Join our zoo community

Marwell Wildlife Marwell Zoo News 2018

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Giant Panda, 8 Jan 2018.

1. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Here's a news video of the opening of the new Tropical House, with some discussion/footage in it of construction, power, animals, etc. It is quite interesting, and it looks like a really nice space.

Benosaurus likes this.
  2. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

migdog likes this.
  3. Swampy

Swampy Well-Known Member 10+ year member

the video states nearly 40 species are presently in the house, but @MagpieGoose 's list a few posts back only contains 25...are they including plants or something?
    The present species list is not overwhelming, however I hope upcoming additions will help with that. Interesting that adding butterflies was mentioned, when there are free-flying Asian glossy starlings- I've seen common starlings deliberately hunting butterflies before, will the more frugivorous diet of the Asian glossy prevent this?

Last edited: 30 Mar 2018
  4. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Maybe there are a lot of unsigned invertebrates or free-roaming lizards? Or maybe he mis-spoke.

The list earlier in the thread specified it was from signage, and (as the only example I can pick out) the video stated seven species of fish and the list only has six (Tiger Barbs are missing from the list but were obvious in numbers in the video).

MagpieGoose and Swampy like this.
  5. okapis

okapis Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The last Bat eared fox is now of show,he is an old animal,the last Serval is also due to leave and the area will be redone at some stage,the new tropical house is nice and hot but needs time to settle down,with I am sure some other species in there in the future.

6. zootiger

zootiger Well-Known Member

Are both servals and ocelots off show?

7. okapis

okapis Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Last ocelot left last year,one Serval left of show,ex London.

8. migdog

migdog Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I saw a serval today wondering around its enclosure.

pipaluk likes this.
  9. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The Asian Green Starlings I've met were as keen on live food as any other starling.

10. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

I think they must be - we had our first visit today since it opened and I have to say, it was all a bit disappointing. The space itself is very nice but animals feel pretty sparse. The sloth area is ok but they are obviously not the most lively of creatures and won't hold peoples attention if asleep. No sign of the chevrotain at all. Saw most of the birds but compared to other tropical houses where you are practically tripping over them there didn't seem all that many and it was weirdly quiet. The ant colony is not shown off very well - it was really dark in that area so you could barely see them. Tortoise and fish were easily found but again - not the most exciting inhabitants. Pygmy marmosets are housed above the aquarium and I'm pretty confident 90% of the people in there at the same time as us did not notice them. Same goes for the frogs. The crocodile monitor is easily the best part of the exhibit.

pipaluk likes this.
  11. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thanks for the realistic review Zia. I'm afraid it appears my original predictions are being proved right and this is yet another expensive Marwell mistake! A lot of money spent, to add very little to the visitors' enjoyment. This was never going to make up for all the lost species, but if people aren't seeing much in there, they wont care how impressive or expensive the building is. A very costly crocodile monitor exhibit.

12. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Is Marwell worth a visit? We've not been before, it's just over an hour away, and should be able to get in with our Colchester passes. I'm just a little worried, reading the thread here, that a visit might be a disappointment and a bit of a drive for not much...

13. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

If you've never been before , yes it's probably worth a visit , much of the negativity comes from the fact that the collection has severely diminished over the last 10 years. Even then it wasn't the zoo it was in the 70s.
    Those who aren't comparing it to the past don't seem as negative. Some zoos have had to reduce their collection due to available space, but Marwell can never use that as an excuse.

I should add, I traded my Marwell pass for a Colchester one as a protest a few years ago. I've been once a year since but am determined to stay away this year, the tropical house doesn't encourage me to change that stance!

Last edited: 19 May 2018
    Crowthorne likes this.
  14. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

I agree - unless the intention is to build on what is already there. I just don't understand why they did not move some of the inhabitants of their former tropical house over. Adding some vivariums would significantly improve the whole experience. I can honestly say there was more excitment seen in 'cold blooded corner' today because tree monitors are always good value for the visitor..

It is definitely worth a visit with your Colchester passes (we have them too so free entry). We've been going to Marwell for years and have therefore witnessed the decline in species, hopeless planning and wasted money first hand which is really sad. Having said that - we still spent 6 hours there today and had a good day out.

Crowthorne and pipaluk like this.
  15. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Thank you both! A visit does sound like a worthy venture then. It sounds similar to London in a way - if you're familiar with how it once was, then how it is now doesn't always compare well. Hopefully as a first time visit everything will seem fine :)

16. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Marwell is definitely well worth a visit.

As others have mentioned many times, the collection has been reduced in recent years; I especially miss the white-tailed gnu and the takin but there is still plenty to see.

For me, it is worth the visit just to see the lesser kudu and Somali wild ass, two of my favourite species, both of which are very well displayed.

I was also very impressed by the new Tropical House; such exhibits always improve as the vegetation matures so it will surely get even better.

17. migdog

migdog Well-Known Member 5+ year member

We visited a couple of weeks ago and were very underwhelmed by the new tropical house other than the monitor enclosure. We did enjoy the walk-though wrinkled hornbill aviary though, which housed Von der Deckens the last time we visited in 2015.

pipaluk and Crowthorne like this.
  18. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

As has been said many times, by many people, it’s not the zoo it once was, but it’s definitely worth a visit - especially if you’re only an hour away: I think most on this site would travel that far to see a moth-eaten capybara and a couple of meerkats, let alone a major zoo such as this.

One thing I would advise would be to be sure to visit on a sunny day. If ever a zoo was not best served by grey and overcast conditions, it is Marwell.

As for the new tropical house, it is fine, but, yes, a little underwhelming. But, to be fair, such houses usually take a while to bed-in. I suspect this one will be no different.

Crowthorne and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  19. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Have they still got the last remaining Arabian Oryx in the UK?

20. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

The most recent Marwell Animal Inventory lists 1.4 Arabian oryx as at 31st December 2017. Zootiereliste doesn't record any others in the UK.

(Marwell administers the Arabian Oryx Studbook too.)

Pertinax likes this.