Join our zoo community

Marwell Wildlife Marwell Wildlife Park News 2017

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by MagpieGoose, 19 Jan 2017.

1. okapis

okapis Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Half of its mammal species in 10 years,and over half number animals.

2. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thanks Okapis, I was going to state a third! But half? Even I didn't realise it was that bad! Shame

3. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I have thoroughly enjoyed this argument/debate on the tropical house and I really do see both sides of the argument. A tropical house is an expensive addition to any zoo, usually one that recovers the cost though with extra attendance brought in by people wanting to see the new attraction. Unfortinately the zoo in question is Marwell, a zoo that doesn't need draw card exhibits but desperately needs to fill its empty exhibits.

If this was happening at Dudley/Twycross/Blackpool then I would be extremely happy but because it is Marwell I feel a bit "meh" towards it. If they pull it off and add some exciting new species then I'm all for it; if it's just a large greenhouse with nothing exciting added then I agree with @pipaluk that it could well be a waste of money!

But currently I'm with @gentle lemur and will wait for the first hand accounts before I start judging it.

4. pipaluk

I think that's a pretty fair assessment. I'm sure it will be a good exhibit, which I may even have to admit to 'liking' to an extent.

Will it improve my overall enjoyment or opinion of Marwell more than if the money had been spent on a dozen or so cheaper exhibits - almost certainly not! But then I'm different and unlikely to change !

5. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

That's putting words into my mouth ;) I have no idea whether this is a good investment for the zoo or not. I think time will tell.
    I do understand your frustration with the changes that have happened at Marwell, it seems that the zoo is changing direction - rightly or wrongly, depending on your point of view. If the zoo wants to expand its collection of tropical animals, which has always been sparse (to put it kindly), I am prepared to suspend judgement until I can see the results.

6. pipaluk

It's OK GL, I wasn't putting words into your mouth, my reply was aimed at Zooboy, whose post I quoted. No worries

gentle lemur likes this.
  7. zooboy

zooboy Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The size of "two football pitches" is an error given in some of the recent local press reports. There are plans available if you search the web, as well a number of photos taken by the local press on a preview visit which shows the recently planted new Tropical House, and these better indicate the space available for animals. The actual area of the new building is about 1,000m2, so approximately double the size of Marwell's current Tropical World.

Chlidonias likes this.
  8. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The zoo have announced another species that has arrived from the Tropical house, Javan Chevrotain. The animal will be kept off-show until the opening of the tropical house.

9. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

That's not to shabby, even @pipaluk can't moan at that! :p :D

pipaluk likes this.
  10. pipaluk

No, a definite plus and I said so when it was suggested this would bea new species a few pages back. I'm glad it has actually happened!

If someone tells me Manatee are next I may just change my opinion!

Last edited: 30 Nov 2017
  11. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

For what it's worth, I think the tropical house goes towards addressing a major weakness at Marwell -the lack of anything much to do or anywhere to shelter should the weather be inclement or even just a little showery. I've been around the place in poor (and very poor weather) and it's not much fun. For a non-enthusiast it could be enough to prevent future visits in all but the best weather or could provide such a poor experience they never go back. A large tropical house (regardless of our opinions) goes a considerable way to address this issue and may improve future visitor levels as a result.

Apologies to those who've read a near-identical post in Yorkshire's thread, but I thought it needed saying (again).

12. Swampy

Swampy Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Wait, actual Javan chevorotain or generic lesser chevrotains?

13. Leopardus

Leopardus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Six Burmese Mountain Tortoises have arrived. They will be off-show until the new Tropical House opens.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.