Join our zoo community

Marwells Lions

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Charliemarwell, 17 Aug 2013.

1. Charliemarwell

Charliemarwell Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I know marwell held asiatic lions for a while. They later turned out to be impure. When did the last lion die at the park? any information on them would be helpfull
    What was there enclosure like?
    When did they arrive?
    Where were they in the park?
    What was there back story?
    Any photos anyone??

2. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Marwell's Lions

I believe they had the non-breeding pair of Asian Lions [imported from India]
    from Jersey, in the early 1980s; don't know if they subsequently bred from them, or if these too turned out to have African blood.

3. Charliemarwell

I know they were hybrids but im not sure what there enclosure looked like or where it was. I thought they had four. When did the last one die?

4. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Marwell's Lions

I think they had the enclosure whose shelters looked like a run of old fashioned beast wagon type cages, possibly next to where the Snow Leopards are now?
    But, I'm no expert on Marwell, & wish someone who is, would chip in here.

5. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I replied to where the lions were on the old marwell thread, as same question was asked there before this new thread was started!

6. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

CharlieMarwell- if you restrict your questions about Marwell to less threads, e.g. just use 'Old Marwell' as the main thread, you are likely to get more answers and save confusion by duplicating questions. If you use the title bar in the 'Reply', for e.g. 'Marwell Lions' the question will still get noticed.

Regarding the Lions- they had two pairs- one pair ex Jersey, one from somewhere in Europe- Berlin? To my knowledge all four were found to be impure and were never bred from. If you search in the Marwell gallery I think there are photos of their enclosure- it was a typical Marwell-style prefab indoor house with fenced small outdoor paddock.

7. Charliemarwell

Thanks for the advice I'm a newb haha