Join our zoo community

Marwell Wildlife Marwell Trip - 19/7

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by JamesB, 18 Jul 2008.

Tags:
  1. JamesB

JamesB Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I am visiting marwell tomorow and will post all details here

if any one wants some specific informationm now is the time to ask!

2. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Whats happened to the second pregnant Okapi, is a must question if you do speak to any keepers

Thanks

3. JamesB

will do, im going now will update when im backl!

4. JamesB

taun sorry no news on the okapi, although one seemed rather large (could be still pregnant)

the baby was in great condition, i also saw baby warthogs, amur leopards, giraffe, buffalo, przewalskis horse, sable, tamarin and wallaby

the frog house is not yet finisihed but the gibbon enclosure and anteater enclosure looks great (even saw one awake and moving)

photos of my trip can be found here - Flickr: Tigerlemurguy's Photostream

5. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update thou

Is that congo buffalo? Never visited marwell

6. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

Yeah it would probably be congo buffalo, Marwell have a good group I believe...

7. CZJimmy

CZJimmy Well-Known Member

Some great photos Tigerlemurguy!

Why don't you upload them into the gallery? It'd be good to see more photos of Marwell on here.

8. JamesB

thanks and yes they are congo buffalo, the babies look so different from the parents!

babies are a caramel colour and adults are orangy colour!

and i would like to take a photography course one day

9. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I believe that 'Dumela' won't now have a successful birth as she has passed the full time when she could have been pregnant. Either she wasn't pregnant at all or she has a problem...

10. JamesB

as i said there was an very large female but do not know if she was pregnant, do you like the photos pertinax?

11. Pertinax

Good photos.

If you're referring to the animals behind the Giraffe, they are Sable antelope. The Sable were in a seperate paddock just a few weeks ago so must have been put in with the Giraffe again very recently.

Re. the Okapi(Dumela)that hasn't had a calf- I was told about three weeks ago they were doubtful she was pregnant(though she had tested positive at one stage) as she had reached the full time from when she could last have been mated- so still no calf means its even less likely now.

12. JamesB

ps: pertinax i know what im talking about, trust me! yes the sable are now with the giraffe and the gazzele are now in the old sable paddock, anyone know why the gazzelle were moved they have been with the girrafes as long as i can remeber!

13. Pertinax

Does that mean the Sable have the other main stable in the giraffe house(formerly the Dama gazelles' area)?

I was surprised to see the Sable in your photo with the giraffes as just three weeks ago they were entirely seperate(past the Leopards). I seem to remember the Sable have shared the paddock with the Giraffes before though?

14. JamesB

yes thats right, and no i dont think they have ever been with the giraffes

i remeber twn years back it was dama gazzele back then!

and READ THIS, there are two groups pertinax, one is still by the przewalkis horse area (these one have got babies with them) is that what you meant?

15. Pertinax

I only saw one group of Sable a few weeks back, in the paddock between the leopards and the desert house. There didn't seem to be any in or near the giraffes then. I don't think I can have missed them.

Incidentally, if you include a sentence or two in a quote before your replies (when relevant) it helps other people know exactly what you're referring to...;)

Last edited: 21 Jul 2008
  16. SWA

SWA Well-Known Member

Sable

The Sable moved in with the Giraffe and Congo Buffalo a few weeks ago and there has been no problems between the species.

The Sable are now housed in the Giraffe house where the Gazelles were previously. The Sable moved from the house opposite the Desert house, at the back of the Gemsbok. There is only 1 group.

The animals at the back of the Desert house, near the new Restuarant and Przewalski are the Roan Antelope.

There has been a baby Sable recently - but this is in the group by the giraffe.

A Przewalski was born a couple of weeks ago - the first for ages at Marwell and the first for the new stallion that arrived last year. A couple of the other mares look rather round.

I have heard nothing else about the Okapi - unfortunatley I doubt there will be another calf.

17. Pertinax

Thanks for that. The Sable group must have been moved during the last four weeks since I saw them. Am I right in thinking they've lived with the Giraffe before?

I only saw two Roan behind the Desert House- is that all they have left nowadays?

It seems Okapi 'Dumela' wasn't pregnant- unless she has complications...:(

18. SWA

SWA Well-Known Member

I have just checked my notes and I think the Sable were with the Giraffe before the Dama Gazelle arrived in 2000. I wasn't a visitor at that time - so can't say I have actually seen them with the giraffe before.

I have also seen photos of the Giraffe out with the Waterbuck, but I think that was much earlier than the Sable.

I thinks there is still a sizable herd of Roan Antelope - but they are difficult to see now with the building works. It may have been that the others were in the house at the time of your visit. I haven't heard of any plans to phase them out and they seem to be a breeding herd.

19. johnstoni

johnstoni Well-Known Member

Waterbuck were housed with Giraffe in the early 80s. Towards the late 80s and into the 90s, the sable antelopes were housed with the giraffes. On completion of the current giraffe house, the dama gazelles were moved from their old yards (now housing the anoa in the gibbon exhibit) to mix with the giraffes. The congo buffalo were previously always housed in the area recently occupied by the sable antelope herd....I assume it was a basic swap once the 'heart of africa' house was completed.

I wonder what prompted the move, Sable antelope are highly strung and it will be interesting to see how they react to the visitor access to their indoor stalls. Do you know where the dama gazelles have been moved to?

20. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Such a shame, but with two births (assuming london zoo's birth has happened and its all going well) in the UK this year, things are looking a little brighter for Okapi here in the UK.