Join our zoo community

Marwell Wildlife Marwell Zoo News 2020

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Embu, 22 Jan 2020.

1. Embu

Embu Well-Known Member 5+ year member

0:1 Addax called Amelie arrived from Woburn on a EEP recommendation. She arrived on 2nd January. Any ideas on how many they now hold?

zooboy and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  2. okapis

okapis Well-Known Member 5+ year member

They now hold with the new female 2.5,only a pair of Dorcas Gazelle now,and 1.2. Blesbok.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  3. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Ridiculously small number of dorcas gazelle .... sadly!

TNT and pipaluk like this.
  4. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Sad esp as the group was much larger just ten years ago. Are they phasing them out?

5. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Along with most of the rest of the collection?!

6. zooboy

zooboy Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Why do you say that, unless you know? Antelope have always been important species for Marwell and the place has particular interest in desert antelope; that has not changed. The Dorcas have been down in low numbers for several years and there are a number of reasons why that is the case. I am certain the management will be quite aware of the status of this species and will have plans to either replace or improve their stock if it is the best policy to do so.

7. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

My comment was not specific to the dorcas, just that most of the groups of antelope(and other animals) were either larger or have been phased out in the last 10 years across the collection

8. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I can remember visiting in the 1980-90's era and there were really big herds of certain species- in the 20-30 numbers- Roan and Nyala are two I particularly remember. When Scimitar-horned Oryx first arrived there were at least 20. From their stocklists they are now the largest herd- numbering less than a dozen?

pipaluk likes this.
  9. zooboy

zooboy Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Regarding species of antelopes, which includes the gazelles, the numbers of species have not dramatically changed over the years; currently there are 11, five years ago,10. The maximum was 14 (in the years around, and including, 2010), while looking back: 13 species in 2000, 13 in 1990 and 12 in 1980, and even less in the early years. So not significant. Regarding numbers of each species, then there has been a notable decrease. I too miss seeing the larger groups but there are many reasons why smaller herds are now kept; just one being a policy to allow more animals access into paddocks throughout the year.

10. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Obviously policy changes have been behind the reduction in herd sizes of many of these species. I wasn't suggesting it was necessarily a bad thing either, just pointing out the significant changes that have occurred.

11. okapis

In 2005 there were 28 Dorcas Gazelle,and they have continued to decline ever since,the total number of antelope at Marwell at the end of last year was 62,at the end of 2005 it was208.

Kifaru Bwana, Pertinax and pipaluk like this.
  12. taun

taun Well-Known Member

That is a shocking decline, I must have visited around 2010 when there was over 10 dorcas Gazelle, it was great seeing such a large group of gazelles for the first time.

Kifaru Bwana and pipaluk like this.
  13. Kifaru Bwana

The trend here is in complete contrast to the big open range places in US like Fossil Rim and White Oak and the Wilds were for very good reasons consistent with sustainable management and husbandry of ungulate spp. there is an urgent need to expand and optimise herd Numbers and bring also the big private ranches on board. I do deplore the incomgruent developments here. It Will impact their management well into the future and may even compromise breeding programs in the EAZA network eventually!

RAG, FBBird, Pertinax and 1 other person like this.
  14. scottie31

scottie31 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Marwell have today released some concept images of the proposed ‘Water and Wetlands’ development - before anyone comments the zoo state themselves that the images are very basic at this stage!

link here: Security Check

Max Blundell and JamesB like this.
  15. Embu

Announced on Facebook that very sadly their 2 wrinkled hornbills have passed away due to an acute bacterial infections. Very sad news

Benobo88 likes this.
  16. scottie31

scottie31 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Email today with news about Marwell’s re-opening. Members only for four days from next Monday (you have to book on website of course). General public from Friday 3rd July.

Email also gave news that a male bongo calf was born on the 10th June, adding to the female calf that was born last year.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  17. Embu

Sclater's Crowned Pigeon, Neil and Maria, have successfully hatched a chick. Both are first time parents.

Jungle Man, Antoine and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  18. okapis

A male Anoa has died,and the pair of Anoa on the south rd have moved up by the tropical house,they were due to move to another zoo a short time ago,but in the end it did not happen,Anoa have been at Marwell for over twenty years but have never bred,its a species that will go over time.The last serval has died and a new childrens play area is being built by the Tigers and Okapi to replace the one on the other side of the road which was taken down.

britishzoofan and Jungle Man like this.
  19. Kifaru Bwana

I wonder what husbandry expertise - with the anoa's demise - is left with hoof stock at Marwell Wildlife?

20. pfloyd601

pfloyd601 New Member

Hi all - a long time lurker here who has created an account to share my thoughts on a recent visit to Marwell. I used to visit Marwell a lot when I was younger so it is a place I hold dearly. Today was my first visit for several years - and my first time seeing the more recent developments. I thought I would share some thoughts.

Penguin enclosure still more than adequate and good to see two juvenile humbolts. Cheetah enclosure better and bigger than I remembered with great views of these stunning cats - though could only see one? Giraffe house is still one of the best in the country in my opinion, and I liked the lemur infographic upon entry. Lemur loop wasn't open due to the covid situation but could still see black and white ruffed and crowned lemurs enjoying what looked like a well landscaped (if slightly small) walkthrough. Great to see the young bongo calf explore its paddock outside - wonderful stuff. The Into Africa building was empty as all animals were outside but I did notice the old ciclid (?) tank had been emptied. Two marabou stalks have recently been introduced to each other and was great to watch them interacting with one another. In the field in the top corner, I believe there were a herd of blesbok (?) - though hard to see in the distance. Leopard enclosure is a tad disappointing - the individuals were hard to observe on their upper sleeping posts and I noticed the raised walkway was closed.

Now onto the first of the new developments - Wild Explorers. From an educational point of view, I thought it was top notch but the rhinos, zebras, ostrich and oryx were so far down their large enclosure and the board walk didn't extend far enough into the field for this to really work for me. It would have made much more sense for the landscaping and raised walkway to not be restricted to the top corner in my opinion. A disappointment.

I enjoyed the tiger enclosure and had some stunning views of my favourite animals - was a larger and better enclosure than I remembered. Meerkat area appears to have halved in size. Another nice selection of hoofstock around here - love the dik diks, the dorca gazelles, lowland anoa and a personal favourite - the okapi, which I had some wonderful views of in their house. There was also a nice collection of sable antelope around the other side of the tropical house - I wasn't aware of how majestic these animals were up close.

Now for what has become the major draw to Marwell of late - the new tropical house. I thought this was largely a resounding hit. Wonderfully landscaped, great views of the sloth on the way in, felt like plentiful number of free flying birds - the purple honeycreeper and new crowned pigeon chick were a personal favourite. I managed to see a Javan chevrotain plodding along the forest floor and the crocodile monitor lizard was active in the final room which I liked a great deal. I loved seeing several yellow throated frogs settled around the waterfall. I failed to see the caecilians or any pygmy marmosets which was a shame - and whilst the large aquarium was aesthetically very nice I wasn't quite sold on the selection of fish. I do wonder whether the house overall could have done with one or two larger species to really make this a standout development (tamanduas or dwarf crocodile perhaps?)

New red panda enclosure a vast improvement on their old area around the single tree - impressed with both this and the nice bird aviary at the top of the hill. The wallaby area had just been landscaped which looked great, but it seemed a bit empty - not sure if they are short on wallaby numbers? Cold blooded corner was decent - each cabinet had a species clearly visible. I enjoyed seeing the snake-necked turtles here. The area with the short-clawed otters and gibbons I liked quite a lot, but Life in the Trees was closed at this particular time. From here to the exit looked very very tired, snow leopards aside. Very few species, the hippo house is perhaps the worst looking indoor area at the zoo so doesn't leave a great lasting impression. I can see why Marwell want to redevelop this area and I'll be keen to see how the wetland designs come to fruition. Hopefully if they bring in a couple new landmark species and re-landscape this area I think large parts of Marwell will actually be far nicer than some people on here tend to let on. Overall I had a nice day.

TNT, zooboy, gulogulogulo and 7 others like this.