Join our zoo community

Marwell Wildlife Marwell Trip - 19/7

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by JamesB, 18 Jul 2008.

Tags:
  1. johnstoni

johnstoni Well-Known Member

yes the actual woodland is not suitable, but there are plenty of parkland areas with mature trees, along the top path of the north side of the park, to where the okapis are and the ocelot/hornbill areas. The current heart of africa building was basically built in a field. Interestingly, the original okapi area was quite open in this way, the other side of the old giraffe house, the current paddocks provide much more cover.

2. Cat-Man

Cat-Man Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Sice when did Marwell keep European Bison (Wisent):confused::(

3. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

From 1971 to 19??

4. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

What happened was the original paddocks were laid out in the open areas of the park(Marwell is really farmland rather than true parkland anyway) leaving the treed areas for picnic areas etc. Little thought was given to exhibiting animals in more natural surroundings and of course forest species like buffalo, okapi and Bongo weren't even thought of for the collection at its inception. The original layout has remained largely the same although a wide variety of species has been rotated in several of the paddocks over its history.

Last edited: 24 Jul 2008
  5. Cat-Man

Went to Marwell today, was Great. Bongo out in Grass paddok, Buffalo out in Giraffe, More trees in tigers. Why did they move their dama gazelle and What happend to their Caracals

6. johnstoni

didn't the caracals get replaced by the bat-eared foxes?

7. Cat-Man

No the Caracals were next to the serval, and the Bat eared fox is near the Ocelots

8. johnstoni

When I last went, there were serval by the warthog and down by the Kudu house. Which location do you mean?

9. Cat-Man

The Warthog/Cheetah

10. zooman1

zooman1 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The last time i went the little enclosure down by the Kudu was empty

11. johnstoni

I'm quite surprised, as since I last visited Marwell recieved all of the Isle of Wight Zoo's servals, and when I was last there Marwell had serval in both locations (I think at least 3 animals). That enclosure by the Kudu has held all manner of species from capybara to pygmy goats over the years, so I expect it is just a 'spare' enclosure for holding whatever they need to accomodate.

12. zooman1

zooman1 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

yes must be a spare enclosure now the last guide book map says there is servals in there but i went in June and it was empty.

true what you say it has been used for many animals tho i have also seen Capybara in there:)

13. JamesB

JamesB Well-Known Member 15+ year member

i can confirm that the small enclosure near kudu is empty and that the old carcal enclosure is now used for serval, ive only ever seen 3 at marwell

true i wonder what happened to the ones from i.o.w

14. HuxleyPig

HuxleyPig Well-Known Member

In reference to the Congo Buffalo and Bongo, I went to Marwell today and neither were inside whenever I went there. They seemed quite happy in the open paddock, unless they were only out there when I was there and returned inside for the rest of the time.

On another note, how often to the Giraffe use their paddock? They're always indoors whenever I am there and only ever poke their noses out of the door.

15. Zambar

Zambar Well-Known Member 15+ year member 10+ year member 5+ year member

Marwell is quite strict when it comes to giraffe access to the paddock. They generally don't go out during the peak of winter (I've noticed Marwell no longer stays to it's 'hardstand only' rule in Autumn/Winter), and due to it's sloped structure they can't go out when wet or frosty. Try visiting in a day of dry weather in Spring/Summer if you want the best chance of seeing them on grass.

16. Cat-Man

i would have thought that there was a possibility that they would have built the house were the current buffalo hardstanding area is, so they could share the hardstanding/bongo grass paddok so they could share an enclosure and have a direct door from the house into the giraffe field

does anyone know why the dama gazelles moved

17. Zambar

Zambar Well-Known Member 15+ year member 10+ year member 5+ year member

Yes, they are in the old hardstanding where the Dorcas Gazelle bachelors used to be opposite the colobus/diana monkeys. They access the bongo paddock on a rota.