Join our zoo community

Master list of Zoo Guidebooks

Discussion in 'Zoo Memorabilia' started by zoospud, 26 Dec 2008.

1. zoospud

zoospud Well-Known Member

Dear All

On our < Zoo History > website we have already compiled master lists of UK and North American zoo guidebooks.

These lists have been compiled from collectors own records and then standardized in format. Over 40 individuals have so far contributed to the UK master list. Thus we are happy with the resulting quality of information.

We are now considering which our next project should be. Suggestions so far have included Germany, Holland, Australia and South Africa.

What do you reckon ?

Regards, Paul M. < Zoo History >

2. Zebraduiker

Zebraduiker Well-Known Member

I would like to have a german list, of course....I have now more than 1200 german guidebooks and I have the covers of them scanned on my computer. So it would be a pleasure for me to work with you on that list.

3. zoospud

zoospud Well-Known Member

Excellent.

1,200 German zoo guidebooks is mighty impressive!

Personally I only have 500 German zoo guidebooks. The largest UK collection of German zoo guidebooks, I believe, is a friend of mine with almost 1,000.

Interesting you should mention that you have scanned the covers. This is become an increasingly popular practice. Unfortunately, at present, our website software is inappropriate for the displaying of pictures. It is on our 'long term' wish list.

Our first step would be to compare what formats different collectors have used for their German listings. For example my own guide list is in Microsoft Excel format.

Besides your scans have you also recorded your guides as a list?

If so then please feel free to drop me a 'Private Message' so we can exchange email addresses.

If anyone is reading this with a small collection of zoo guidebooks please do not be put of from getting in touch. One UK collector only had 50 guides but one of them was new to our lists! The more people participate the better our accuracy and the more complete the master lists become.

Regards, Paul M < Zoo History >.

4. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Surely some of our Australian colleagues on here should be able to compile a very near complete list of the Australian Zoo guides produced i know one U.K collector has got about 60.

5. Zebraduiker

Zebraduiker Well-Known Member

I have now 72 diffrent australian zooguidebooks and waiting for the 1934 edition of Perth Zoo.

6. James Barber

James Barber Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Here is my list of the Twycross Zoo guidebooks I have brought either from the zoo over the years, or ebay.

1965 (first ever one), 1966, 1967, 1968, 1970, 1971, 1975, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1985, 1987/89, 1991, 1993, 1994/96, 1998, 2000, 2002, 2004/05, 2007

I sadly haven't got the 1973, 1977/78 and 1988 guidebooks and they are the only ones missing from my collection.

James B