the 15th of November to mum 'Mania'

12. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

13. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Anyone know what's happened to the female okapi Dumela? Visiting the zoo and could only see Shomari, Jabari and Daphne (including signs for only these three).

14. pipaluk

A keeper confirmed they are now down to three when I was there a few weeks ago. They held 7 about 5 or 6 years ago, hopefully they're not giving up on okapi as well!

15. ShonenJake13

Ah ok, thanks pipaluk! Do you know if the Schalow's turacos and bearded tits are kept in the aviary with the hamerkops (the one by the coatis and blue cranes)? It's shut due to the bird flu crisis so I can't see if they are there or not.

16. pipaluk

I think the Bearded tits are in the aviary attached to the back of the hall (near the exit from the lemurs.
    I think the turaco are in the walkthrough next to the coati as you thought.

17. ShonenJake13

Where are the mountain zebras?

18. okapis

Mountain Zebras were in the Valley area by the restaurant.

19. ShonenJake13

Visit finished!

Yeah I can see why some aren't huge fans of this zoo. I personally quite enjoyed it, it felt quite Colchester (in that there were a lot of enclosures in a given area) but the added space made it feel less cramped and also reduced the feeling of being crowded (not many people there but enough). Saw three young tigers and two baby leopards who were amazing to watch, also caught up with Daphne (okapi born at London) and was amazed at how big she is now!! Plenty of new species for me; Arabian oryx, addax, sable antelope, mountain zebra, Schalow's turaco and bat-eared fox. Couldn't find some species though (wrinkled hornbill, Ruschenberger's boa etc.) Lots of bird walkthroughs closed of course, and plenty of building work.

Also side note @TeaLovingDave there are still two king colobus at the zoo inside the giraffe house :) the porcupines they formerly shared with have gone to Five Sisters however.

Overall I give the zoo a 4/5.

20. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There certainly aren't any nowadays, and few if any even have two species (Port Lympne?) In the past I think Whipsnade may have had all three at once at one time, they have certainly exhibited all three but whether all at the same time I am not so sure.