Join our zoo community

Milwaukee County Zoo Master Plan and Future Renovations

Discussion in 'United States' started by pachyderm pro, 28 Jan 2017.

1. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Pardon Our Dust as We Make Way for BIG Changes! | Milwaukee County Zoo

Milwaukee County Zoo planning $44.6 million in exhibit upgrades | BizTimes Media

The much mangled Milwaukee County zoo will soon be starting a extensive renovation in the form of a 15-20 year master plan. Many old and outdated exhibits will be emptied and demolished, while new and expanded exhibits are built in their place. Here is what they have announced as of yet.

New Entrance and Otter Experience - This summer (Though it will most likely be a delay) A new West entrance and otter exhibit will open. This will be the first time otters will be in a outdoor exhibit.
    New Otter Exhibit and Parking Lot Sign | ZooChat

Red Panda Expansion - Also this summer, a newly expanded red panda habitat. To make room for another female, the already pretty solid exhibit, will be moved all the way back to the entrance of big cat country
    Red panda construction | ZooChat

Adventure Africa - In 2018 the zoo will open its biggest project of all time. The $30M (r so) Adventure Africa complex. Taking place of the demolished wolf, moose, sandhill crane, brown bear, and dall sheep exhibits, (As well as Australia that will stay up for a little bit until the animals in the complex are relocated) the new multi acre complex has already began construction. This will be the new home to the zoos elephants, as well as multiple African hoofstock.
    https://www.zoochat.com/community/threads/adventure-africa-coming-in-2018.466

Alaska's Cold Coast - In 2023, a complex known as Alaska's Cold Coast, will open. Not much is known about the new addition other then a new exhibit for pinnipeds.

The following expansions/Renovations do not a have known start or completion timeline.

Hippo Expansion - With the bongo being soon moved to Adventure Africa, their current yard will be used as part of the newly expanded Nile hippo exhibit. The hippos will have triple the space, and will finally get underwater viewing.

Rhino Renovation - The black rhinos will also be getting a renovated habitat. Though, nothing is known about what will change as of now. Maybe Adventure Africa phase ll?

Primates of the World Renovation - The colobus monkey group will soon be in a outdoor habitat. The mandrills and siamangs will be switching indoor areas (With a few changes to make it more fit for a new species). The colobus monkeys and mandrills will rotate in place of the current outdoor siamang yard, while the new siamang yard will be off exhibit.
    Primate Exhibit Renovations | ZooChat

Wolfs Return - The zoos last elderly wolf is being held off exhibit until he passes on. With the wolf exhibit demolished, a new wolf exhibit will be constructed in a different location in a few years.(Alaska's Cold Coast?)

Thoughts? Opinions? Discussion?

MKE Zoo guy and snowleopard like this.
  2. GraysonDP

GraysonDP Well-Known Member

Where did you hear wolves will return and do you have any clue if polar bears are part of Alaska's Cold Coast? I hope giraffes and all the great apes get new exhibits as their current ones are awful. Also the Small Mammal House really needs a redo.

3. pachyderm pro

Regarding wolfs, Read the first article.

I have no clue if polar bears will be featured or not. I pray that they are considering the current exhibit is a abomination. You should see my review on the god awful exhibit.

Last edited: 28 Jan 2017
    MKE Zoo guy likes this.
  4. blospz

blospz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I could be wrong, but if I were the guess, I would assume they wouldn't be incorporated. With their lone senior bear, the issue of so many zoos with pb exhibits and not enough polar bears, and zoos already with polar bear exhibits planning to renovate, they probably wouldn't be able to acquire polar bears.

5. MKE Zoo guy

MKE Zoo guy Well-Known Member 5+ year member

A couple of weeks ago I decided to do some searching on some of the improvements happening at the Milwaukee zoo. Its interesting on how little there is out there, even when you are talking about the new elephant exhibit being constructed. However, I was able to track down some interesting information.

Africa Adventure: The elephant exhibit area is just part one of the expansion. They are looking to redo the rhino and hippo exhibit as well. Although that is not until phase 2 of the project. That will not start until the elephant exhibit opens. If you are thinking that the expansion will be bringing a potential baby elephant to milwaukee, unfortunately that won't be happening according to the zoo director. The new elephant exhibit is only going to be about 2 acres, and what they would need would be closer to 4 plus. So the milwaukee zoo will be more of a holding area for elephants but no breeding. Although the new exhibit is suppose to hold up to 5 elephants. It looks like the current elephants will be getting a new roommate or two in the coming years.

Speaking of phase 2 it appears though that they started on the new hippo exhibit already, with the new hippo house that opened a few years ago. The next portion of that exhibit will be the outdoor portion where they will have underwater viewing area for visitors. They announced the hippo river area back in I believe 2008 or so and have been slowly raising the funds since then.

When it comes to the rhino exhibit however, I have been able to come across very little details about the exhibit other then they may be moving in where the elephants once where. Which would then leave where the rhinos currently exist empty. I am not sure how much room both the hippo and the rhino exhibit is expected to take but it sounds like there is going to be a lot of open area around the current Africa and big cat exhibit.

Australian experience: Although they took away the Australian land to make way for the elephant exhibit, it does not appear to be fully gone from Milwaukee zoo forever. According from the zoo director to the Milwaukee County Parks committee, the zoo may be bring Australia back to Milwaukee in the coming years.

Caribbean Cove: Alright this one is a little old, however would be very exciting to have a the zoo. This one comes from the 1985 Alive Magazine from the zoo itself. Here it would be attached to the Aquarium/Reptile building. They would have several tanks with sharks and tropical sea life in large 16 foot high tanks. Also, having a restaurant attached over looking the tanks while you dine. I am not sure if this exhibit area is still in the zoo's newest master plan but if it is, I can't wait to visit it.

Thoughts?

Sources:
    http://www.zoosociety.org/pdf/pubs/47/82/207/207.pdf (Caribbean Cove)
    Parks, Energy and Environment Committee on 2016-09-13 9:00 AM - Sep 13th, 2016 (Africa Adventure, Australia)

Last edited: 8 Jun 2017
    pachyderm pro likes this.
  6. pachyderm pro

Thank you for the information, I find this all quite interesting. I have to noticed how scarce and secretive the zoo is being about their future.

Adventure Africa - While its a shame baby elephants probably wont come in the future, the concept art already shows the exhibit to be only 2 acres. While certainly still good, that's only half of the original 5 acre facility that was planned. As far as the hippo renovation, the mediocre indoor expansion opened a few years back and has been stagnant ever since. As far as rhinos go, I have heard absolutely nothing regarding their future exhibit.

Australian experience - I have yet to hear of a replacement for the soon to be dismantled Australia building. If this is true that is great news as the building is almost empty.

As far as the Caribbean exhibit, I will bet anyone that this exhibit is no more (as cool as it would be) .

7. MKE Zoo guy

From what I can assume the director was talking about a whole new area for Australia because the current building is being turned into a pen for the other animals joining the elephant exhibit.

As for the Caribbean exhibit maybe they have the philosophy that no good idea ever goes away, and something will come of it later on.

8. MKE Zoo guy

While looking at what’s going on across the country in terms of building or renovating exhibits, it got me thinking of what to expect with the “Alaskan Gold Coast” phase of expansion. I feel like the zoo may enlarge the area where they currently have the seals and polar bear to a larger and flexible exhibit, currently what’s being designed for the Denver zoo. The exhibit(s) will expand towards the rhinos and giraffes and somehow give guests a new experience either would food or interaction point.

While the wolves have been rumored to make a return I feel like in this expansion is where it would happen. I don’t see how the old wolf view cabin will fit in with the new elephant exhibit. Hence my guest is that they will eventually move that to be part of the “Alaskan Gold Coast” renovation. Here the building will once again be among the wolf’s, along with what appears to be some of the wood carvings that used to line that path of the woods experience that appeared to stay after they came through and cleared for the elephant expansion.

The thing that I wonder about though is the cost being the deciding factor in all of this. St. Louis zoo just created a new polar bear exhibit and it was over $15 million for just that exhibit alone. So with ~ $15 million going to the elephants, ~ $10 million going to hippos and ~ $7 million going to the rhinos, and ~ $2 million going towards the Alaskan Gold Coast, which doesn’t leave much for big changes to whatever they are doing. This could change, or is a small renovation gearing up for another big renovation.

9. MKE Zoo guy

Just finished reading “Images of America: Milwaukee County Zoo,” and came across something interesting. In 1953 they were working on an Alaskan Coast exhibits which consisted of polar bears, black bears, and wolves. Maybe this is what they are aiming for again when they get to the new Alaskan Coast. Though that’s still a few years off but interesting looking to the past to see the future.

StoppableSan likes this.
  10. savetherhino

savetherhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I've read that white rhinos will go in the soon to be empty elephant exhibit

StoppableSan likes this.
  11. MKE Zoo guy

I’m really curious on seeing what this new rhino exhibit is suppose to be. I’m assuming they are going to keep the black rhinos and if they are going to add white rhinos too, how’s it going to look. Is there going to be more vegetation or the same old 60s style rock work.

12. pachyderm pro

That's what a keeper told me about a year ago, but I can't exactly back that up with any evidence.

savetherhino likes this.
  13. pachyderm pro

Here are some updates on future renovations and expansions for the zoo.

Adventure Africa Phase l- Adventure Africa was delayed into Spring 2019, about 10 months from its original proposed opening date of June 2018. However, the elephant yard is expected to be on full public view by the fall. The rest of the elephant exhibit (Barn, Demonstration Yard) will be open in 2019. Along with two additional ungulate yards, a forested one for bongo and yellow-backed duiker, and a savannah yard for zebras, impala, African crowned cranes and an additional species of hoofstock that has not been revealed yet. There will also be a crossing bridge which will allow inhabitants of the Savannah yard access to the elephant yard. Once more, the elephant yard will be open in Fall 2018, and the elephant barn, demonstration yard and two hoofstock yards will be open in Spring 2019.

Adventure Africa Phase ll - The hippo exhibit could start construction by the years end. It will be expanded into adjacent hoofstock yards, which will be empty now that they'll be moving to the new area opening in 2019. Once again underwater viewing will be included. Still nothing known about the black rhinos, though with the current elephant yard being empty soon, I could see it being used for this expansion. With the recent leak of an overlay of the new African area, there is also the possibility that giraffes could also being receiving a new or renovated exhibit. This would be a welcome addition but it cannot be confirmed or denied as of yet.

Otter Experience & New Entrance - Finally, after years of construction, the new otter exhibit will be open in a matter of months along with the new West entrance. It will be open in May 2018 and has been years in the making. This will add additional parking spaces - something needed after the interchange - and a new exhibit for charismatic North American river otters.

Primates of the World Renovation - Construction began recently on a tunnel that will grant access to the outdoor yard for colobus monkeys. As stated, siamangs and mandrills will switch exhibits (Each will have their own modifications to make the space fit for the opposite species of course). Mandrills and colobus monkey's (Who will also have a newly modified indoor space) will then be able to rotate the outdoor space, and when one species is outside, the other primate will have access to both indoor exhibits. Very cool and unique set up. It should be completed hopefully by Summer 2018.

Alaska's Cold Coast - Nothing about this new project has emerged since the original posting. Besides the fact that moose will likely return to an on exhibit area. This means that wolves, moose and seals can be expected to be included in the new area which won't be open until 2023. Perhaps the black bear exhibit renovations will be finished. Polar bears are a wild card, not much is known about the future of them being at the zoo. With just one elderly bear and shortage of bears left in America, this will remain an unknown quantity for now.

In other news, the red panda renovations were finished last August. The exhibit was made larger, a large mesh overhang was added and new climbing structures were added.

14. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Will there be elephants in it then?

15. pachyderm pro

Yes.

16. MKE Zoo guy

I was able to get my hands on the newest master plan for the Milwaukee County Zoo. There is a lot of information that I am still unpacking. The biggest thing I have notices is that most of the areas would be highly renovated and come under a central theme. Other themes of MCZ’s Master Plan calls for them to fix the overall experience at the zoo, by updating food options experience, bring clarity to the zoos confusing paths, focus on better conservation efforts and promoting them so that the public understands, modernizing the exhibits, and making the zoo more of a year round option. I was able to upload a few of the layouts and designs from MCZ's Master Plan here.

West Entry (within 10 years):
    Due to the loss of parking on the East side a new parking and entrance is being created. A full entrance area with gift shop, food, restrooms, and the otter exhibit is being constructed. Also the ticketing area will now be where the new buildings are to be and no longer at the entrance like on the east entrance.

Wild Woods (beyond 2023):
    The small mammals building would be renovated and the area currently being used for the special exhibits would become wild woods. Here the moose and wolfs will come back and be joined by the elk and badgers. Also potential of an Lynx and cougar exhibit will join the area as well.

Escape to the Islands (beyond 2023):
    The ARC would be expanded to include two new areas. The first would be the Caribbean which would included a shark tank and a ray touch pool. The other area would be Komodo dragon area.

The Jungle (beyond 2023):
    The Jungle area would include the primate building and monkey island. Renovating many of the already existing exhibits while also constructing a larger Orangutan exhibit that could hold more of them. Also the special exhibits building would get an updated facade with the addition of an outdoor exhibit too. The current seal lion show would be replaces with a picnic area and a play area for the kids.

East Entry (within 10 years):
    The ticketing area would be moved from the current road side entrance to the main entrance building. There the gift shop will be expanded along with the penguin expansion too.

The Farm (within 10 years):
    The Current Farm area is oversized at MCZ. The master plan calls for the creation of a splash pad area (mini water park area), with the addition of Australia, and an updated ice cream and food service in the area as well.

Adventure Africa (within 10 years):
    This area would take over most of what is now the main area of the zoo. The desire is to make the area more naturalistic and immersive exhibits. It appears that giraffes will have an expanded new space and the old pachyderm building with be either torn down or renovated with indoor viewing areas.

Asian Trails (beyond 2023):
    The current Cats building would be renovated and updated to better accommodate the needs of tigers. No much is added as it would be where the camels and jaguar would live in renovated areas. The snow leopard and red pandas would stay.

Alaskan Coast (within 10 years):
    The area around Lake Evinrude would be renovated and transformed into the wilds of Alaska. The polar bear exhibit would take over the existing harbor seal area, giving them more land. The sea lion exhibit and show would where the black bear exhibit is, and the caribou would move into the elk exhibit, while the brown bear exhibit would be renovated and expanded into the current caribou area. Along with renovating the amenities in this area.

17. pachyderm pro

Is
    Is this all confirmed? I feel like I'm dreaming!

18. MKE Zoo guy

This is from their official master plan. So it’s at master plan level, so it’s next to being official confirmed.

19. pachyderm pro

The zoos official master plan has been completely revealed! New exhibit areas include...

Wild Woods (beyond 2023):
    The small mammals building would be renovated and the area currently being used for the special exhibits would become wild woods. Here the moose and wolfs will come back and be joined by the elk and badgers. Also potential of an Lynx and cougar exhibit will join the area as well.

Escape to the Islands (beyond 2023):
    The ARC would be expanded to include two new areas. The first would be the Caribbean which would included a shark tank and a ray touch pool. The other area would be Komodo dragon area.

The Jungle (beyond 2023):
    The Jungle area would include the primate building and monkey island. Renovating many of the already existing exhibits while also constructing a larger Orangutan exhibit that could hold more of them. Also the special exhibits building would get an updated facade with the addition of an outdoor exhibit too. The current seal lion show would be replaces with a picnic area and a play area for the kids.

East Entry (within 10 years):
    The ticketing area would be moved from the current road side entrance to the main entrance building. There the gift shop will be expanded along with the penguin expansion too.

The Farm (within 10 years):
    The Current Farm area is oversized at MCZ. The master plan calls for the creation of a splash pad area (mini water park area), with the addition of Australia, and an updated ice cream and food service in the area as well.

Adventure Africa (within 10 years):
    This area would take over most of what is now the main area of the zoo. The desire is to make the area more naturalistic and immersive exhibits. It appears that giraffes will have an expanded new space and the old pachyderm building with be either torn down or renovated with indoor viewing areas.

Asian Trails (beyond 2023):
    The current Cats building would be renovated and updated to better accommodate the needs of tigers. No much is added as it would be where the camels and jaguar would live in renovated areas. The snow leopard and red pandas would stay.

Alaskan Coast (within 10 years):
    The area around Lake Evinrude would be renovated and transformed into the wilds of Alaska. The polar bear exhibit would take over the existing harbor seal area, giving them more land. The sea lion exhibit and show would where the black bear exhibit is, and the caribou would move into the elk exhibit, while the brown bear exhibit would be renovated and expanded into the current caribou area. Along with renovating the amenities in this area.

Thank you to @MKE Zoo guy for this information. Here is a link to to his flicker page with diagrams and exhibit plans.
    Milwaukee County Zoo Master Plans and Actual plans

20. pachyderm pro

Some of this could be quite rough from the looks of it. Adventure Africa for example will come out much different then what was proposed.