Join our zoo community

Mass auction of zoo guidebooks continues – 1970s ones now

Discussion in 'Zoo Memorabilia' started by Baldur, 3 Sep 2009.

1. Baldur

Baldur Well-Known Member

Mass auction of zoo guidebooks continues – 1970s

I continue the auction of my zoo guidebook collection and have started to auction the 1970s guides. The batch from that decade is around 75 items and should be finished around mid September. It includes rarities from such famous/closed animal collections as:

Cleethorpes Zoo
    Drayton Manor Zoo Park
    Jimmy Chipperfield's Loch Lomond Bear Park
    Manchester's Belle Vue Zoo Park
    Moscow Zoo
    Plymouth Zoo
    Zoo di Pompia – Italy
    Southampton Zoo
    Windsor Safari Park

Old as well as new bidders are welcome. Remember that I will ship to any country and continent and will answer your questions gladly and as rapidly as I possibly can.

Please go to the following page for my auctions:

eBay Seller: australiananimals: Books, Comics Magazines items on eBay.co.uk

Baldur

Last edited: 3 Sep 2009
  2. JonBoy

JonBoy New Member

Southampton Zoo

I used to visit Southampton Zoo regularly when I was a nipper. By today's standards the zoo was shocking. I remember buying popcorn and being allowed to feed the giraffe and elephant. The chimp was called James and was in residence for many years. He did indeed smoke, sometimes visitors would throw their cigarettes into his enclosure. He also ate jam sandwiches! For it size the zoo did have some unusual animals, I remember seeing the Bongo and I think they had an Okapi for a while. I can also remember the clouded leopard, it was located in a very small cage, the lions and tigers were either side in a kinda semi circle building.
    The zoo occupied just two acres on Southampton Common, I remember it very well if anyone wants further memories
    Thank goodness for Marwell which opened in 1972, great zoo, animals displayed in large paddocks.