Join our zoo community

Milwaukee County Zoo Master Plan and Future Renovations

Discussion in 'United States' started by pachyderm pro, 28 Jan 2017.

1. MKE Zoo guy

MKE Zoo guy Well-Known Member 5+ year member

On a different note, I would enjoy seeing the Milwaukee zoo get into a large reserve. Much like The Wilds by Columbus Zoo or safari park from San Diego. Milwaukee has several large animals that the seem to take good care of them, I wonder what it would be like to get a reserve under the Milwaukee zoos name. I know it wouldn’t be in Milwaukee but there are several places around the Milwaukee area within an hour ish drive which would be great. Maybe even have it as a reserve for several zoos like Lincoln Park, Brookfield Zoo, and Henry Vilas Zoo.

JVM, csura999 and StoppableSan like this.
  2. JVM

JVM Well-Known Member 10+ year member

This would be a fantastic idea, I think. A large facility where these central midwestern zoos could each contribute to and from to support their individual conservation programs and each other. The main drawback would be some of the initial construction costs, and a location favorable to each facility without appearing to favor any of them... but I think the long term conservation value could be immense.

I wonder how much good a new guard would do for Milwaukee, given some of the rumors owing it's problems to systematic factors, but I think it would do more good than harm these days.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  3. MKE Zoo guy

I mean there’s already a facility in Lake Geneva, WI that recently opened within the last 5 years. So I think the initial start up cost might’ve be lower, it would be bringing in more animals and increasing some of the exhibits at the safari park.

As for a changing of the guard, sometime I think it needs new blood to find some of those systematic factors cause at some point people just learn to live with them and stop fighting it.

JVM likes this.
  4. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It was mentioned on the news thread, but not this thread, so I thought I would post it here.

The zoo is currently fundraising for a new hippo exhibit.

5. MKE Zoo guy

As much as I am excited that they are finally starting to fundraise for the hippo exhibit, it frustrates me that they haven't updated the webpage dedicated to this whole redevelopment of the zoo. Overall, I feel like they are dropping the ball on this advertising thing and getting people really excited about it. I get that we had the "beasties" this past summer and it sounds like they will be coming back this summer. In the mean time what is there to get people excited? They have social media and they are doing a text blast with a picture of a hippo, along with repeating themselves several times in the very short blast. Call me a visual person but like I want to see what they are doing and how is it going to blend in with the rest of the area. I know we have designs and stuff but they have already changed several aspects of the elephant exhibit, now what is the Hippo exhibit going to look like. They mentioned that they are expanding into the old elephant exhibit a bit, but the last time I looked at the master plan it was earmarked for more rhinos. People want to see what's happening over just reading it, personally I get more excited over seeing something that reading about. I know that this campaign for the hippo exhibit is still in the early phases but why not show people what you are planning if you are trying to raise money for it. Not to mention the exhibit from my understanding is already paid for from the private donor, so then what are we campaigning for the hippo exhibit for?

6. MKE Zoo guy

My fears are slowly being confirmed. Talked with someone at the zoo, and they are already scaling back on some of the exhibits. The rhino exhibit which included the mall way being enclosed is currently scaled back. Not sure what it fully means however even the talk of scaling back the projects makes me fear that we are getting something that make look a bit better but still functions the same as the old. Here’s to hoping they reconsider!

7. MKE Zoo guy

On the news of the hippo exhibit. The county has approved the zoo and the zoological society moving forward with the executing the exhibit. Interesting though to note that they have till March 1st to finalize the design and then start the construction afterwards. The zoological society is putting in $9.1 million and the county is putting in $4.3 million. The completion date is set for on or before 1st of May. The naming rights will belong to the zoological society so I am assuming it will be the "Dohman Hippo Experience" or something close to that. So look for the construction to begin as the first phase of Adventure Africa begins to wrap up in a few months.

8. MKE Zoo guy

New Updated Schedule
    • Adventure Africa phase I finishes (Elephant and Impala Yard)
    • Adventure Africa phase II construction begins (Hippo)
    • Adventure Africa phase II finishes (Hippo)
    • Adventure Africa phase III preparation (Rhino)
    • Adventure Africa phase III construction (Rhino)
    • East Entrance preparation (Admissions, Penguin)
    • The Farm construction (Splash Pad)
    • East Entrance construction (Admissions, Penguin)
    • Alaskan Coast preparation

9. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Have they released any concept drawings of the hippo exhibit? Will it feature underwater viewing?

10. MKE Zoo guy

Yes they have, they have the fly over experience of what it will be like. They are planning on having underwater viewing. I’ll post a link below.
    Animal Tales: New View of Hippos | Zoological Society of Milwaukee

DavidBrown and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  11. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

12. JVM

It has been five years since the new plan was umveiled, and nine years since my last visit, to be rectified very shortly.

It looks like some priorities have shifted as there has been no word on Alaska's Gold Coast or Australia since this thread, but Milwaukee has remained committed to Adventure Africa, and I look forward to seeing the hippo and elephant renovations, with rhinoceros on the horizon. I will also finally see the new otter exhibit. Changes to the primate building have occured.

How do we feel about the Master Plan today, everyone?

birdsandbats and StoppableSan like this.
  13. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Since this thread was last active the zoo has brought in a new director and as a result the master plan discussed above is outdated and no longer being followed. Of the proposed changes, only a scaled-back version of Adventure Africa and the otter exhibit came to fruition, plus the upcoming rhino/hippo house starting construction next year. From my understanding the Alaska exhibit is still planned, but will be executed much differently from what was originally intended.

Personally, I'm glad most of the plan didn't end up happening. This master plan felt too much like a reskin of many existing parts of the zoo instead of something truly new. The Jungle was essentially a slightly improved version of the existing primate building that still wouldn't have been that impressive and Asia Trail would have just involved a marginally expanded tiger exhibit. Keeping the other cat grottos the same is also a big mistake that I hope is revisited in the future. Ultimately I don't think it would have solved many of the zoos primary issues and overall lacked ambition in many aspects. The two parts I would've liked to see happen are Wild Woods and Escape to the Islands which had potential to be very cool additions that would have featured some unique elements, but I look forward to see what the current leadership can come up with in the future.

14. MKE Zoo guy

I will say it’s been very difficult, since the new director came in, to understand the new vision and direction he would like to see the zoo go in. Been watching and waiting to see when he does appear before the different county committees and he’s only hinting at things but nothing substantial. I’ve been waiting for him to announce a new master plan, etc.

What I will say that I’ve gleaned is that he would like to have more animals that can be displayed longer out due to the Wisconsin weather.

JVM and savetherhino like this.
  15. JVM

I definitely agree that The Jungle and Asia Trail were particularly 'reskin' like -- to be honest, Escape to the Islands and Gold Coast were the only ones I remembered well until reviewing the material, and those. Islands is the most exciting/ambitious in my mind.

I'd really like to see Escape to the Islands become a reality. I think it's a fantastic marriage of what is strong about the current exhibit in that space with something new and exciting. If the want to get more ambitious about it, that's welcome.

The Jungle isn't worthwhile. It just feels like taking a primate house and pretending it's something broader.

I think Into the Woods and Gold Coast are both interesting projects, but to be honest, I don't see much reason to build moose, elk and wolf exhibits off the former Small Mammal House; it feels like they could just as easily transplant some of that by the West Entry/Alaska's Gold Coast area, especially as those animals can be found in Alaska as well. (Okay, elk only on islands, but still.) This could tie back to the new river otter habitat. This is even more significant keeping in mind it may not be worth the cost to build both an expanded polar bear habitat and new brown bear habitat.

If that decision were made, I am tempted to say Small Mammal House would be better used as a renovation for a neotropical building or an Australia building. There are some existing neotropical species present (or recently present) like sloth, agouti, armadillo, kinkajou, tamarins, tayra even if they're off-exhibit, that could minimize a sense of loss, and surrounding outdoor exhibits from the Wild Woods plan could be modified for the animals in the current South America yard such as Jaguar and Tapir. Black-handed spider monkeys could also be moved. Some animals from he current ARC could be moved as well.

This would open up fresh space in Africa/Asia as well as Primate House, and lemurs could moved to Primate House in the meantime, maybe loris if we're lucky. This still leaves those areas for development, and Asia and Australia as wide open subjects.

MKE Zoo guy likes this.
  16. MKE Zoo guy

It’s that time a year when the county releases the capital expenditures and future projects coming up. Here’s how the lineup stands this year.

2024-2028 Requests

• (Construction) African Adventure phase 3 - Rhinos
    • (Construction) Water pipes replacement
    • (Planning) Zoo front Entrance reconfiguration
    • (Construction) African Adventure phase 3 - Rhinos
    • (Construction) Demo of oceans pool area
    • (Construction) Zoo Front Entrance reconfiguration
    • (Planning) Design for new Tropics building
    • (Planning) Design for Primates Refresh
    • (Construction) for new Tropics Building

17. MKE Zoo guy

Upon reflecting on the new capital plans, there’s some changes coming and that money also seems tighter then we originally thought.

Seeing that they now have split up the projects of rhinos and the reconfiguration of the front of the zoo over several years. I was hoping that they would have the reconfiguration done sooner but it’s been pushed back again. They have also appeared to cut/postponed the Gold Coast project.

Now there’s a new Tropics building coming. Not sure if it’s the new aquarium expansion or if it’s another project entirely. They are budgeting about $40 million for it so I’d be interested on knowing more.

Not sure if it’s related to preparing for the new tropics building or not but they are scheduling demo for what was called Oceans Pool and creating staff parking. I’m not where this is and where they are hoping to move current parking to this new parking area.

Also I’m glad to see that they are looking at updating the primates building. I’m not sure what that’s going to entail but I hope that includes better exhibits for the orangutans as well as better outdoor exhibits. Though this appears to be a project to be completed by the end of the decade and construction will commence sometime in 2029.

I’m sad to see that the Gold Coast has been placed on the back burners but there’s new bigger projects on the way. I do wish that the zoo director would come out with a more focus and direction for the public to get behind. As of right now it seems to be a wait and see what they will announce.

Kifaru Bwana and savetherhino like this.
  18. JVM

African Adventure Phase 3 - Rhinos: I'm glad this is still happening, but I have to admit after almost a decade of discussion it's hard to feel excited. There's not much gimmick to this compared to the elephants and hippos, certainly we'd all be happy to see rhinoceros back though.

Front Entrance Reconfiguration: Do we have any idea what the plans are for this?

Demo of Oceans Pool area: My mind went to the Oceans of Fun sea lion pool. Do we think that might be the target? It doesn't feel like it makes sense, but I'm not sure what else they might mean.

Tropics Building: For a moment I thought this was the Primates rehash. Most of the species in Small Mammal House and the Aquatic and Reptile Center are tropical so this could be a change to either of those buildings, though 'tropics' often refers more to rainforest species in zoo circles... perhaps even neotropics! I think as mentioned, a neotropics building off SMH could be a smart step forward, especially if they move the spider monkey, callimicos and tamarins.

Primate Refresh: Much-needed. The zoo has a great primate collection that could shine in a modern complex. I think one of the smartest choices here would be to create a mixed orangutan/siamang enclosure. Four ape habitats won't come cheap though and there'll still be space needed for monkeys...

Gold Coast: I'm a little glad this is on hold, to be honest. I don't think the previous public plans for this exhibit are feasible and even if they stick to the concept they might want to start from scratch and possibly merge it with the moose and wolf renovations from the Woods project proposal.

19. MKE Zoo guy

Front Entrance Reconfiguration: From everything that I know thus far they are looking to move the ticket sales and parking away from the street and place it at the entrance of the zoo. The hope is to get more people in the zoo and lessen the number of cars waiting on the road to get in. Also part of this remodel of the front they are hoping to expand the penguin exhibit and restructure the zoo mobile area a bit so that they will go under the walkway to the primates building instead of going thru the main plaza.

Demo of Oceans Pool area: I do recall part of the Alaskan Gold Coast they were going to move the seal lion show down from where it currently is to the corner that has the bear and badger in it. That would it would free up the land at the time for moving the outdoor traveling experiences over there and freeing up that land where that experience would have gone for the Woods expansion.

Thought it might be a name of a specific area that we as guest don’t know they call it that, I guess we will see in due time.

Tropics Building: This is one that I’ve struggled to wrap my head around the most because there’s several different projects that could fit into it.

Starting off with the one that I think it will be is the expansion to the ARC building. This one is suppose to expand the building, including the addition of saltwater tanks and a Komodo dragon too.

The next likely would the the expansion of the primates building to include a much larger and expansive space for the orangutans and could include additional exhibit space for smaller primates and tropical animals.

The less likely option would creating a tropical building for several different species, including primates and pigmy hippos and tapirs, etc. Though this would be something that I would like to see milwaukee get because it would expand their indoor offerings in the cooler weather, I haven’t heard any rumblings of this.

Alaskan Gold Coast: I’m sadden by this because it would have changed and would have finished off the south portion of the zoo. It would have moved the seal lion show down below, would have brought back polar bears (maybe, if there’s any to spear), and would have set up for the expansions in the northern area. Though I’d be excited for what’s replacing it.

Adventure Africa: Rhinos: I will say from what I’ve seen this will be a much more themed area then the previous expansions. So I know the previous have been lackluster but I have a bit more hope for this one. This was also designed under the new zoo director a little more.

20. JVM

Thank you for the further information. I didn't know the new director had ideas for Adventure Africa, I'd love to hear more.

I'd love to see Wild Woods and Africa's Gold Coast merged into a comprehensive North American trail when they return.

Hopefully we find out soon if Tropics is a revision of Escape to the Islands, The Jungle, or something entirely new...